What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kids Coming Through

Rob Dragon

Juniors
So out of necessity the young kids have been given a chance later in the season and we might be looking at a few of these guys having 150-200 game careers ahead of them.

1. Blake Lawrie

I wasn't sure what to think of him; but he went bloody hard yesterday. In the 78th minute when Lodge tried to "dislodge" his head he asked for the next carry. He went well.

2. Zac Lomax

He is only 18. He can tackle. He can kick goals. He makes good decisions. He's got a good right foot step I would make Mark Gasnier adopt him for the next 2 years and show him how it is done.

3. Luciano Leliua

We knew he had something a bit different and a bit special, but could he get fit enough to make the transition to first grade? He might be getting there and he has tremendous mentors in the pack to guide him. A ball playing backrower who is also 120kgs. Awesome!

4. Matt Dufty

It is a long 1st season for any new NRL player. He is young, plays a pivotal position and after an ordinary few weeks he was terrific yesterday. As the great Bob Fulton used to say "you can't coach speed".

5. Notable Mentions

I know that Jordan Pariera will never play rep football, but he tries bloody hard. Takes tough runs out of our quarter and gives the team a bit.

Kurt Mann always gives his best and he is shunted from position to position, and Cameron McInnes is still only 22 years old and he was immense yesterday.

Some shoots of greener times ahead starting to sprout!

TomRedVRiver

Bench
We all know the endless potential of Luciano and Lomax. Particularly Lomax, that kid has the f**king Rugby League world at his feet.

The one that really surprised me on Sunday was Lawrie. f**k me he is not afraid to take a tough hit-up is he? I was (and kinda still am) a big sceptic of his, as I just think he doesn't quite have that strength and leg-drive yet to pick up those important post-contact metres. He seems to get monstered at times and dropped pretty quick. If works on his physique in the off-season and builds more muscle onto his frame, he'll go well.
He reminds me of Nathan Brown from the Eels, very similar playing styles, they both hit the line at a hundred miles an hour, the only difference is Brown has that strength and leg drive that Lawrie is missing.

RufusRex

Post Whore
how many of these bokes would have been given decent time if "The Team Mary Wants" was all available.

All this highlights is how f**king poor Mary is at identifying and developing talent. If Nighty/Aitken were fit then Lomax/Pereira dont see the top grade.

Ditto Lawrie and Vaughan

Mary's plan B is panic picking when injury happens not planning with effective development of gen next.

how many of these bokes would have been given decent time if "The Team Mary Wants" was all available.

All this highlights is how f**king poor Mary is at identifying and developing talent. If Nighty/Aitken were fit then Lomax/Pereira dont see the top grade.

Ditto Lawrie and Vaughan

Mary's plan B is panic picking when injury happens not planning with effective development of gen next.
My thoughts exactly.
The young replacements were fantastic and provided so much energy and enthusiasm that has been lacking for the last 2 and a half months.
Add Sims, Frizell and some determined defence and Brisbane were easily tamed in the end.
I also wonder if we had no injuries, what the side would have looked like.

Last edited:

aquiin

Juniors
With the intent we had, yes. It wasn’t about the players and their talent.

Young players can get exploited, second time up, if the older players don’t lead.

Kicking game needs to improve against the best in the business. Broncos don’t succumb in tackles like Souths do. Completely different game in Sydney too. Skinny 10.

Last edited: