What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Kallis set for run blitz"...?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:
So how do you explain his innings today where SA were in desperate need of quick runs and he scored his 50 from nearly 100 balls?

I would assume it was because he was injured but then again wouldn't he have not bowled a ball if thats the case?

He was out of sorts it happens to players, Kallis is a top class batsman/all rounder and on his day he is one of the best in the world

Mighty Tiger said:
I would assume it was because he was injured but then again wouldn't he have not bowled a ball if thats the case?

He was out of sorts it happens to players, Kallis is a top class batsman/all rounder and on his day he is one of the best in the world

Well i have never seen him take a game away from Australia ever. I think thats what makes a player great. Lara, Tendulkar, POnting, Hayden and Gilchrist all have the ability to take games away from their oponent, which I beleive is much more valuable than a player who has a high average but is unable to dominate

Mighty Tiger

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:
Well i have never seen him take a game away from Australia ever. I think thats what makes a player great. Lara, Tendulkar, POnting, Hayden and Gilchrist all have the ability to take games away from their oponent, which I beleive is much more valuable than a player who has a high average but is unable to dominate

The problem is cricket is a statistics game, when we compare people we compare stats, when we look at records these are stats, in years to come those who haven't seen these great players play will just compare these figures

He is a match winner in his right but not with the same flair about his game that Punter, Gilly, Hayden, Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid or Inzaman have nor does he bowl to the same effect of Lee, Ahktar, Warne, Murili and McGrath but he is a vital ingrediant to the South African side and even I one of Punters biggest fans (number 14 in his fan club hehehehehe ) admit that Kallis deserved to be towards the top of the world cricket rankings for 2005

I think the players listed above are clearly at a different level to all other players but at the same time I do think Kallis is above the group that is below these players

Mighty Tiger said:
The problem is cricket is a statistics game, when we compare people we compare stats, when we look at records these are stats, in years to come those who haven't seen these great players play will just compare these figures

He is a match winner in his right but not with the same flair about his game that Punter, Gilly, Hayden, Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid or Inzaman have nor does he bowl to the same effect of Lee, Ahktar, Warne, Murili and McGrath but he is a vital ingrediant to the South African side and even I one of Punters biggest fans (number 14 in his fan club hehehehehe ) admit that Kallis deserved to be towards the top of the world cricket rankings for 2005

I think the players listed above are clearly at a different level to all other players but at the same time I do think Kallis is above the group that is below these players

Fair comment, but I don't think cricket is just statistics. Sure thats how people will compare the players in years to come, but to me you have to look at what they have done and how they have gone about it, which is why its hard to compare batsmen of today to those we have never seen play the game

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
waltzing Meninga said:
Fair comment, but I don't think cricket is just statistics. Sure thats how people will compare the players in years to come, but to me you have to look at what they have done and how they have gone about it, which is why its hard to compare batsmen of today to those we have never seen play the game

I agree, but some people here think they are everything

Mighty Tiger

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:

I agree to some point.

Statistics tend to tell a story of that players career and ability, however at the same time you don't see great hooks, drives, cuts, classic catches, amazing deliveres or overall telling apperance when at the crease that players have over oponents

I can see arguments for both sides but I do think Kallis is world class however not as good as some make him out to be

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Fair comment, but I don't think cricket is just statistics.
Sure thats how people will compare the players in years to come, but to me you have to look at what they have done and how they have gone about it, which is why its hard to compare batsmen of today to those we have never seen play the game

But all of that stuff is covered by statistics.

If you want to see who they have performed against, look at their stats against each country.

If you want to see how quickly they scored, look at strike-rate.

If you want to see which conditions they favoured, look at their stats in different countries.

If you want to break their career down into different sections where their performances improved or declined, you can do that also.

If you are actually looking at how well a player performed (not how good he looked doing it, that's another matter altogether not related to actual performance) then I fail to see what isn't covered by stats.

Thierry Henry said:

But all of that stuff is covered by statistics.

If you want to see who they have performed against, look at their stats against each country.

If you want to see how quickly they scored, look at strike-rate.

If you want to see which conditions they favoured, look at their stats in different countries.

If you want to break their career down into different sections where their performances improved or declined, you can do that also.

If you are actually looking at how well a player performed (not how good he looked doing it, that's another matter altogether not related to actual performance) then I fail to see what isn't covered by stats.

The stats for this game will show Kallis scored 150 odd runs.

They will not show that he batted his side out of the match. They will not show the situation of the match in which he scored his runs. They will not show that he ran out Hershell gibbs who could have taken the match away.

They will not show how much pressure he put on his batting partners during the second innings contributing to their dismissals

They will also not show that he was plumb LBW on 9 runs and only really scored 59 ligitimate runs this match

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
waltzing Meninga said:
The stats for this game will show Kallis scored 150 odd runs.

They will not show that he batted his side out of the match. They will not show the situation of the match in which he scored his runs.

Yes they will, actually. Cricinfo has all of the test scorecards you could ever want. If, in 20 years time, you ever wanted to prove a point about Kallis using examples, you could go back and show everyone the scorecard, when the wickets fell, how slowly he scored compared to the other batsmen, etc etc.

They will not show that he ran out Hershell gibbs who could have taken the match away

Nope, but what's your point? If you're trying to argue that a batsman isn't world class because he was a poor runner between wickets then you are clutching at straws.

They will not show how much pressure he put on his batting partners during the second innings contributing to their dismissals

Again, if you ever wanted to argue this, bring up the scorecards.

They will also not show that he was plumb LBW on 9 runs and only really scored 59 ligitimate runs this match

You can't be serious. Everyone knows there are bad decisions and good decisions over any player's career.