What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killing some more existing myths.

TheRev

First Grade
Why knock that post.There are good points made,and i'm not defending Price,i am defending a good post.
Yikes, I was going to nominate it for most laughable post of 2013, its not even worthy of picking apart :-/

I was trying to avoid giving it a bump.

Father Ted

First Grade
with credit to David Bowie, rename the thread putting out fire with gasoline

This is Peter Doust to Steven Price
You?ve really made first grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it?s time to pick a team if you dare

?This is Steven Price to Benny Creagh
I?m stepping through the door
And I?m floating in a most Cronulla way
And the stars look very different today

For here
am I sitting in Woolaware
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there?s nothing I can do

Though I?ve run one hundred thousand miles
The ladder's very still
And I think reserve grade knows which way to go
Tell Matt Prior I love him very much (he knows!)
Ground Control to chase Stan Lee
Your circuit?s dead, there?s something wrong
Can you hear me, Steven Price?
Can you hear....

? am I floating round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And I drink crownies it's what I do.?

Fingerbang

Bench
I can see your point but I don't accept that we simply need to "grin and bear it" or "turn the other cheek" or however you want to call it. IMO the longer this farce continues the more Dragons fans here and anywhere else should be screaming for not only Price's head but also Doust's or whoever is responsible for not moving on Price until now.
Ok, we have all seen how you don't accept the board's decision, how you won't grin and bear it or turn the other cheek, many many times. What have you done to try to get Steve Price sacked? Do you think ranting and bitching in here all day every day will do it? I don't. If you refuse to grin and bear it or turn the other cheek, why haven't you started some sort of action to get things moving in the direction you want the club to go in? Seems to me you are in fact turning the other cheek, or pulling them apart, so the bearing won't be so painful.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
How is it a good post. Has this guy ever heard of anyone being sacked. It does happen you know? What makes him think that Price is invincible and is guaranteed a place till 2014? Soward was guaranteed a contact till the end of 2013 that didn't happen. $hite happens.

The only thing that probably most Saints fans are hoping for is Price's sacking at the moment. To me I would rather that than picking up any superstar player for next season because even with Inglis, Slater, Cronk and Smith under Price they would struggle. He has no idea and has now clearly proved that theory.

You can't win games if you can't score points and that issue has still not been addressed by SUPER COACH.

karuah6

Juniors
How is it a good post. Has this guy ever heard of anyone being sacked. It does happen you know? What makes him think that Price is invincible and is guaranteed a place till 2014? Soward was guaranteed a contact till the end of 2013 that didn't happen. $hite happens.

The only thing that probably most Saints fans are hoping for is Price's sacking at the moment. To me I would rather that than picking up any superstar player for next season because even with Inglis, Slater, Cronk and Smith under Price they would struggle. He has no idea and has now clearly proved that theory.

You can't win games if you can't score points and that issue has still not been addressed by SUPER COACH.

Your getting as silly as Fiery. I am sure all Saints supporters would love to have them in our team & you can bet for sure we would not struggle.

Saint Anger

Juniors
It was clearly written by someone who left their logic at the door and allowed their love for the Super Coach to blind them from the facts.

Mr Red

First Grade
Ok, we have all seen how you don't accept the board's decision, how you won't grin and bear it or turn the other cheek, many many times. What have you done to try to get Steve Price sacked? Do you think ranting and bitching in here all day every day will do it? I don't. If you refuse to grin and bear it or turn the other cheek, why haven't you started some sort of action to get things moving in the direction you want the club to go in? Seems to me you are in fact turning the other cheek, or pulling them apart, so the bearing won't be so painful.

good point.
i have been trying to think for a while now what the best course of action would be, because as you have stated talking about it daily in this forum wont change a single thing. And as a supporter of the club going through the last 2 seasons of pain its time we tried to make our thoughts clear to the club... so what is the best option to get the message across, and most importantly VISIBLE.

- banners?
- letters?
- booing the team?
- booing Price and co at the match?

personally i could never boo the team, and letters simply get filed in the trash can... how about Banners? in terms of visibility this would be most effective, especially in a televised match...

thoughts?

Fingerbang

Bench
One more myth I would like cleared up.....for the record, I have repeatedly argued with some in here against the sacking of Steve Price. I have been labelled a Price lover etc, which I can deal with. I would like to clarify my stance.....I am not against Price being sacked before his contract is up, if a suitable competent coach is chosen to replace him. I am totally against cutting him now due to performance issues, just so a complete useless cancer of a caretaker coach, or another inexperienced novice can come in and ruin his reputation as well. The team and the club will gain nothing by taking such action.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
good point.
i have been trying to think for a while now what the best course of action would be, because as you have stated talking about it daily in this forum wont change a single thing. And as a supporter of the club going through the last 2 seasons of pain its time we tried to make our thoughts clear to the club... so what is the best option to get the message across, and most importantly VISIBLE.

