What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kangaroo tours

Last Week

Bench
I wouldn't be surprised if aus,nz & eng start the tri nations again in one of the two "tour" years

So it would look like this

World cup
Tours (england host australia one cycle & nz the next
Fed cup (8 teams)
Tri nations (hosted by nz&oz)
World cup

I can tell you lot now too...england will not be having any rest years so if theres ever a trans tasman series england will play someone

I fear this aswell. But I can see it saying a 4 nations, to keep the number of fixtures down, or a single game round robin (each team plays once, then a final)

I really hope it stays as tours, with no tri nations, or any other competitions. In saying that though, when would a tour between NZ and Australia take place? With the set up the way it is, it's possible that a return tour could take up to 8 years to happen.

roughyedspud

Coach
That's a pretty good schedule too and I don't mind the tri nations as it gives each side a home game against the other big 2, so is a boost for each nation. You seem to infer that the tri nations should only be hosted in Aus and NZ though?

I think the aussies have made it pretty clear they won't play full internationals the year after the world cup, although I believe they will have to play NZ at least once in the post season.

Nz & oz would host a tri nations in liu of hosting individual series..

When you host a tri nation it could double up as a trans tasman series...cos you'll play a post season "warm up game"..then 2 tri nations games...so you'll have your 3game series....and a tri nations to boot

So...

After a world cup england host oz
Before a world cup you two host a tri nations (thats englands tour down under
After the next world cup england host nz
Then before the world cup england host nz

Understand what i mean??

Last edited:

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
hopefully scotland will kick into gear after they play in the 2016 4 nations,a scottish team in the english leagues has been on the cards for a couple of years..

but before we jump on nations for having poor domestic setups...its worth reminding some people that the kiwi domestic scene is a absolute joke..their season is 6 games long for christ sake!

You do understand that is just the representative games? Most District competitions start in April and run to August before the Representative Competition kicks in....NZ has over 160 clubs...

I cant see Scotland kicking on.....they haven't since the 2013 RLWC, so cant see that changing....just expect to see Scotland with a heritage stacked team for next years four nations....in fact I think they will struggle and get pumped. I expect them to finish up with the worst record of all teams that have participated in the tournament.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Spud, Nigel definitely wanted the GB Lions to tour the SH after the Rugby Union Lions did so.

That is 100% accurate.

As for steve mascord, you've got to remember that Steve has been present at several meetings (RLIF, RLEF, Challenge Cups etc.) where he has been present with Nigel. I'm not saying that you're twitter conversation is inaccurate, but you know the saying. Where there's smoke...

Also, the WRL took over South Wales scorpions after the owner walked away. That wasn't a sign of strength. They've actually just off loaded it to new owners.

I agree with you Spud that GB should not return. England should tour down under, as Australia should tour the NH.

But to be completely serious, the development in Scotland is so bad. They've had Sport Scotland money drop, as well as RFL money disappear (not that I completely disagree with that). In fact, Ireland has more activity than Scotland now.

deal.with.it

Juniors
And yet, how does Scotland remain with Full Member status, a 4 nations berth and auto qual for the WC.

And while I'm at it, why has no one reported on the USA qualifying without full member status? Will they have enough time to get the full member numbers they need?

Pommy

Coach
I wouldn't be surprised if aus,nz & eng start the tri nations again in one of the two "tour" years

So it would look like this

World cup
Tours (england host australia one cycle & nz the next
Fed cup (8 teams)
Tri nations (hosted by nz&oz)
World cup

I can tell you lot now too...england will not be having any rest years so if theres ever a trans tasman series england will play someone

By federations cup do you mean just European? If so whats the point in England playing in such a cup? It will have no benefit for England and it would hardly make it a worthwhile event for the other 7 teams. At least in the short term.

roughyedspud

Coach
As for steve mascord, you've got to remember that Steve has been present at several meetings (RLIF, RLEF, Challenge Cups etc.) where he has been present with Nigel. I'm not saying that you're twitter conversation is inaccurate, but you know the saying. Where there's smoke...

steve mascord was not present at any meetings!!

jim_57

Staff member
I wouldn't mind a return to the tri-nations once every four years IF each 2nd tier nation from the host region gets a game against a 'big 3' nation on their bye weeks or warm up. With Euro & Pacific Cups running at the same time.

deluded pom?

