What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos vs Kiwis Test Match

Big Pete

Referee
Considering Cam Smith isn't considered a horseman I'm not that worried.

Cam Smith > any player England have produced, period.

roughyedspud

Coach
when i came up with the 4 horsemen concept its was based on the fact that it was always slater & inglis that scored the tries and thurston & lockyer that set them up.....those 4 players ARE game changers..

as good as cam smith is,best hooker in the world and all that not got a problem in saying that,he's not a 'horseman' because any hooker in the world can supply the ball to lockyer & thurston for them to do their magic...

not being a 'horseman' is no slight on cam smith as a player....and considering my '4 horseman' is supposed to be aload of shyte....some people are taking it very seriously lol especially since it was'nt me that dragged it up from 12months ago :lol:

Big Pete

Referee
Great argument as per usual.

Smith has Hanley covered in every aspect but a running game. Hanley could never control a game as good as Smith can.

hutch

First Grade
Great argument as per usual.

Smith has Hanley covered in every aspect but a running game. Hanley could never control a game as good as Smith can.

There is no point arguing with imbeciles who make ridiculous statements such as you did. You said smith is better than any English player who has played rugby league since 1895. He isn't, I am right, you are wrong as per usual. No need to explain myself as it is once again obvious you have no idea what you're on about and have a complete lack of regard for the history of the sport!

Big Pete

Referee
You know you have nothing when your best argument is 'I'm right, you're wrong'. Face it, you can't form a plausible argument so you resort to the usual childish post filled with insults where you throw the toys out of the cot. I know it's a big statement, but at this stage I don't see how I'm wrong.

Joker's Wild

Coach
As much as I think Smith is a merkin, I have to agree with Pete on this one

While Hanley was a game breaker at the height of his career, he was always prone to making the stupid play when the pressure was on. Smith is a complete footballer and like Lockyer, rarely loses his cool on the paddock.

Smiths work out of dummy half is the best in the game, probably the best there has ever been given what is expected from hookers in the modern game

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
As much as I think Smith is a merkin, I have to agree with Pete on this one

While Hanley was a game breaker at the height of his career, he was always prone to making the stupid play when the pressure was on. Smith is a complete footballer and like Lockyer, rarely loses his cool on the paddock.

Smiths work out of dummy half is the best in the game, probably the best there has ever been given what is expected from hookers in the modern game

Didn't Smith go about half the NRL season without making a mistake?

I remember headlines that read "NRL's perfect player" or something along that.

roughyedspud

Coach
yep..the 1st 12 games he did'nt make 1 mistake...

though the cynic in me would say he obviously does'nt take enough chances then

hutch

First Grade
You know you have nothing when your best argument is 'I'm right, you're wrong'. Face it, you can't form a plausible argument so you resort to the usual childish post filled with insults where you throw the toys out of the cot. I know it's a big statement, but at this stage I don't see how I'm wrong.

thats fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion and i probably went over the top on this one by calling you an imbecile. although my argument of "hanley is better than smith" is on par with your argument that "smith > any player england have produced, period."

i can go with all the stats in the world to suit my argument:
- hanley covered positions in both the backs and forwards: wing, centres, five-eigth, lock forward.
- played at the highest level in both hemispheres;
- played 34 times for great britain, captained his country
- 396 tries in 479 club games (that is unbelievable), 55 in one year for bradford and 63 one year for wigan, 41 one year for leeds as a forward!
- golden boot winner, 4 challenge cups, 4? premierships, blah blah blah.

but i am judging my opinion on what i saw watching him. he had an aura about him during his time in australia and could completely change a game within a minute. from what i have seen of him in the uk he was a once in a generation type player who completely stood out in any team he played in. some of his achievements are remarkable!

smith is (or is going to be) a legend of our sport and is probably the best number 9 to play the game. he has also won a golden boot and has also won a dally m award in the toughest competition in thw world! you might even be right with your opinion that he is better than any english player in history, but i personally dont put him in hanleys class yet and there are english players who are held in higher regard than hanley.

Big Pete

Referee
hutch said:
thats fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion and i probably went over the top on this one by calling you an imbecile. although my argument of "hanley is better than smith" is on par with your argument that "smith > any player england have produced, period."

Difference is, I wasn't arguing, just making a point. You were making an argument against that point and failed to elaborate on it. But you've remedied that so it's fine.

And yes, Hanley was a fine player. But I'd still take Smith. Smith controls a game as well as any player I've seen, and yes that includes Lewis, Lockyer and Johns. Hanley may have been a more versatile player, but Smith has mastered the toughest position in the game and refined it to a point where he made a player of Buderus' calibre look insignificant. Rugby League, at it's very core, is a team game and while Hanley may stand out as an individual, he isn't as great a team player like Smith. Which isn't to say Hanley is the s**ts. It's just Smith is one of the best players of all time and I can't believe anyone could underrate him.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Difference is, I wasn't arguing, just making a point. You were making an argument against that point and failed to elaborate on it. But you've remedied that so it's fine.

And yes, Hanley was a fine player. But I'd still take Smith. Smith controls a game as well as any player I've seen, and yes that includes Lewis, Lockyer and Johns. Hanley may have been a more versatile player, but Smith has mastered the toughest position in the game and refined it to a point where he made a player of Buderus' calibre look insignificant. Rugby League, at it's very core, is a team game and while Hanley may stand out as an individual, he isn't as great a team player like Smith. Which isn't to say Hanley is the s**ts. It's just Smith is one of the best players of all time and I can't believe anyone could underrate him.

Pete, you're 21 . You couldn't have seen very much of Lewis let alone Hanley. What are you basing your opinion on?