What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos vs Lions next week...

LESStar58

Referee
For anybody not familiar with the stadium for next weeks game (I only just found out it was where they had the Commonwealth Games in 02 :oops: ) this is the fantastic stadium where the greatest rivalry in sport (outside of SOO that is :lol: ) will go down:

city_of_manchester_stadium_203.jpg

City%20of%20Manchester%20Stadium.jpg

city-of-manchester-stadium-256x192.jpg

stad.jpg

City%20Stadium%202.jpg

cityofManchesterstadium3.jpg

Maybe an English fan can tell me...is this where Manchester City Soccer Club play? It looks like a fair dinkum, state of the art venue. Pretty hi-tech compared to old Trafford which (while I've never been there) would certainly have the atmosphere but MCS looks like a real 21st century venue! What is the capacity?

I think after seeing GB get done by a second-string Australian side last year it would be the best thing in the world for a GB fan to get down to the ground and watch our BEST team go around. I don't think they'll have any trouble getting a crowd of 30K-40K in!

COME ON ENGLISH FANS! MAKE THE EFFORT!

innsaneink

Referee
At least its not a soccer ground and the players wont be concerned about possibly smashing into a fence.

In-goal

Bench
Man City moved away from Main Road to take up full time residency at the CoM after the last commonwealth games, should be outstanding viewing as i belive this will be the strongest G.B. side since 1972 the last time the ashes were won by GB.

GB Lion

Juniors
After the Commonwealth Games in 2002 the Athletics track was ripped up so there could be more seating for the Football team Manchester City.

I think the Attendance is 48,000 or 42,000????

A good stadium i have heard with great atmosphere when full.

Cant wait for next saturday, should be a cracker of a game.

JasonE

Bench
Had a look at that website with the latest pics of the Stadium, it looks unbelievable and the atmosphere with the crowd so close to the pitch should be amazing, just looking at the pics makes you shiver with anticipation at whats coming up next saturday.

Simo

First Grade
Yeah I thought the same thing about Stadium Aus, I thought it was it at first :lol:

Looks AWSOME, whats the ticket sales like???

Whats in that link?? By the sounds of it I probably shouldnt click on it.

Dogboy

Juniors
If you don't mind a bit of a plug, the structural design of the stadium was done by engineering firm Arup (my company!) and the architecture by Arup Associates (our architectural practice). The main engineer on the project is the head of our office here in Sydney, and he also did the Sydney Football Stadium and the redevelopment of Lang Park amongst other things. Recently we've been doing the National Swimming Centre for the Beijing Olympics, and the new grandstand for the Newcatsle Knights.

For the techincally minded, here's an article on how the stadium was designed to transform from an athletics arena to a football ground. It's got some good piccies too.

http://www.arup.com/DOWNLOADBANK/download153.PDF

And here's some of our other stadia and arenas....

http://www.arup.com/skill.cfm?pageid=571

PS Although I'm an Aussie, come on GB!

Jeffles

Bench
Not that the playing field is 116.5m long. So we may see a full length field and decent in goals.

Latest posts