What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney tipped to replace Taylor

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26051779-5018866,00.html

Stephen Kearney and Michael Maguire tipped to replace Jason Taylor

By Brent Read and Peter Kogoy
September 10, 2009 Embattled South Sydney coach Jason Taylor will find out on Thursday whether he has a future with the club.
If, as seems distinctly possible, his tenure is terminated, attention is expected to quickly turn to Melbourne Storm assistants Stephen Kearney and Michael Maguire who are regarded as next cabs off the coaching ranks.
While the Rabbitohs board is yet to determine Taylor's future, The Australian has reported that an approach to Kearney could be imminent.
Kearney is a logical target for Souths given he has worked with several Rabbitohs players, including captain Roy Asotasi and hooker Issac Luke, in his role as New Zealand coach.
He was also on the coaching staff at Melbourne when Michael Crocker was at the club. Any approach, however, is contingent on the Rabbitohs board deciding to sever ties with Taylor over his behaviour at the club's end-of-season drinks.
Taylor was allegedly knocked out by one of his players - forward David Fa'alogo - at the end of an eight-hour drinking session. Souths chief executive Shane Richardson completed his investigation into the incident on Wednesday, after interviewing Fa'alogo.
Fa'alogo, who will play in England with Huddersfield next season, also spoke to Taylor on Wednesday but his manager Gavin Orr could not confirm reports the New Zealand international had apologised to his former coach.
Taylor has declined to comment on the incident although he did appear at the Dally M awards on Tuesday night.
The coach is alleged to have slapped Fa'alogo while they were at an inner-city hotel, prompting the backrower to retaliate.
Richardson's findings will be discussed with board members on Thursday. The final decision is likely to rest with Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe, who has publicly voiced his support for Taylor in recent weeks. However, Crowe's support may have wavered in light of revelations in recent days.
Crowe's co-owner Peter Holmes a Court confirmed the issue would be discussed but declined to comment on Taylor's future.
"We will review the facts when they are brought to the board and ensure that all the relevant considerations are made," Holmes a Court said.
"No one is rushing to make a rash decision. These things are often done with a hot head. I'm going to make sure all the facts are in place."
While Kearney would be the logical favourite to take over should Taylor be sacked, his appointment would not be without hurdles.
The Kiwi side will be involved in the Four Nations tournament, meaning Kearney would be unable to take the reins until November at the earliest. Maguire would also be given deep consideration given he is highly regarded in the coaching fraternity.
Premiership-winning coach John Lang, on the Rabbitohs staff as a coaching director, also shapes as a contender to replace Taylor.

coach

I like Kearney and Maguire is a smart up and coming young coach. Either of these two would be a huge improvement over Taylor.

What the hell I would be an improvement over Taylor and thats not saying a whole lot about my coaching ability either.

Dogmatix

Juniors
The worst thing Souths could do now is axe JT and replace him with a rookie coach with no NRL experience. Rookie coaches have no idea what they are doing

Steve Folkes is the guy to appoint if Souths are axing JT. Folkes would be the best option by far

But a rookie coach would likely be worse than JT or no better

Pistol

Coach
The worst thing Souths could do now is axe JT and replace him with a rookie coach with no NRL experience. Rookie coaches have no idea what they are doing

Steve Folkes is the guy to appoint if Souths are axing JT. Folkes would be the best option by far

I can see the point here but if you look at it, whilst Kearney has no NRL experience as a head coach, he's won a World Cup with New Zealand. Yes Wayne Bennett was there helping him out, but you dont win a comp like the WC if you dont have any skills as a coach. John Lang will be overseeing things anyways, so there is a support structure there.

hunters

Juniors
I can see the point here but if you look at it, whilst Kearney has no NRL experience as a head coach, he's won a World Cup with New Zealand. Yes Wayne Bennett was there helping him out, but you dont win a comp like the WC if you dont have any skills as a coach. John Lang will be overseeing things anyways, so there is a support structure there.

Not sure about this. Bert and Ernie could have been coaching the NZ and Australian teams. They were always going to be the finalists. Apart from that it's one win. In my opinion that's probably an easier assignment than coaching an NRL team over an entire season.

Pistol

Coach
Not sure about this. Bert and Ernie could have been coaching the NZ and Australian teams. They were always going to be the finalists. Apart from that it's one win. In my opinion that's probably an easier assignment than coaching an NRL team over an entire season.

I respect your opinion.

The one advantage Souths would have is that you have the support structure there in John Lang to help the rookie coach. Some clubs dont have that. If Kearney gets the gig, he's got a lot of help behind him.

hunters

Juniors
I respect your opinion.

The one advantage Souths would have is that you have the support structure there in John Lang to help the rookie coach. Some clubs dont have that. If Kearney gets the gig, he's got a lot of help behind him.

Yep, agree with that. In fact, John Lang might be more comfortable these days with a kind of mentoring role rather than being up front.

glory glory

Juniors

Rookie coaches with no idea like the 2009 Dally M Coach of the year?

Dogmatix

Juniors
Well there is an exception to every rule

But looking at the other end of the table you had rookie coach Fittler collecting the wooden spoon

Souths have been appointing rookie and unproven coaches since Piggins in 1986. Piggins probably did the best of them between 1986 and 1989 before collecting the spoon in 1990. But on the whole Souths run of rookie coaches over the last 23 years has not helped

It is time for Souths to select a coach with some runs on the board in the NRL competition. Steve Folkes is the best guy out there for Souths right now

Noa

First Grade
I doubt Kearney would take it, I reckon he's holding out for the Warriors job. Mag on the other hand.........dont be suprised if he's the man.

Dave Q

Coach
Michael Hagan anyone?

Billy Anderson?

John Hopoate?

David Hosking?

Stan Jurd?

Johnny Kolc?

Bobby Jay?

Dave Q

Coach
Billy Anderson? talk about old school lol

John Hopoate? too busy fighting (ignoring any ring jokes)

Billy was a great coach.

Now I'll just turn up the wireless, Malcolm is giving a speech!

Yes, those pesky russians, who do they they are invading afganistan?

How many shillings in a one dollar note?!

Last edited:
Kearney or Graeme Murray.....both touted and likely front-runners with talk Murray has already been approached. Either would do a great job.

rabs

Staff member
I agree with the no more rookie coaches sentiment, we need someone with experience, everything else is in place. Can't see Murray as the right man but Sheens or anyone of his ilk (Lang?) if available could deliver us to the top 4 easily in 2010