What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kennar

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Horrible news if true that Ritchie could be out for the season. Was coming along in leaps and bounds and did a lot of hard work on kick returns.

So who would you replace him with?
Burns
Graham
Hunt
Hiroti

Or even Hunt to centres and push Gagai out to the wing?

Tough call. I’d like Burns there. Hunt can still have impact as a bench player. Hunt has good defence but Burns has plenty of speed and solid defence too.

Time will tell.

Hunt to centre, Gagai to wing.

Gagai's defense is terrible at centre and Hunt will strengthen up that edge tremendously. After last night, we need it.

I would even go so far as to say that when Sam returns, he moves to that edge as well and Angus should come off the bench.

Travitoh

First Grade

Gagai's defense is terrible at centre and Hunt will strengthen up that edge tremendously. After last night, we need it.

I would even go so far as to say that when Sam returns, he moves to that edge as well and Angus should come off the bench.

Agree with Gagai to the wing. I feel the second half last night went to show just how important Sam is defensively in the middle though.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Absolutely. I do think Seibs will put Sam at prop though and move George to the bench.

It may be that just adding Hunt back to that edge will strengthen it up enough but personally I think we need a little more.

Crichton is an ok defender but had a lot of traffic head his way last night. Crichton, Reynolds, Gagai and Kennar as a defensive combination have been terrible. Angus is making so many tackles that he is a spent force when it comes to attack.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
It may be that just adding Hunt back to that edge will strengthen it up enough but personally I think we need a little more.

Crichton is an ok defender but had a lot of traffic head his way last night. Crichton, Reynolds, Gagai and Kennar as a defensive combination have been terrible. Angus is making so many tackles that he is a spent force when it comes to attack.
Reynolds defence last night was better than Gagai. Hunt to centre with Gagai to the wing isn’t too bad an option
Freeing up Chricton would be a smart move

I know a lot of people will blow up about how much we are paying Gagai to play on a wing if he is moved there but I really think its either that or Norths for him at the moment. He is a massive defensive liability at centre and we can't really shift him to fullback so no other options.

Pommy

Coach
I know a lot of people will blow up about how much we are paying Gagai to play on a wing if he is moved there but I really think its either that or Norths for him at the moment. He is a massive defensive liability at centre and we can't really shift him to fullback so no other options.

You’re probably right, I was glad to hear we had signed Gagai but it seems like a real mistake now in retrospect. He’s a great winger but we can’t have that much money tied up in that position.

Travitoh

First Grade

Agreed. Regardless of what he is earning, he should be playing in the position that will best suit the team.

Pommy

Coach
Agreed. Regardless of what he is earning, he should be playing in the position that will best suit the team.

But suiting the team isn’t having a 650-800k a year winger, you’re kidding yourself if you think it is.

Travitoh

First Grade
But suiting the team isn’t having a 650-800k a year winger, you’re kidding yourself if you think it is.

Neither is having a 650-800k out of position centre. Wing is his best position that we have available.
I don't argue that he is on more than a winger should be but at the end of the day, it's money not well spent either way and our best chance of getting value for our spendings is to play to his strengths, which i believe is returning kicks and scoring tries. He is currently doing neither at centre.

Pommy

Coach
Neither is having a 650-800k out of position centre. Wing is his best position that we have available.
I don't argue that he is on more than a winger should be but at the end of the day, it's money not well spent either way and our best chance of getting value for our spendings is to play to his strengths, which i believe is returning kicks and scoring tries. He is currently doing neither at centre.

He has been recruited as a centre and needs to adapt, how long we pursue that for is a question up for debate I guess.

hunters

Juniors
While I hate the idea of selecting players positions based on their salaries, the other option is Gagai to fullback, Johnston to Wing and Hunt centre.

Although I probably just favour Gagai to wing and Hunt centre. The contracts are sorted are sorted beforehand and shouldn't determine the team make up, form and the best impact on results should determine who play where.

I remember the Newcastle supporters sayin they were glad he’s gone cos he can’t defend at center and we played it off as sour grapes but looks like it is true and he have to play him at wing or we conced a couple try’s each game on that edge.

southsport

First Grade
While I hate the idea of selecting players positions based on their salaries, the other option is Gagai to fullback, Johnston to Wing and Hunt centre.

Although I probably just favour Gagai to wing and Hunt centre. The contracts are sorted are sorted beforehand and shouldn't determine the team make up, form and the best impact on results should determine who play where.
I thought I was a lone voice in spruiking Gagai to fullback, I was saying that before Rd #1.

callmack1

Staff member
I'll be really gutted if Kennar is gone for the season as he's been fantastic! I think he's a great player and it'll be a big loss.

I'd be going Hunt to centre, Gagai to the wing. Don't want to put Gags at fullback as our spine is going okay and we don't want to disrupt it.

southsport

First Grade
I remember the Newcastle supporters sayin they were glad he’s gone cos he can’t defend at center and we played it off as sour grapes but looks like it is true and he have to play him at wing or we conced a couple try’s each game on that edge.
That's true, I remember the knights supporters saying that.

Spot On

Coach
You’re probably right, I was glad to hear we had signed Gagai but it seems like a real mistake now in retrospect. He’s a great winger but we can’t have that much money tied up in that position.

Wow, that's a big shift in opinion on such a short space of time. Many of you in here were convinced he was an outstanding centre.

Love to hear Sara's opinion now. She said great players are measured not by tries and try assists alone but on their error count and their DEFENCE.

I don't think Sara watched Dane play any first grade at all in the centres for Newy. Just watched origin where he fell over the line for QLD. Does return the ball well though.

Siebold has done a fantastic job with Souths and rejuvinated many of your flailing forwards. I really like watching them play but he must do something with Gags when they don't have the ball.

I can't see why he can't be made to defend on the wing.

Simple and fixed.

Last edited:

Curns13

Juniors

Gagi should stay at centre in attack and move to the wing in defence. Don’t waste Gagai attacking brilliance on the wing when Hunt doesn’t offer much in attack.

King Bunny

Juniors
I'll be really gutted if Kennar is gone for the season as he's been fantastic! I think he's a great player and it'll be a big loss.

I'd be going Hunt to centre, Gagai to the wing. Don't want to put Gags at fullback as our spine is going okay and we don't want to disrupt it.

Agreed Callmack1 hunt to centre and gagai to the wing lets hope kennar returns fit ASAP.

Latest posts