What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keep Carney despite his mistakes

raidersforme

Juniors
Keep Carney, despite his mistakes

EXCLUSIVE by Andrew Dunemann
Canberra Raiders player
May 21, 2007
PLEASE don't sack him. That would be the first thing the Canberra players would say to the club heirachy if asked about Todd Carney.
As part of the senior leadership group at the Raiders, that is definitely what I will be expressing today when our group meets to discuss the situation.
Todd is a great kid who would bend over backwards to do anything for you.
There, I guess, lies some of the problem. Sometimes he commits to do things without thinking about the consequences, but haven't we all.
Todd relies on his instincts off the field as much as he does on it. The problem is doing what he does on the field comes naturally whereas off it, it's perhaps not the case.
He hasn't had a chance really to learn about life skills having gone straight from school into the NRL spotlight, and within a few years to being the main man for the Raiders.
What he has done is silly, and there are no excuses for it, but I also think people who associate with him have a responsibility as well, like not giving him their keys knowing that it could lead to dire consequences.
I know there will be plenty of people out there who are quick to jump on his back. These same people are normally the ones who grow old and forget what it is like to be 20.
If they take a moment to reflect back on the mistakes they made at the same age then they might just realise that for most people these things are a part of growing up.
I think sometimes we can be hypocrites in cases like this. We've all made mistakes, it's just many of them were out of the public eye.
The Raiders as a club have done a great job bringing Todd through this far, and that would all seem a waste if he was let go. Every other club in the competition would want his signature.
He would be picked up tomorrow, and be back to haunt the Raiders in someone else's colours.
I understand there comes a time when enough is enough. All I hope for is that time hasn't come yet for Todd Carney.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21767121-23214,00.html

raidersforme

Juniors
Carney's mum pleads his case

By James Phelps
May 21, 2007
TODD Carney's mother has made an emotional plea for Canberra to spare her son from the axe, revealing the troubled star has been struggling with personal issues relating to his father.
Carney is facing the sack from the Raiders after being charged with failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving and driving while disqualified after allegedly leading police on a high-speed pursuit on Friday.
But Leanne Carney last night indicated she would this week talk to Canberra management to plead for leniency for her son.
Mrs Carney said her gifted but wayward son had simply made a terrible mistake, and that he had recently been knocked around badly by sensitive family issues.
"There are some things that have happened with his father recently and he has been really troubled by it," Mrs Carney said.
"He (Carney's father) has been his coach, hero and mentor and he has taken it very badly.
"It hasn't really come to the surface yet but I will be bringing it up at the club during the week.
"He has really been struggling with what has happened."
It has been claimed Raiders teammate Steve Irwin gave Carney a lift to a tradesman's house on Friday afternoon to pay a bill for tiling work done on Carney's new home.
While at the house, it is understood Irwin consumed a few beers and feared he was over the limit.
Mrs Carney last night said her son was "trying to do his mate a favour" by then offering to drive about five kilometres to take Irwin home in his ute.

Mrs Carney said her son, already suspended from driving for five years, panicked and continued to drive about 1km when police attempted to pull him over.
"He did the wrong thing and I can't make excuses for it but you have to remember he is just a kid.
"He panicked and did the wrong thing but he turned himself in."
Mrs Carney said Todd was a passionate Raiders supporter as a child and couldn't imagine him playing for any other club.
"It would be a great shame," Mrs Carney said.
"He has dreamed about playing for the Raiders since he was three years old.
"He has made a mistake but he will learn from it. I am hoping we can work something out and get the help we need."
Carney and Irwin have been suspended indefinitely by the club and will meet with officials on Thursday when coach Neil Henry returns from coaching duties with the Queensland Origin team.
It is understood Carney was on his last chance with the club after a string of off-field incidents but the Raiders have shown patience before, hoping to build a club around him. Carney had faced court in January charged with reckless driving while drunk.
He was caught in December 16 last year in Goulburn while doing burnouts.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21765309-23214,00.html

Great articles, it highlights that he is having personal problems, give it a rest naysayers and let the courts deal with it.

raidersforme

Juniors
Raiders delay decision on Carney until court hearing
Sam Worthington
space.gif

