What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Karl Oloapu

Big Pete

Referee
WWOS is reporting that Oloapu was misled by Broncos officials and pressured into signing with the club without sufficient legal representation. He further accuses the club of losing their 'Letter Of Offer' and failing to provide his new management with copies of the contract.

Big Pete

Referee
This has been a story that's been ongoing for months now and it appears Oloapu's management has upped the ante by taking it to the press. It's going to an interesting test for the Broncos management who quelled the Payne Haas release and while they're sticking to their guns, they've got a lot of work ahead of them to get everyone on the same page.

If Oloapu's side of the story is correct, this reflects poorly on the Broncos administration. This deal was supposedly signed in January, so it was under the Donaghy administration and while we haven't heard from their side yet it does seem like the horrifically bad handling of Sam Walker.

On the other hand, if this is a hit piece the interesting detail is that the contract was signed in January 2022. That means Oloapu was aware of The Dolphins and was still willing to sign. Earlier the narrative appeared to be that Karl had committed to the Broncos before The Dolphins were granted their license and being a Dolphins junior there was a push from both him and The Dolphins to be apart of their foundation squad.

If this results in Oloapu leaving the Broncos, it's another highly rated prospect leaving the club. It seemed earlier in the season they picked Oloapu ahead of Jye Gray who was the best five eighth in U/18s so to potentially lose both would be a bitter blow. The Broncos continue to rely heavily on graduates from their Elite Development Program but they've bled a lot of talent and there are concerns about their competitiveness moving forward.

Big Pete

Referee
The Broncos have responded.

They paint the picture that the deal was a months long process that began in November and was finalised in January. They didn't address the events that took place when Karl signed, but did discredit Oloapu's camp and revealed that Oloapu's camp wanted a substantial upgrade in June after he got new management.

Both sides are out there now, we just need to see how it plays out.

Showtime

Juniors
Have you seen him play Pete? Is he any good? I’m sure there’s a lot more to the story but it sounds like the dolphins came along and offered him a lot more than what he signed for and he’s having a tantrum.

Big Pete

Referee
Have you seen him play Pete? Is he any good? I’m sure there’s a lot more to the story but it sounds like the dolphins came along and offered him a lot more than what he signed for and he’s having a tantrum.
That seems to be the likely story, especially with news that the Dolphins continued to pursue Deine Mariner despite him signing an extension with overtures of more money to break his contract.

I haven't had a close look at him but from what I've seen he ticks a lot of boxes. He's got a strong carry, he's got some nice variety to his kicking game and he more than holds his own in defence. The only question marks I have on him is his speed and kicking game but that will come to light soon enough. What I liked most is his ability to compete and step up when the game is on the line. That's really want you want from your playmakers more than anything else.

I could see him potentially playing first grade during the Origin period as a utility but I couldn't see him making an impact till 2024.

Big Pete

Referee
The latest on this is the NRL Salary Cap auditor weighed in and revealed the investigation into the Broncos management was still ongoing.

I presume we'll know the results of this investigation shortly but it seems odd that Brisbane were so adamant that they had been cleared. Maybe they were so confident after their meeting with the NRL they jumped to conclusions?

Showtime

Juniors
The latest on this is the NRL Salary Cap auditor weighed in and revealed the investigation into the Broncos management was still ongoing.

I presume we'll know the results of this investigation shortly but it seems odd that Brisbane were so adamant that they had been cleared. Maybe they were so confident after their meeting with the NRL they jumped to conclusions?
You have a gut feeling on the outcome? There’s a part of me that thinks just let him sit in reserve grade for the next 3 years if he doesn’t want to play for the broncos. Maybe the younger broncos can get in his ear.

Big Pete

Referee
No new updates.

Hasn't appeared in any pre-season photos and the NRL never officially cleared the Broncos of any wrong-doing.

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane have given him permission to negotiate with other clubs.

Dolphins are the favourites, Bulldogs are also in the conversation.

Brisbane are just asking for a hefty transfer fee.

Still no word on the NRL's investigation into the Broncos contract negotiations. If they were cleared, it's pretty poor this has been able to transpire the way it reportedly has.

Big Pete

Referee
More updates

Oloapu is training with the Norths Devils.

Brisbane placed a $500,000 transfer fee on Oloapu.

Brisbane also refuse to release him to The Dolphins.

Source: Travis Meyn of the Courier Mail

Jacko955

Juniors
Oloapu was spotted at Jobel’s in Sydney with manger Matt Adamson all the Bulldogs players where present there as well as coaching staff

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126_022406_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126_022406_Samsung Internet.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 11

Big Pete

Referee
The 500k transfer that Canterbury are paying is interesting. What is it for, what were the Broncos paying him, considering he wasn't in their 30 man squad.
Peace of mind after spending time and resources on his development.

Keep in mind, that was the Broncos opening offer. It stands to reason that Gus talked them down.

It was really their only recourse in this situation.

Big Pete

Referee
Who's next in the production line?
Marsden and Wynnum halfback Coby Black. He's just started Year 12, but he's signed with the Broncos till the end of '25 and I presume that involves a development deal.

Short term, they'll ride the loss out and see who steps up in the lower grades. Depth shouldn't enter the equation until late May when the Origin season begins so they'll have plenty of time.

If it's any consolation to the Broncos, you'd rather lose a player before he's begun his NRL apprenticeship instead of losing him after you've spent years on him soaking up that experience.

ALX25

Juniors
Marsden and Wynnum halfback Coby Black. He's just started Year 12, but he's signed with the Broncos till the end of '25 and I presume that involves a development deal.

Short term, they'll ride the loss out and see who steps up in the lower grades. Depth shouldn't enter the equation until late May when the Origin season begins so they'll have plenty of time.

If it's any consolation to the Broncos, you'd rather lose a player before he's begun his NRL apprenticeship instead of losing him after you've spent years on him soaking up that experience.

Braithen Scott from the Clydesdales looks a player as well. Few years off but definitely has the same zip as Jye Gray.

Latest posts