What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroo captaincy

Misty Bee

First Grade
If I was a betting man, I'd have a few on Craig Gower to be tast skipper. As the halfback spot is up for grabs (and with him grabbing it) it makes logical sence that, seeing that he is club captain of a premiership winning side, that he get the nod.Darren Lockeyer has only captained 3 origin games, and is not even club captain. I know he is favorite, but after last night, I dunno....

Would they give the test captaincy to a guy that more than likely wouldn't be in the side if all players were available? Gower has had an awesome year and has led Penrith better than anyone, but Joey would still be the number 1 half in the selectors eyes and when fit would be the first bloke picked.

Lockyer has been around for a while now and will handle the job fine

Misty Bee

First Grade
CouldaBeenAnything said:
Would they give the test captaincy to a guy that more than likely wouldn't be in the side if all players were available? Gower has had an awesome year and has led Penrith better than anyone, but Joey would still be the number 1 half in the selectors eyes and when fit would be the first bloke picked.

Lockyer has been around for a while now and will handle the job fine

Geoff Toovey captained Australia after the 1996 Grand Final, after Joey was ruled out.

My point is that Lockeyer has only a few games as captain, unlike Gower, who, as skipper, has now proved himself at the very highest level.

JJ

Immortal
Why does it matter that Johns would be half if he was fit? If Gower is the best captain available, then he should get the job. Regardless, I think Lockyer deserves a shot at it.

Also, although Gower is clearly the best half avaiable, we all know that Kimmorley will get the job, come hell or high water - maybe he'll be captain, assistant coach, and the coach's roomy too?

Rusty

Juniors
If Kimmorley gets picked at halfback let alone in the team then their will be uproar within the NRL.It will be joke :lol:

Scotty_Sattler

Juniors
Nah you cant give it to Gower.
Basically cause of the reason once Andrew Johns gets fully fit he wont be in the side.
You have to give it to someone who will always be in the side. Description = Darren Lockyer.

That and the fact hes more experienced at this level and the closest thing to the best player in the world besides Andrew Johns

Mad Dogg

Juniors
And it's not as if Lockyer isn't experienced at being captain. Besides the Origin games, he captained Brisbane almost all of 2001 after Tallis had his neck injury.

Booyah

Bench
Misty Bee said:
If I was a betting man, I'd have a few on Craig Gower to be tast skipper. As the halfback spot is up for grabs (and with him grabbing it) it makes logical sence that, seeing that he is club captain of a premiership winning side, that he get the nod.Darren Lockeyer has only captained 3 origin games, and is not even club captain. I know he is favorite, but after last night, I dunno....

Well, Well. Have a change of heart did we?

Yesterday you were berrating the man for being an Australian Benchy. Now you're leading the charge for him to Captain Australia.

Make up your mind.

salivor

First Grade
Lockyer is captain and Kearns is vice captain. End of story, just the way it should be. Lockyer will captain QLD from now on and he should be captaining Brisbane ahead of Tallis. Hes a hell of a lot more level headed when the pressure is on than the ragging bull.