Canberra Raider Todd Carney's NRL career remains in limbo after the club said yesterday it would delay a decision on his future at the club until after a court hearing. The Raiders have indefinitely suspended Carney, 20, and teammate Steve Irwin, 23, after the pair were involved in a police pursuit in Bruce on Friday night.
Carney's driving licence is disqualified and he was allegedly doing burnouts in Irwin's vehicle before fleeing from police.
Carney, the Raiders halfback, eventually turned himself in to ACT Police and has been reported on three driving offences: failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving and driving while disqualified.
A court date has not yet been set but an ACT Policing spokesman said Carney, who has two previous drinking-driving charges, would definitely appear in the next three weeks. Carney sent a text message to The Canberra Times yesterday which said he needed to talk with Raiders management before speaking publicly about the issue.
Raiders chairman John McIntyre said yesterday the club was investigating the events of Friday night but would delay implementing any further action against Carney until the outcome of the court case.
"It may well be that the ultimate decision is made by the NRL," he said.
"It could be as serious as that."
But NRL chief executive David Gallop steered clear of the issue yesterday, saying the matter would first be dealt with by the courts and Raiders management.
"At this stage our normal process is to wait for the police and the club and I expect to have further conversations with the club this week," he said.
Mr Gallop denied the NRL was conducting a separate investigation into the incident.
Goulburn product Carney has been widely touted as a future representative player and was a Raiders hero last season, kicking match-winning golden-point field goals against the North Queensland Cowboys and the Wests Tigers.
Mr McIntyre said the latest charges against Carney had sent shockwaves through the club.
"It's devastating, there's just so much talent there and the allegations and this latest charge, I just can't believe it," he said.
The Raiders provided Carney with alcohol counselling after previous incidents.
Carney fronted the Raiders board after the second of his drinking-driving convictions in December last year and vowed to represent the club with distinction. Mr McIntyre said the club had hoped Carney, who signed a four-year contract with the Raiders in 2003, was sincere.
"We all hoped that, we knew that he required plenty of support, plenty of counselling and those were arranged after the board meeting," he said. "The management team, in my view, have done a pretty good job in trying to help him keep control of himself.
"The most disappointing thing is the amount of support given by people involved with sponsorship of the club, that have helped him in re-establishing himself."
Raiders coach Neil Henry is in Queensland's State of Origin camp until Thursday and Mr McIntyre is in Perth. Carney will miss the Raiders' Friday night home match against the St George Illawarra Dragons.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...lass=general&story_id=586753&category=General

jed

First Grade
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
as for the burnout? did he lose control??

Im all up for giving someone a chance but come on...
Most articles have referred to the incident as "losing traction" - that doesn't necessarily mean he was doing burnouts. It could be that someone at the CT inferred that it meant he was doing burnouts, as he'd done in the past.

Let's wait to hear from someone who was actually there (ie wait for the police to give evidence in court) before we condemn him, it could very well be the situation that he was driving a drunk mate home - while it would be a stupid move on Todd's part, he probably looked at it at the time as being a calculated risk.

raidersforme

Juniors
22 May 2007 http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/display.asp?class=news

