What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Karl Filiga?

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
Hey guys was just thinking that Karl's name has not been thrown around in the past few weeks in regards to if and when he will be playing 1st grade, really rate him though do understand probably not match fit yet, but would love to see a future backline reading something like Hayne, Filiga, Loko, any thoughts?

benoir91

Juniors
he keeps picking up a niggling injury with the elbow he dislocated in the pre season, he will be with wenty in rd 1, but will play first grade at some stage this year

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hey guys was just thinking that Karl's name has not been thrown around in the past few weeks in regards to if and when he will be playing 1st grade, really rate him though do understand probably not match fit yet, but would love to see a future backline reading something like Hayne, Filiga, Loko, any thoughts?

Well he's in the official top 25: http://www.parraeels.com.au/default.aspx?s=profile-player

But so are 27 other blokes.

Eels Dude

Coach
Our top 25 is Atkins, Burt, Hayne, Hicks, Hindmarsh, Horo, Humble, Keating, Lasalo, Mannah, Manuokafoa, Maguire, Mitchell, Fui, Morts, Pele, Poore, Reddy, Robson, Shacks, Smith, Etu, Walker, Webb, Whatuira.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Our top 25 is Atkins, Burt, Hayne, Hicks, Hindmarsh, Horo, Humble, Keating, Lasalo, Mannah, Manuokafoa, Maguire, Mitchell, Fui, Morts, Pele, Poore, Reddy, Robson, Shacks, Smith, Etu, Walker, Webb, Whatuira.

Is this listed anywhere online.

Eels Dude

Coach
Is this listed anywhere online.

Nope. But the NRL official season guide has every club's top 25 squads, as well as every single player's stats from last year and career achievements etc. Can grab a copy for 10 bucks at the newsagent, though probably not as easy to come across down in Melbourne.

oldmancraigy

Coach

Yeah - Filiga is probably not match fit yet since he's only been playing footy for the club the last couple of years. :sarcasm:

He's 23 this year and still can't crack the top 25. I think we should definitely be expecting him to play top grade reeeeaaaaaal soon :lol:

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah - Filiga is probably not match fit yet since he's only been playing footy for the club the last couple of years. :sarcasm:

He's 23 this year and still can't crack the top 25. I think we should definitely be expecting him to play top grade reeeeaaaaaal soon :lol:

That's a bit harsh. The guy was going pretty well for Wenty last season until he went back to NZ to be with his family after the death of his brother. He could and probably would have played first grade late last season if it wasn't for that. Obviously the guy's got to prove himself. But he's certainly not a lost cause.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nope. But the NRL official season guide has every club's top 25 squads, as well as every single player's stats from last year and career achievements etc. Can grab a copy for 10 bucks at the newsagent, though probably not as easy to come across down in Melbourne.

Nah I might be able to.

There was a lone RLW at the servo last week.

natheel

Coach
would like to see karl get a run somewhere in first grade this year thats for sure. had alot of talent as a junior.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's a bit harsh. The guy was going pretty well for Wenty last season until he went back to NZ to be with his family after the death of his brother. He could and probably would have played first grade late last season if it wasn't for that. Obviously the guy's got to prove himself. But he's certainly not a lost cause.

I am sceptical about him.

Just like with Jono Wright, 24 is a bit old to still be unproven in first grade. I understand Filiga's had personal and injury problems, and some blokes just mature later, but Polynesians are notoriously early bloomers.

Maybe if he was a skinny white guy I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but you'd think a Poly in his mid-20s is fully grown.

Eels Dude

Coach
I am sceptical about him.

Just like with Jono Wright, 24 is a bit old to still be unproven in first grade. I understand Filiga's had personal and injury problems, and some blokes just mature later, but Polynesians are notoriously early bloomers.

Maybe if he was a skinny white guy I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but you'd think a Poly in his mid-20s is fully grown.

I'm sceptical also. Karl is only 22 for the record though, not 24. He was released by the Sharks for personal reasons when he was just 20, at 21 he was given indefinate time off by Wenty for reasons mentioned above. Obviously this will be a make or break year for him... but he's still young enough to have a full career ahead of him and hopefully for his sake he doesn't have any more disruptions that prevent him from being the player he's capable of becoming.

hindy111

Post Whore
If he is that good he doesnt have that much to beat to be honest.If he cant crack first grade with the centres parra have than he never will

Eels Dude

Coach
I think Reddy and Whatuira are solid first graders. Fats/Whats/Phats isn't even 30 yet.

Still be good to have a bit of youth in our backline though. Filiga is more of a second rower anyway. He's in the SBW mould. Start his career in the centres but then graduate to the backrow.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Isn't Horo turning 25 this year? Or am I wrong?

My point is - never say never. Karl has size, speed and skill. He has to work on his game, of course - but I see no reason why he couldn't make it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'm sceptical also. Karl is only 22 for the record though, not 24. He was released by the Sharks for personal reasons when he was just 20, at 21 he was given indefinate time off by Wenty for reasons mentioned above. Obviously this will be a make or break year for him... but he's still young enough to have a full career ahead of him and hopefully for his sake he doesn't have any more disruptions that prevent him from being the player he's capable of becoming.

Fui;s career didn;t even look like a nrl creer untl he was around 24