Coach
And yet, how does Scotland remain with Full Member status, a 4 nations berth and auto qual for the WC.

And while I'm at it, why has no one reported on the USA qualifying without full member status? Will they have enough time to get the full member numbers they need?

Maybe you've just answered your first question. If the RLIF want to impose certain restrictions on entry into the WC qualifiers then for me the rules have to be met by all teams on the day the qualifiers begin, not two years later. A lot of things can happen in two years but then a lot of nothing can happen in two years also.

Is this the only Kangaroos thread. Hopefully in lieu of the postponed WC our Kangaroos will be playing some end of season Tests against the Kiwis or Pacific Island nations. Who is your Kangaroo 17? I will have a crack at mine.

Teddie
Holmes
Turbo 1
Mitchell
Ponga
Luai
Cleary
Papalii
Cook/McInness
Turbo2
Murray
Fifita
JDB

Ponga/Wighton (utility)
Haas
Saifiti/Tino
Crichton.
Lomax/Papa 18th man.

I'd like to include at least one Dragon.. JDB. Despite two years in the league wilderness he still has it. Shudda been picked few years back but McGuire kept getting the nod then it was Turbo 2. Jack's time has come to lock todays poor excuse for a scrum. Cant separate the two prospective hookers. Both are quick, good defenders with a neat short kick if needed. My gut says McInnes but Cook played SOO.
I am picking only four Maroons. Papalii, Ponga, Holmes, Fifita.. with big Tino a possible. Was not sure where to put Ponga.. he can play fb, 5/8 or in the backs. No reason why he cant fit in as back up hooker too. So he is my super sub if he does not make the starting side.. Wighton can play a similar role but think Ponga is a bit classier. The rest pick themselves given the Blues SOO dominance this year. I reckon Zac Lomax is not that far away from national rep footy. Making him my smokie for the WC.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What happened to the pre-COVID plan of regional tournaments every two years? Pacific Cup including Aus & NZ and a Euro Cup including England

The_Frog

First Grade
Is this the only Kangaroos thread. Hopefully in lieu of the postponed WC our Kangaroos will be playing some end of season Tests against the Kiwis or Pacific Island nations. Who is your Kangaroo 17? I will have a crack at mine.

Teddie
Holmes
Turbo 1
Mitchell
Ponga
Luai
Cleary
Papalii
Cook/McInness
Turbo2
Murray
Fifita
JDB

Ponga/Wighton (utility)
Haas
Saifiti/Tino
Crichton.
Lomax/Papa 18th man.

I'd like to include at least one Dragon.. JDB. Despite two years in the league wilderness he still has it. Shudda been picked few years back but McGuire kept getting the nod then it was Turbo 2. Jack's time has come to lock todays poor excuse for a scrum. Cant separate the two prospective hookers. Both are quick, good defenders with a neat short kick if needed. My gut says McInnes but Cook played SOO.
I am picking only four Maroons. Papalii, Ponga, Holmes, Fifita.. with big Tino a possible. Was not sure where to put Ponga.. he can play fb, 5/8 or in the backs. No reason why he cant fit in as back up hooker too. So he is my super sub if he does not make the starting side.. Wighton can play a similar role but think Ponga is a bit classier. The rest pick themselves given the Blues SOO dominance this year. I reckon Zac Lomax is not that far away from national rep footy. Making him my smokie for the WC.
To'o and JAC would be the wingers. Mitchell is suspended, so they'd have to find someone else. No shortage of contenders. Cleary will go under the knife the minute his NRL commitments are completed and without him you probably wouldn't have Luai. So you probably have the Qld halves. Yeo would be the 13, I can't see how JDB could possibly play for Australia at this stage. He's been strong in a losing side but there are a lot of people ahead of him.

Mitchell is suspended,
Oh. Doesn't that count only for club games? So who do you have replacing Mitchell.

Cleary will go under the knife.

Then it is likely Munster and DCE. Munster yes.. but reckon there are better halves than Cherry Evans. Take a gamble and debut Sam Walker. He looks our best since Cronk came on the scene.
He's been strong in a losing side
Precisely. Why the selectors should given him a crack. Jack has been unlucky in the past. Perhaps off the bench.

Last edited:

Latest posts