Mother's plea for Raiders star
Sam Worthington
space.gif

Distraught Canberra Raiders' star Todd Carney has returned home to Goulburn fearful of a possible jail sentence and his $200,000-a-year contract being ripped up. Carney, 20, broke his silence yesterday on Friday night's police pursuit through Bruce, which involved teammate Steve Irwin, 23.
"It's been disappointing," Carney told The Canberra Times.
"I don't want to make any comment now until we sort things out with the club and that's when I'll come out and talk."
Carney met yesterday with Raiders football manager David Sharpe to discuss the club's position.
"I had a meeting, just between me and Sharpie but the board is meeting Friday to discuss the matter and I guess they'll get back to me and my manager Friday afternoon or whenever they've resolved what's going on," Carney said. "I just want to let it all be settled."
Carney's cousin drove him back to his family home in Goulburn yesterday, where he will remain until asked to meet with Raiders management.
Carney, whose licence is disqualified for a previous drinking-driving conviction, was allegedly doing burnouts in Irwin's vehicle when confronted by police.
Carney is alleged to have then fled, firstly in Irwin's vehicle, then on foot before being driven by a friend to Goulburn on Friday night.
Carney is facing charges by ACT police of failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving and driving while disqualified.
A court date has not yet been set.
Carney and Irwin, who was not charged by police, have been suspended indefinitely by the Raiders.
Carney's mother, Leanne, told The Canberra Times yesterday she would try to arrange counselling for her son, who was dealing with issues relating to the health of his father, Daryl.
Mrs Carney said her son was driving Irwin home on Friday night because Irwin had been drinking.
She said her son was "thinking he was helping someone else".
Mrs Carney said her son's mental state was "not good at all" and that he feared his contract would be terminated.
"He's not coping very well," she said.
She was shocked when her scared son arrived at her Goulburn home on Friday night and drove him back to Canberra to turn himself in at the City Police Station at 9.45pm.
"There's nothing like your mother trying to help you," she said.
"I'm sad for him because I don't know where his head's at and I've got to help him in that situation."
Mrs Carney said he had been struggling to deal emotionally with a "very serious" illness her husband Daryl was suffering.
Mrs Carney said her son had hidden his father's condition from the Raiders and that she would discuss the issue with club management this week.
She said her husband's medical condition may have played a part in Todd's decision to drive without a licence.
"I think Todd probably needs a bit of counselling that no one's been aware of," she said.
"He keeps things very inside himself," Mrs Carney said. "He needs a counsellor, to talk to someone himself, which we're going to try and sort out while he's home."
Mrs Carney said her extended family had tried to drill into Todd the need to stay on track and fulfil his footballing talent.
"They're very adamant about that to Todd, because they know how much they regret, they lost everything that they'd hoped for. "Todd's had dreams with the Raiders since he was three."
The Raiders confirmed yesterday that a board meeting on Friday would determine the club's course of action regarding Carney.
"There's a lot to consider, irrespective of the court case so we've obviously begun that now but we'll begin doing that in a more formal sense with the board on Friday," Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins said.
"I would be surprised if there was a conclusion at the board meeting on Friday morning."

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...lass=general&story_id=587147&category=General

There is a lot more going on with this kid than meets the eye, He really needed to speak up and use the support network in place.It's a real shame

Chachi

Bench
Carney's let us down: Tongue Minority giving league bad rap
Sam Worthington

Disappointed Canberra Raiders captain Alan Tongue says the negative publicity surrounding halfback Todd Carney's latest driving charges is hurting the club's image.
Tongue, 26, said Carney's actions would set back the positive off-field work the club's senior leadership group had undertaken this season.

Tongue said he had left a message with Carney after the incident but still hadn't formed a definite opinion on the matter.

"I still don't know the full story so we've got to work it out and obviously Toddy's got to get back on track as a person before a footballer," Tongue said. "So there's a lot of things to be covered."

Tongue said the actions of a minority shaped many people's negative perception of rugby league.

"I think that's often the case in football, people take an opinion of the whole group, or the whole image of footballers, and it's only tarnished by a couple of people," he said.

"We've sort of taken a bit of a backward step I suppose but this happens and it happens in a lot of workplaces.

"So we've just got to deal with it and keep doing the positive stuff that we're doing around the community."

Tongue said Carney's lack of judgement off the field was in contrast to his astuteness on it.

"I suppose everyone knows what he can do on a footy field, there's no doubts about his potential there, but it's getting overtaken, overshadowed by these incidents," he said.

"To his credit he has been working hard and doing some really great things but it can all come undone in a split second and that's obviously what's taken place so that is disappointing."

Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins tried to distance Carney's actions from the club.

"It's probably done more harm to Todd's image than the club's I'd suggest," Hawkins said.

"The club wasn't there with him on Friday night so his actions don't really directly relate to the club."

Raiders board members will meet on Friday to discuss possible further action against Carney and Irwin.

The club has suspended the pair indefinitely.

Meanwhile Carney's housemate Michael Dobson admitted to feeling uneasy about filling the halfback breach his friend has left.

Dobson is today expected to be named as Carney's replacement as Raiders halfback in the team to play St George Illawarra at Canberra Stadium on Friday night.

"If I do get picked it's not how I wanted to get back in there," Dobson said. "He's one of my close mates so yeah, it'd be nice to get back in but it's not the way I wanted it to happen."

