What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney

POPEYE

Coach
Most of us who never said the bloke was a supercoach but wanted him to have a fair go are gloating. He couldn't be driven from the NZ job as he was from the NRL, although you can see him during Bronco games, I'm not sure how they're going this year but he doesn't seem detrimental . . . pity Loudy is absent from discussion

In case anyone hasn't 'bothered' to listen to the NZ post match press conference, do yourself a favour

Parra

Referee
Second best coach for exhibition matches I've seen. Still got a way to go to catch Meninga.

WTF does Sheens do?

whall15

Coach
Most of us who never said the bloke was a supercoach but wanted him to have a fair go are gloating. He couldn't be driven from the NZ job as he was from the NRL, although you can see him during Bronco games, I'm not sure how they're going this year but he doesn't seem detrimental . . . pity Loudy is absent from discussion

In case anyone hasn't 'bothered' to listen to the NZ post match press conference, do yourself a favour

A fair go?

He coached for almost two whole seasons at Parramatta where he had one of the worst records in NRL history. It's not as if he wasn't given a chance.

proto

Juniors
i think we all know its a fair bit different being a national team coach then a regular nrl coach. he does extremely well in bringing a squad together and making them lift.

the people saying marshall should have been involved somehow are hilarious, he has his gun halves duo he likes and have performed and he has his mate leuluai who can step in and gives it his all.

Vic Mackey

Referee
You do realise the rep teams only had 2 training sessions this week? At this level apart from selections I don't think coaches have a huge impact.

Danish

Referee
My impression of Steve Kearney as a coach:

tom-landrys-hat.jpg

POPEYE

Coach
You do realise the rep teams only had 2 training sessions this week? At this level apart from selections I don't think coaches have a huge impact.

Thank an imaginary friend for that, it means we don't have to dump Sheens at all.

and, 200+ looks and not much dissention

Last edited:

Cloudsurfer

Juniors

That applies to both teams, so what was the difference?

I'm a Kearney fan. What he has done is quietly go about instilling belief in a squad for which he set a bar of character and commitment to be in it in the first place & ownership once they were - from the last RL World Cup, the 2014 ANZAC test, the 4 Nations, to this ANZAC test.

No prima-donnas who think they're bigger than the game & hello?
That & the various talents to suit the gameplan Kearney wanted to play was the criteria for the selectors and they did a great job imo.

Cut to Parra & what did Kearney get there -the guy didn't stand a chance. A couple (at least) of primadonnas who thought they were bigger than the game, had the ear of a few & the fans in their pocket. Lol at the Parra fans who said Kearney should be coaching them the way they always played...

Aussie didn't take the ANZAC test seriously & it showed...

On the one hand they want to grow the game across the world, on the other only grow it so Origin remains the ultimate...guess what? The rest of the world doesn't care about Origin. Imo Origin would be better being a traditional/ heritage/ exhibition game at the end of the season when Oz can't be bothered looking outside to see opportunities to make RL a world game...

Back to Kearney, nice bloke, humble, wins guys over by bringing out what's already there - who ever said coaches have to be out there barking & throwing their hands in the air to make something happen?

Maybe Kearney isn't an NRL level coach, who knows yet? I'm just happy to have him at the helm of the Kiwis atm. Great team, great win, great coach (and not necessarily in that order :p). Also great competition for the Oz national team to rise against - if they care to that is

POPEYE

Coach
If what Jabba imagined was going to happen every wanker and his flat faced dog would have ridiculed Kearney as a flash in the pan, a pretender, they would have denounced him as the coach who couldn't win with the best international forward pack

Hard to imagine in his time being tutored by Bellamy that he did not have some input as well in the careers of Melbourne's greats. Hard to say he doesn't get the best out of Johnson, something no other coach can. F**kwit logic has Kearney not spending enough time with the Kiwis to make a difference, how many years is it now that NZ players have known it's his way or the highway

I dare say he could sustain the cult in Melbourne, perfect the poaching in Canterbury, drive the swamp buggy in Brookvale, tap the unlimited resources of Brisbane or do as well as any coach with cattle willing to follow a bell. Given a respectable chance he might even have emulated Mary with players willing to listen

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

This.

However, Kearney does seem to serve as a decent man manager and motivator.

So did Bluey McClennan, and his less than a year at the Warriors served to prove the week-in, week-out stuff is a hell of a lot different.

POPEYE

Coach
This.

So did Bluey McClennan, and his less than a year at the Warriors served to prove the week-in, week-out stuff is a hell of a lot different.

Bullshit as usual

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
This.

Big difference between the two is Kearney has a sound grounding in NRL systems from working under Bellamy, McLennan came straight from Auckland club league to the Kiwis then got handed a star-studded ESL side that basically coached itself.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Big difference between the two is Kearney has a sound grounding in NRL systems from working under Bellamy, McLennan came straight from Auckland club league to the Kiwis then got handed a star-studded ESL side that basically coached itself.

True.

I hope he has an NRL head coaching gig in his future - I wouldn't like it to be us, however.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
True.

I hope he has an NRL head coaching gig in his future - I wouldn't like it to be us, however.

If he's good enough to be a successful NRL coach, I dont see why we wouldn't consider him, especially considering his history with kiwi players and status as an ex-Warrior.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Well that's the thing, we don't know if he is good enough to be a successful NRL coach.

We've had 5 coaches in 4 years, the thought of the next one being unproven too scares the shit out of me.

Latest posts