What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KEARNEY GONE!

gordynz

Juniors
Griffin, Toovey, Brown

The 3 coaches I'd rather not have. Hope they all get ruled out soon.
Who would be your preference? I think Griffin and Toovey can do well but maybe the Warriors arent the team for them. Something fresh like the Walker brothers could be interesting

Fitzgibbon is waiting for the Dragons job.

Which, he will get.

SK was an assistant under Bellamy and Wayne.
So not sure it worth the risk of a Fitzgibbon and Ryles.

We need someone who can develop talent or draw talent over.
Would be great to have both, but not sure who fits that bill. Possibly Wayne only? Who has ruled himself out.
Edit: Bellamy is also a contract option.

All I know is that not everyone will be happy with what ever decision is made.

Last edited:

Hov

Juniors
Kearney has coached under Bellamy and Bennett. The feedback about those 3 is very similar in that they are great man managers. They build great relationships with their players and really care about them which is important. Players love that shit and perform well because of it.

But the difference between SK and Bellamy/Bennett is the staff around them. Bellamy and Bennett have the pick of the best up and coming coaches in the game to join their staff. And let's be honest it's the assistants who do any technical coaching in the game. You cant tell me Bennet is out there coaching ruck control and tackle tech.

Who are SK's assistants again? Tony Iro - enough said. Payten - 1st grade rookie. Jones - great playmaker but seriously our halves have been shit for a long time and what has he done to help them.

I am not SKs biggest fan but I understand that it's a coaching team and not 1 person. IMO shouldve kept Kearney and f**k off the other 3. I bet the reaction from the players wouldnt have been that some of them were wanting to go home. Food for thought.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Kearney has coached under Bellamy and Bennett. The feedback about those 3 is very similar in that they are great man managers. They build great relationships with their players and really care about them which is important. Players love that shit and perform well because of it.

But the difference between SK and Bellamy/Bennett is the staff around them. Bellamy and Bennett have the pick of the best up and coming coaches in the game to join their staff. And let's be honest it's the assistants who do any technical coaching in the game. You cant tell me Bennet is out there coaching ruck control and tackle tech.

Who are SK's assistants again? Tony Iro - enough said. Payten - 1st grade rookie. Jones - great playmaker but seriously our halves have been shit for a long time and what has he done to help them.

I am not SKs biggest fan but I understand that it's a coaching team and not 1 person. IMO shouldve kept Kearney and f**k off the other 3. I bet the reaction from the players wouldnt have been that some of them were wanting to go home. Food for thought.

Another lateral thinker and student of the game...few and far between on the forums. Couldn't agree more. I'm not saying SK is the bomb either but you hit the nail on the head with the support (lack of) he's been subject to imo. There's 2 that are nice guys but wouldn't know what or how to do video of players and the opposition ffs, and one whose ambition has been used towards an end perhaps...
Did SK get to pick his staff? Doubt it and as Gould in his article said, a coach needs support from the top down and the autonomy/ authority to set his own programme to be successful (paraphrasing). SK definitely didn't get that at Parra (although every man and his dog blames him for the total dysfunction of that club when he was there - like he got a say in anything over the board and the resident 2 primadonnas Hayne & Hindmarsh). and I doubt he got it at the Warriors. The players know, the players (not all of them) know his worth...shame others don't know enough to let him run the course, at least till the end of this season.

He had the best (fitness) trainer there for a couple of years in Corvo.

I guess the talent draw also applies to the coaching staff around the coach we well.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
C’mon guys

That’s excuse central again for SK. As the head coach, you set the club culture, you set the structures and game plan for the style you want the team to play, and you have the final say on recruitment and retention (unless you’re McGregor) and you select the side each week among other things

The sample size is big enough to judge him a complete failure in all areas above over his tenure

If the likes of Bennett, Bellamy and Hasler didn’t think their assistants were up to it, they’d be out there taking the bulk of it on themselves, as it is their neck that is on the block

Last edited:

Hov

Juniors
C’mon guys

That’s excuse central again for SK. As the head coach, you set the club culture, you set the structures and game plan for the style you want the team to play, and you have the final say on recruitment and retention (unless you’re McGregor) and you select the side each week among other things

The sample size is big enough to judge him a complete failure in all areas above over his tenure

If the likes of Bennett, Bellamy and Hasler didn’t think their assistants were up to it, they’d be out there taking the bulk of it on themselves, as it is their neck that is on the block
Too often that's the excuse rolled out..sack the head coach he is responsible for EVERYTHING.... I doubt it. Too many CEO's meddling with staffing. Cameron letting SK choose his staff?? I doubt it.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Too often that's the excuse rolled out..sack the head coach he is responsible for EVERYTHING.... I doubt it. Too many CEO's meddling with staffing. Cameron letting SK choose his staff?? I doubt it.

You're just guessing though. I am too, but I would be very surprised if Kearney didn't get the coaches he was after.

