What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kaufusi, Henry and Likiliki - Official Knights Announcement

Nuffy

Bench
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Newcastle Knights Secure Kaufusi, Henry & Likiliki[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]The Coal & Allied Newcastle Knights have today secured former Australian International Antonio Kaufusi for the remainder of 2010, until the end of the 2012 season.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Kaufusi, 25, will join the Knights next week despite still having a contract which extended until the end of 2011 with the North Queensland Cowboys.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Kaufusi debuted for the Melbourne Storm against the Bulldogs in round 22, 2003, going on to represent Australia in 2006, Queensland in 2007 and Tonga in the World Cup of 2008.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]He also enjoyed considerable success with the Melbourne Storm between 2003 and 2008, including two grand final appearances.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]“With the way our current playing roster sits, the addition of a player of Antonio’s experience and ability is a massive boost to us here at the Knights,” Head Coach Rick Stone said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]“I’ve kept a close eye on him since he began playing in the Queensland Cup in the early 2000s, then through some very successful years at the Storm, and more recently with the Cowboys.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]“Antonio fits the exact requirements of what we need at this point in time and we are excited about him joining us next week.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]The former Bundaberg junior will commence training next week and will be available for selection when the Newcastle Knights play the Cronulla Sharks at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Sunday 11 July.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]“I have enjoyed my time in North Queensland with the Cowboys and appreciate what they have done for me,” Kaufusi said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]“The opportunity the Knights have offered me was too good to knock back and I feel this is the best thing for myself and my family for the future.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]The Knights have also signed exciting Toyota Cup players Beau Henry and Siuatonga Likiliki.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Henry and Likiliki, both 20, were named in the 2009 Toyota Cup team of the year, with Henry as Player of the Year.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Henry was widely considered to be the most exciting prospect on the market and Likiliki has already indicated his potential talent by making his first grade debut for the Warriors last year against the Parramatta Eels[/FONT]

I just hope we haven't needed to buy him out of his current contract to get him straight away, you'd have to think that the Cowboys needed the cap space after the spree they've been on.

PS - It was sent via Knights news email, not on their website yet, as soon as it is, I'll link.

Last edited:

88.Knights

Juniors
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Newcastle Knights Secure Kaufusi, Henry & Likiliki[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]The Coal & Allied Newcastle Knights have today secured former Australian International Antonio Kaufusi for the remainder of 2010, until the end of the 2012 season.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Kaufusi, 25, will join the Knights next week despite still having a contract which extended until the end of 2011 with the North Queensland Cowboys.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Kaufusi debuted for the Melbourne Storm against the Bulldogs in round 22, 2003, going on to represent Australia in 2006, Queensland in 2007 and Tonga in the World Cup of 2008.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]He also enjoyed considerable success with the Melbourne Storm between 2003 and 2008, including two grand final appearances.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]“With the way our current playing roster sits, the addition of a player of Antonio’s experience and ability is a massive boost to us here at the Knights,” Head Coach Rick Stone said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]“I’ve kept a close eye on him since he began playing in the Queensland Cup in the early 2000s, then through some very successful years at the Storm, and more recently with the Cowboys.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]“Antonio fits the exact requirements of what we need at this point in time and we are excited about him joining us next week.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]The former Bundaberg junior will commence training next week and will be available for selection when the Newcastle Knights play the Cronulla Sharks at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Sunday 11 July.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]“I have enjoyed my time in North Queensland with the Cowboys and appreciate what they have done for me,” Kaufusi said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]“The opportunity the Knights have offered me was too good to knock back and I feel this is the best thing for myself and my family for the future.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]The Knights have also signed exciting Toyota Cup players Beau Henry and Siuatonga Likiliki.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Henry and Likiliki, both 20, were named in the 2009 Toyota Cup team of the year, with Henry as Player of the Year.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Henry was widely considered to be the most exciting prospect on the market and Likiliki has already indicated his potential talent by making his first grade debut for the Warriors last year against the Parramatta Eels[/FONT]

I just hope we haven't needed to buy him out of his current contract to get him straight away, you'd have to think that the Cowboys needed the cap space after the spree they've been on.

PS - It was sent via Knights news email, not on their website yet, as soon as it is, I'll link.

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

timka4

Bench
Happy that Henry is 100% confirmed.

Kaufusi will most likely will join our under performing props. Hopefully he will miraculously become a much better forward than recent years. I wasn't even that impressed with him during his 'in form' years.

Likiliki - have never seen him play or heard of him, what style of centre / wing does he play (pretty sure that's his positions)

perverse

Referee
they are pissing on us and calling it rain with this Kaufusi signing. every article parades him as an international rep, etc... and i doubt it's fooling anyone. he's dogsh*t... and even at his best he was only mildly higher than dog sh*t.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Happy that Henry is 100% confirmed.

Kaufusi will most likely will join our under performing props. Hopefully he will miraculously become a much better forward than recent years. I wasn't even that impressed with him during his 'in form' years.

Likiliki - have never seen him play or heard of him, what style of centre / wing does he play (pretty sure that's his positions)

He's a centre, plays like Sau except a worse defender.

A potential diamond in the rough though. He bullies players with strength at U20 level simply because he can, but he has very good speed and footwork. He just needs time in first grade for him to realise that he has to rely on his other assets and can't spend all his time steamrolling players.

Hands can let him down at times too, but for the most part his attitude will decide how far he goes (not saying it's bad, but he has all the physical tools).

Adsy

Juniors
So at the start of the year or at some point during this season pretty much everyone here has said the 4 key position we needed to make signings in were halfback, centre, prop and second row.

Well this article confirms we just signed a halfback, centre and prop. Not saying they were the best options out there by any means but atleast the club seems to have addressed the positons we needed to improve or bolster.

So now onto the second row department and we have been linked in recent weeks to both O'Donnell brothers and now a host of Melbourne second rowers. Will be interesting to see which one we pick up.

roopy

Referee
On paper Kaufusi has played 111 firstgrade games, 2 grandfinals, 1 SOO and 1 test for Aus and several for Tonga. That gives him the best Resume in our forward pack, except maybe Simmo's - and he is only 25.

Johns Magic

Referee
It's unfortunate that the powers that be at the Knights thought that raiding the worst team in the competition was a good idea for a recruitment drive.

Even more unfortunate was raiding that club's reserve grade side's bench.