What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Hodges Rapid Improvement

screeder

Juniors
Looking forward to his return. He's the sort of player who hits his straps as soon as he comes back from a long lay-off.

Dazzat

First Grade
Hodges ... one of my favourite players of all time. I'd only rate Meninga and Michael Cronin higher in regards to centres I've seen (giving away my age).

I don't know if any team has alternated centres during the course of games on a regular basis ... but having Hodges and Falou in the same team ... it would be worth the experiment.

8Ball

First Grade
If it were up to me, I'd have Hodges at fullback. One of the reasons we made that late season surge was having Hodges at the back, making line breaks consistently. A bit shoddy under the high ball, but I can think of a few other fullbacks in the game at the moment who aren't that great under the high ball.

Hoffman has only really had the one good game at fullback so far. Agree with the person who said he needs a few more of those before he cements his spot..

Lycon79

Juniors
Hodges has to stay in the centres his defence is second to none when it comes to centres and Hoffman is coming along nicely imo a steady improver

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
^^ I agree. As much as Hodgo would be a devastating attack weapon at the back ala 2006, Brisbane need to develop a fulltime custodian. Hoffman appears to have made it his spot for now, let him grow into it.

beads6

First Grade
Hodges is 4 years older also, so playing fullback IMO would be a bit tougher for him. Hoffman is doing an outstanding job I am happy for him to have proved me wrong.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Hey guys any more news on Hodges return, i heard Rd 19 or 20, he will be a huge inclusion to your team, into the run to the finals, and he will fresh and ready to rumble.

With the Raiders up sh#ts creek this year, i'm backing you guys to take down the Dragons.

some11

Referee
Test centre Justin Hodges was also missing on Friday night and there is no time frame on when he will return from an achilles injury with reports his progress in recent weeks has not been encouraging.

Not sure what "reports" the Courier Mail are talking about, I'd wait for a statement from the Broncos on his progress. Hodges shouldn't be out there until he and the docs are 100% confident its ready to go.

renouf

Juniors
I heard Henjak say that it would be the game after the buy, that was about a month ago.

Big Pete

Referee
Henjak was asked after the Tigers game if Hodges would be available for the Gold Coast game and he was quick to say no.

So I'd say at best Round 20.

some11

Referee
Cant post a link due to my post count but The Australian has an article saying Hodges isn't ready for a comeback.

applesauce

Bench
Hodges not ready for comeback
Stuart Honeysett and Margie McDonald From: The Australian July 10, 2010 12:00AM

JUSTIN Hodges' comeback has been put on hold as the Brisbane Broncos' star centre is struggling to overcome an achilles injury.

Hodges hasn't been sighted this season since rupturing his right achilles tendon at training in January, but the club was hopeful he might return after the bye this weekend.

The Broncos' next match is against Gold Coast at Skilled Park on Friday night and Hodges' return would have been welcomed by the team to keep its hopes alive of a top four finish.

But it is understood the club is not prepared to risk the former Test centre at this stage of the season, given any serious recurrence of his injury could see him sidelined for another lengthy period.

"Justin is just finding it a little hard to get it just right so there's no real set time on it for us," Brisbane football manager Peter Nolen said.

"Justin's was a very serious injury and it's the unknown that is frustrating Hodgo, but he's doing everything in his power to get back."

In other team news, Warriors fullback Lance Hohaia did not board the plane to Sydney yesterday for tomorrow's match against Penrith.

Hohaia has not been able to train this week due to a nagging groin injury. He was a late withdrawal from last weekend's match against Parramatta, won 35-6 by the Warriors.

It means centre Jerome Ropati will again slip back to fullback and second-rower Lewis Brown moves into the centres.

Despite a badly corked leg from last Wednesday's Origin match, Luke Lewis has asked to be put through a fitness test later today in a bid to play tomorrow.

Newcastle hooker Isaac de Gois will need painkillers to play against his former club Cronulla tomorrow at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

De Gois has already missed a month with a broken hand but was named to start.

It seems likely he will come off the bench as coach Rick Stone toys with the idea of starting Matt Hilder at hooker or even captain Kurt Gidley.

The NSW Origin star did not train with the Knights yesterday but starred in the hooking role for the Blues on Wednesday night.

Wes Naiqama would then move from the bench to fullback, which he filled while Gidley was in camp with NSW.

Link...