Coaches are responsible for everything. Or most things. Look at the best coaches, the Bennetts, the Bellamys, the Haslers, the Robinsons who have consistent results. Send them to us tomorrow or anywhere, and the culture will change. That doesn't happen with any other position - the best player, the best assistant, the best CEO, the best trainer etc.

I agree with Beaver. Kearney has been here 3.5 years and we're getting worse. Forget this year, we were pathetic last year. Bugger this 'keep him until the rest of the year' stuff. I don't back this CEO much but he made the right decision to pull the trigger now and get things in order for 2021. Do we want to be ANOTHER year behind because we thought we had to listen to Jacinda and be kind through all this?

Rich102

Staff member
OK. My take on all this:

Robinson has bought the club outright. (The 50/50 deal with the ARL was never going to work.)

He has a vision of how the club is going to go forward and is prepared to invest the funds to make this happen, (Unlike Watson who was busy draining as much out as possible.)

First step is to clear the decks prior to hiring the coach he wants to implement this change. (Was Kearney going to be this person? His record with the club said no.) Also I am sure Peter O'Sullivan has had quite a lot of input as to what prospective new signings are looking for at the club.

Get the new coach in and then let him have a say in the support staff and players going forward. We have a lot of player contracts expiring this year and I think next years squad will look quite different.

Once the new coach is announced then prospective players will register their interest.

I haven't seen anyone write or say a bad word about SK as a person. However his coaching plan, to implement a Storm type game, just isn't working. We don't have the players with the skills to make it work and badly done it is a dull watch. The new owners have made the decision as is their right and duty. Dropping membership numbers speak for themselves.

This club has been going 25 years. It has been going backwards for the last 8 It badly needs to be rebuilt on a solid foundation.

Go the Warriors.

TheDMC

Bench
I wasn't (and still aren't) a Kearney hater and did hope he would succeed. But jeepers his selections and game plans have been horrendous for a long time, and that is entirely on him. Not on the club culture, not the CEO, not on the assistant coaches. High quality person, but not a high quality coach.

WellsNZ

Juniors
I see some people saying maybe we aren't the type of club for Toovey.

That isn't a problem with Toovey, that's a problem with the club and something that bringing in someone like him would hopefully change.

If players, or other parts of the organisation for that matter, aren't on board, then they can kindly f**k right off because they're part of the problem.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I wasn't (and still aren't) a Kearney hater and did hope he would succeed. But jeepers his selections and game plans have been horrendous for a long time, and that is entirely on him. Not on the club culture, not the CEO, not on the assistant coaches. High quality person, but not a high quality coach.
Sums it up perfectly

Tongue

Juniors
Looks like Bennett isnt interested - reported on 360 last night. Could be a smokescreen. Would he really want to take the place of his friend Kearney? And does he really need to come to NZ when their could be multiple Aus based teams looking for a new coach.

Bellamy already stated 2021 will be his last as a head coach - Id take Bellamy as manager and Ryles or Fitzgibbon as coach

JJ

Immortal
But the difference between SK and Bellamy/Bennett is the staff around them.

That is a difference, not the difference... I won't bother listing other differences, they should be self-evident

JJ

Immortal
Yeah - it's not personal, but I'm baffled that some people still can't see he's not much of a coach... both at the Eels and here, it's always someone's fault but his... FFS, he's THE COACH... buck stops with him playing wise, and as you say the game plans, selections, building of the squad, player development etc are on him...

Looks like Bennett isnt interested - reported on 360 last night. Could be a smokescreen. Would he really want to take the place of his friend Kearney? And does he really need to come to NZ when their could be multiple Aus based teams looking for a new coach.

Bellamy already stated 2021 will be his last as a head coach - Id take Bellamy as manager and Ryles or Fitzgibbon as coach

Apparently if journos as to be believed (haha), Wayne isn't shopping himself around and has no manager.
But others will be shopping him around and then taking the deals to him without his knowledge.
Basically gets offered his million a year and the person shopping him around take their X%
Wayne none the wise till the offer is in front of him.

Toovey still putting his hand up on NRL360.
Has spoken to someone over there and has been told the process will start soon.
First thing he wants to fix is attitude in defense.

Benny Elias was talking about wanting to be a Wallaby because of their song.
He may have written our recruiting/motivate song.
"I want to be a Warrior"
As we will not replace the All Black (as he stated).

Edit: Sorry wrong thread.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Mate, we haven't had a good coach for nine years. Every time this happens, we replace the old guy with a McClennan, a McFadden, a McElliott, a McKearney, a whole bunch of McMeals that come without any prizes or cool little kids toys.

I want George to come out and say who these coaches that contacted him are. Not in name, because I know he won't do that, but are they premiership coaches? Intrust Cup legends? Graham Lowe?
For sure. Been coming, but happened.

But not even a week, so for now, take the wins, Kearney is gone..........

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I danced when Chris and Stuart left, good times.

One must enjoy a day or two after years.......

Nobody is stealing my happy this week.