What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kane Linnett

• Thread starter Deleted member 10972
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10972

Apparently the Roosters have picked up Kane Linnett for 2010.

Any info on this bloke? I have seen him a few times, looks strong without being too fast, a rangy type centre a bit like Monaghan or Best.

DragonKiwi777

Juniors
Would care to share your source.

I would be pissed if we lost him, he's in our top squad and could be the NYC outside back that steps up.

We already lost Dean Whare to Manly

watatank

Coach
I've heard a couple of people say he's not that quick which is strange as I used to play against him (a while back now) and his most dangerous asset was his speed. I haven't seen a Dragons NYC match for a while though...shall have to see where that's coming from...

Not sure what you're asking for really...Linnett's a strong runner, runs good angles, is strong in defence, I'm not sure his passing game is one of his strengths though. Colin Best is a pretty good comparison

D

Deleted member 10972

Most have told me he is a strong line-running centre with a bit of size, but without being extremely bulky. Strapping, built a bit like Monaghan, but can finish very well.

How highly is he rated by the club?

And how do you feel he compares to other NYC centres like Junior Vaivai, Blake Davey, Sam Joe, etc.

watatank

Coach
Linnett trained with the NRL squad at the start of the season, he's highly rated within the club.

Ray Parlour

Juniors
The roosters have been pretty good at f.ucking up good youngsters over the years.

Maybe things will be different with Smith next year, guess we will find out.

Ayshford, Winterstein and Tamou have done a lot better this season since leaving the club.

D

Deleted member 10972

Ayshford was VERY young when he left us.

Winterstein isn't playing much better now than he did for U20's - can score a try, but has terrible hands and defense.

Tamou very good for our U20's last year, he is transferring that great form to first grade.

teegy

Juniors
i cannot find anything that mentions this as fact. any chance if it can be confirmed. i thought he would be a great centre for the saints

Wobbygong

First Grade
His favourite team was always the roosters so it makes sense and he is off contract:
Player Profile

<< Go back to full team list
00001880_Image.jpeg

Kane Linnett
Position : Centre
Junior Clubs : Port Kembla Blacks

Biography Year started at Dragons : 2007

When does your contract end with the Dragons : 2009

2008 Club : Dragons

Goal for 09 season : Play consistently and hopefully play first grade

Toughest Individual opponent : Tony Williams

Favourite player of all time : Justin Hodges

Advice to young players : Train hard

Toughest team to play against & why ? Warriors - they are big and fast

Most admired opposition player : Justin Hodges

What team did you support growing up ? Roosters

Where and what age did you start playing rugby league ? 6 - Windang Pelicans

Career highlight : Playing Premier League in 2007

Who has had the biggest influence on your career ? Parents

All time favourite sports hero : Michael Phelps

What are you looking to do post-football ? Environmental work

Did you play any other sports growing up ? Rugby Union and Athletics

What do you enjoy doing outside football ? Fishing and spearfishing

What is your favourite childhood memory ? Going on holidays to Kioloa

Best birthday present you have ever received : Bike

Favourite TV show : The Simpsons

Favourite movie : Step Brothers

What has been the most important lesson you have learnt from your parents ? Balance your life

Favourite band : U2

Favourtie food : Chicken Pastabake

Down to your last $10, how do you spend it ? Food

Which reality TV show do you think you would last the longest on Australian Idol, Big Brother, or Survivor ? Survivor

Favourite holiday destination : Mollymook

Wobbygong

First Grade
I heard Brian Smith is going to have a crack at some young Dragons this time armed with a rooster cheque book.

fortae

Bench
It should say Kane Linnett > Brian Smith because he was heading to Newcastle earlier in the year.

I don't see the comparisons to Best or Monaghan. He hasn't shown anything like their athleticism, footwork ... nor jumping ability, despite being taller than both of them.

He's gone from relatively unknown to "overrated" mainly because he has played on the left side outside Mundine and then Henry, along with a strong backrower in Marketo. The good thing about him is that he came through as a right centre and has handled playing on the left. He's a solid defender but not all that outstanding.

He's impressive among a list of fairly unimpressive centres heading the stats in the NYC, where average players are lauded depending on how much ball they get and how strong the team around them is ... they are galaxies away from the class of Croker, Wright, Idris, Vidot, Tomane, Gordon that stood out last year. Players like Foran, Whare, Griffin, Copley, Low are better centres.

Personally I saw Linnett drifting between centre/backrow and taking a long while to show his worth in first grade. He'll be a solid player in a strong team ... although a truly strong team would see him in the NSW Cup for a couple of years.