- banners?
- letters?
- booing the team?
- booing Price and co at the match?

personally i could never boo the team, and letters simply get filed in the trash can... how about Banners? in terms of visibility this would be most effective, especially in a televised match...

thoughts?

Easiest thing to do is to stop going to the games or club. Club stops making money and is forced to make changes. Pretty simple really. Alternatively you can go to the St George forum being held in 2 weeks time and voice your concerns there

Last edited:

Fiery

Juniors

Thanks for this. This post makes up for the utter idiocy of the first post of this thread. If Price is still coach next year, remember you heard it from me first, everyone will be complaining about how Widdop and Thompson are overrated, overpaid, not putting in and etc. Dugan is so good that he can push past the handicap.... at least for a while.

This is Peter Doust to Steven Price
You?ve really made first grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it?s time to pick a team if you dare

?This is Steven Price to Benny Creagh
I?m stepping through the door
And I?m floating in a most Cronulla way
And the stars look very different today

For here
am I sitting in Woolaware
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there?s nothing I can do

Though I?ve run one hundred thousand miles
The ladder's very still
And I think reserve grade knows which way to go
Tell Matt Prior I love him very much (he knows!)
Ground Control to chase Stan Lee
Your circuit?s dead, there?s something wrong
Can you hear....

? am I floating round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And I drink crownies it's what I do.?

...another crappy day made funny : )

I would like to kill a few other myths that currently exist.

1. Steve Price is signed as our coach until the end of 2014!

That's right people. That means Laurie Daley, Tim Sheens, Tony Smith, Daniel Anderson, or (insert name) will not be taking over next year. Price was re-signed several months ago. We are the St George Illawarra Dragons, not the Australian Labor Party. Get used to it and we should be backing the coach to the bitter end!

2. Josh Dugan is our Full Back!

Now and into the foreseeable future. Even when Gerard Beale returns from injury. He will not (nor should not) be a stop-gap measure in the halves.

3. Chase Stanley and Nathan Fien are our halves combination!
Likely for the rest of this season at least. These guys had a good game together vs. Knights. They need a few more games together. Siejka may be an option at pivot later should this fall over or in the event of injuries.

Quinlan and Drinkwater are not ready for first grade footy in the halves. I believe the Cutters current performances speak volumes here. With Widdop coming and potentially one of either Rangi Chase or Sam Williams, the best these two guys can do is focus on improving themselves this year so they can battle it out in the pre-season for a spot in the top 25 next year.

I know a lot of us are desperately seeking changes in the halves as the way of getting us back up the table in the remaining games this season, but these guys need to earn their spot. They aren't yet doing enough. Price is making the right calls here.

4. The players need to take some accountability for the current performances!

The coach is not solely to blame here. There have been some consistent performers in the team, which I will now list in three groups:

STARS:

Merrin
Dugan
Morris
Nightingale

POTENTIAL STARS:

Frizell
de Belin
King

SPECIAL MENTIONS:

Fien - tries his guts out every week but is certainly on tired legs. Should definitely be given a amicable send off at the end of the year.

Stockwell - for a young bloke he has certainly pulled his weight up front in light of Weyman injuries and Hunt inconsistencies. Look for this guy to develop into a great forward in the coming years.

Ah Mau - has done very well in the games he's played & was particularly impressive against the Cowboys in a losing side.

The rest really need to step up. Probably being too harsh in some quarters i.e. Creagh, for example, is playing well but seems to not be dealing too well with the added responsibilities of the captaincy. However, he will learn and grow further from this years experience.

While I'm trying to desperately move away from the coach bashing, yes, we do have some dead wood in the side (most of which has been detailed in plenty of other threads). The real tester for Price going into 2014 will be the tough decisions he will no doubt need to make in terms of cutting the dead wood. Failing here will no doubt be the difference as to whether he survives beyond next year or not.

Great Post.

Thanks for clarifying the issues. I wasn't too sure about where we stood on some of these matters - but now I'm better.

Puff

First Grade
I think Merritt killed a myth last night, the one where people thought he was an origin player.

Mr Red

First Grade
Thanks for this. This post makes up for the utter idiocy of the first post of this thread. If Price is still coach next year, remember you heard it from me first, everyone will be complaining about how Widdop and Thompson are overrated, overpaid, not putting in and etc. Dugan is so good that he can push past the handicap.... at least for a while.

+1
Same already goes for Mitch Rein, Ben Creagh, Nathan Green and a few others that have either gone backwards in performance under Price or not lived up to the potential they showed under the previous coach.