Raiders player Andrew Dunemann used his Foxsports website column to plead with officials to keep Carney at the club.

"Please don't sack him," Dunemann wrote. "That would be the first thing the Canberra players would say to the club hierarchy if asked about Todd Carney."

Dunemann said teammate Steve Irwin should share the blame with Carney because he allowed him to drive his car.

"What [Carney] has done is silly and there are no excuses for it, but I also think people who associate with him have a responsibility as well, like not giving him their keys knowing that it could lead to dire consequences," he said.

Raiders assistant coach David Furner has assumed coaching duties with Mick Crawley while head coach Neil Henry is in Queensland's State of Origin camp.

Furner said apart from the recalled Dobson and Ben Jones's return from concussion, the Raiders would stay loyal to the side that defeated South Sydney on May 12.

"Obviously the side that beat Souths, it'll be fairly close to that," Furner said. "We'll make the decision closer to the game."

FRIDAY

Canberra Raiders v St George Illawarra Dragons, at Canberra Stadium, 7.30pm. Tickets through Ticketek. TV time: Delayed on WIN at 9.30pm
http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... league&story_id=587151&category=rugby league

Can I just quietly say thank God we've got a guy like Alan Tongue as captain this year. Many other captains would either say nothing or come up with some innane crap about how great Todd Carney is and we need him for the future. Instead Tongey has come out and told Todd to pull his head in, but the team is still there to support him through this drama.

Once again, top shelf stuff from the captain. :clap:

donkey|rope

Juniors
The guys on here who are calling for Carney's contract to be ripped up are being so melodramatic. What he did was wrong and stupid, plain and simple. However, there is no way in the world the club and the fans should say you have issues, bugger off. Why? Because some other club is going to pick him up and he’ll be taught to think ‘hey, the consequences for my actions are non-existent…..now where’s that VB tinny and steering wheel. Case in point: Chris Walker. The Raiders franchise has a paternalistic duty of care to look after Todd Carney, a player who they’ve groomed, pampered and adorned with praise and financial accolades beyond his years. Off-loading him and his problems to another club is like giving a criminal the death penalty; sure the bloke is dead but the question remains would he not be punished to a greater degree if forced live every waking moment of his wretched life suffering for his sins? Raiders should suspend Carney from playing any form of Rugby League for the rest of the season and force him participate intensive behavioural counselling, partake in some form of tertiary or vocational education and serve 20 hours of community service per week until the beginning of next years NRL competition.

badav

Bench
donkey|rope said:
The guys on here who are calling for Carney's contract to be ripped up are being so melodramatic. What he did was wrong and stupid, plain and simple. However, there is no way in the world the club and the fans should say you have issues, bugger off. Why? Because some other club is going to pick him up and he’ll be taught to think ‘hey, the consequences for my actions are non-existent…..now where’s that VB tinny and steering wheel.

I dont understand how you can say that, when Neville Costigan and Dane Tilse have both got there careers back on track at the raiders after being sacked by other clubs.

Read the article above about Neville Costigan. He was going downhill until he got sacked and decided to shape up and get back on track. And might i add that the broncos lost all the development that they had put into him to the raiders.

Therefore i dont think it is unfair should Todd Carney be sacked. And by likening it to the death penalty, you are being much more melodramatic than anyone.

If Naiqama's actions are anything to go by, Carney is along way from being sacked, but it also depends on the comparison of the clubs conduct policy.

parra pete

Referee
GOOD NEWS BAD NEWS ON TODD CARNEY.
My information is Todd Carney will not be flicked by the Club. That's the good news..
The bad news is he is being pursued by Sharks coach Ricky Stuart, and will end up there in 2009 when his contract expires next year.
That is apparently the reason the Sharks decided to cut Noddy loose.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Todd to the sharks? Obviously im not one to really buy into parra petes scoops, but that is far fetched imo

If we dont flick him, which looks the likely outcome, he'd have to be a royal merkin to ditch us after standing by him for so long, in 2009. I think if he isnt sacked, he'll be re-signed long term by the middle of next year

legend

Coach
Pete, you've had the good oil on scopps in the past but I can't see this happening if the club decide to keep him and he has bought a house in Canberra. If the club were smart they'd try and resign him for a discount with his stock is worth less.

No surprise to see Stuart try to raid his old haunts as he did with Finch and Monaghan. He knows where the quality comes from.

Chachi

Bench
If things pan out that way I would suggest that Todd Carney would become one of the most hated players in Raiders history. Forget Finch, Schifcofske and Monaghan...that would have to be the most gutless move ever.

There's certainly plenty of water to flow under the bridge between now and then. I guess I'll take more interest in the Kimmorley situation from now on. There is also a huge difference between a club showing significant interest in a player and that player signing a contract.

I also know that Carney was considering a contract extension with Canberra before this situation flared up, but there is no doubt those negotiations would be on hold right now. I'm also sure that the club would be aware of Cronulla's interest and would take that into account when dealing with Carney. It would certainly be an interesting move by our management if they were to show support for Todd knowing that he was likely to throw it back in their face.

In saying that, if the club stands by him and he ends up doing the dirty on us then good riddance to him (or any other player that does that sort of thing). As I've said over and over again, our club is bigger than this kid and life will go on. I'd like to believe it won't happen - but maybe I'm just naive.

parra pete

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Todd to the sharks? Obviously im not one to really buy into parra petes scoops, but that is far fetched imo

If we dont flick him, which looks the likely outcome, he'd have to be a royal merkin to ditch us after standing by him for so long, in 2009. I think if he isnt sacked, he'll be re-signed long term by the middle of next year

Please yourself whether you believe it or not. I DON'T make them up...It is what I have been told.
I agree that Todd would be as weak as water to move on..But there is no loyalty these days. The Raiders WON'T sack him...but the move to the Sharks, from what I have been told is definitely ON.
It is not a scoop..and I am not claiming it as one..just telling you what I have heard from sources close to the Club...

BTW, why do you consider it far fetched????
I think you are too cynical...

Chachi

Bench
parra pete said:
It is not a scoop..and I am not claiming it as one..just telling you what I have heard from sources close to the Club...
That's the bit that gets me. Why would any organisation do the kid a favour knowing this sort of thing? Especially when we're also negotiating with the likes of Dobson and Hinchcliffe for contracts beyond this season. Are we really that dumb?

That would be very disappointing but I cant see it happening either , that is if we keep Carney after this episode , I think you'll see Carney show some loyalty after we decide not to sack him , it wont be the 1st time a junior Raider has stuck around when he could get more elsewhere.

Raider_69

Post Whore
parra pete said:
Please yourself whether you believe it or not. I DON'T make them up...It is what I have been told.
I agree that Todd would be as weak as water to move on..But there is no loyalty these days. The Raiders WON'T sack him...but the move to the Sharks, from what I have been told is definitely ON.

BTW, why do you consider it far fetched????
I think you are too cynical...

I think its far fetched because recent events have revealed alot about todd

1. he has been a fan of this club since a young age, his mother revealed he has always wanted to play for the raiders.
2. he has brought a house here and all his mates and family are close by, well closer then cronulla away anyways
3. he has expressed a desire to stick with his mates dobbo and zilly as raiders players
4. He will be our marque player and getting paid very well in canberra, an offer mid next year i think will see a 400k ish a season deal, and with good reason, i cant see the sharks being able to beat that offer by enough to lure him
5. after the club sticks by him through all this sh*t, i think he will feel obliged and rightly so to do the right thing by the club and stick with us, as long as the offer is reasonable
6. Noddy has said he will accept a pay cut to stay with the sharks, and from what im seeing all things point to a fair chance that noddy is re-signed at reduced price. Thats very 50/50 though
7. This far out? anything can happen, he wont be signing a contract for a while i imagine, so even if he is keen on the sharks, who knows what the next 6-12 months could hold

8. I know none of these points are concreate stuff, but it leads me to have the opinion that the idea of him leaving us is pretty far fetched. Dobson is another matter, i could DEFINITELY see him in a sharks jersey.

But if you are infact right, and even i admit, you have got a few in your time, then he will have committed an act against this club far worse then any before him imo. Finch will look like our Lady, Mary in comparison

Edwahu

Bench
There is plenty of time for things to change even if has been talking to the sharks.
He will be very hard to keep though, like any player that is wanted by every club.