What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killing some more existing myths.

karuah6

Juniors
So when was the last time our club sacked a coach mid-season, only to then appoint a caretaker for the remainder of that season? Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe we have ever done this, at least not in the time that I've been following the club (and that is near 25 years now). This alone is enough for me to think that Steve Price will see out the remainder of his contract, just as Nathan Brown did when Wayne Bennett was appointed in April 2008, and that (get the bucket ready for most of you) any potential extension for Price beyond 2014 is going to be dependant on the results in the opening rounds next season.

I also highly doubt, after granting him a 1-year extension back in April, that all of sudden the board is going to turn around and give Price the chop at any point in this current season.

Too much logic here. Sure to get some good replies.

Minh

First Grade
I was a Price supporter and was actually happy we gave him an extension but his lack of forward thinking particularly in the halves and in the centres is scary. A lot of people call him stubborn for always selecting a losing team and doing it over and over, it's getting to the point of stupidity. If we lost whilst playing some youngsters like Seijka or even experimenting with a guy like Quinlan in the halves I can totally live with that, at least we know what we have and what we must have.

How is any up and coming player going to be motivated to play if they know that the head coach has no vision to use them, how are they going to perform at their best. I agree that some may not be ready but to tread that line all the time "their not ready, their not ready" becomes very monotonous and very cliched and very Price like, which I'm getting quite tired of to be honest.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Too much logic here. Sure to get some good replies.

How's your logic here?

3. Chase Stanley and Nathan Fien are our halves combination!
Likely for the rest of this season at least. These guys had a good game together vs. Knights. They need a few more games together.

saint.nick

Coach
So when was the last time our club sacked a coach mid-season, only to then appoint a caretaker for the remainder of that season? Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe we have ever done this, at least not in the time that I've been following the club (and that is near 25 years now). This alone is enough for me to think that Steve Price will see out the remainder of his contract, just as Nathan Brown did when Wayne Bennett was appointed in April 2008, and that (get the bucket ready for most of you) any potential extension for Price beyond 2014 is going to be dependant on the results in the opening rounds next season.

I also highly doubt, after granting him a 1-year extension back in April, that all of sudden the board is going to turn around and give Price the chop at any point in this current season.

You're again sounding naive. Why do you think he can only be sacked in the mid-season? What about the off-season?

saint.nick

Coach
No one knows the real reason why Price was handed an extension. Maybe Doust was unbelievably naive and had confidence that Steve Price would turn into a supercoach over the course of this season. Or maybe, they couldn't find any better alternatives at the given situation, and gave Price a measly one year extension of no confidence to end the coaching uncertainty which was lingering around the club. Remember, the extension was only one year, so in my opinion, it's not too unusual for a group of men to change their mind about a coach who was already creating doubt in the minds of people and piss him off.

Dezziedc

Juniors
I was a Price supporter and was actually happy we gave him an extension but his lack of forward thinking particularly in the halves and in the centres is scary. A lot of people call him stubborn for always selecting a losing team and doing it over and over, it's getting to the point of stupidity. If we lost whilst playing some youngsters like Seijka or even experimenting with a guy like Quinlan in the halves I can totally live with that, at least we know what we have and what we must have.

How is any up and coming player going to be motivated to play if they know that the head coach has no vision to use them, how are they going to perform at their best. I agree that some may not be ready but to tread that line all the time "their not ready, their not ready" becomes very monotonous and very cliched and very Price like, which I'm getting quite tired of to be honest.

See this is what I don't understand. We bag Price for playing players out of position all the time (such as Prior, Stanley, Fein etc) yet it's OK to experiment with Quinlan out of position for only his second game in first grade in a key position?

My thoughts on the "not ready" approach is that they aren't really giving him any options. So who do you throw into the main team? If they aren't playing well in the Cutters, why would you want to reward them with a position in first grade? Why put Drinkwater into first grade when it appears he is struggling in the Cutters? This same view can be obviously be applied across the park because the Cutters are also languishing at the bottom of the table. Maybe Seijka was not as convincing as they had hoped in his first game for the cutters, maybe the coaching staff want to ease him into first grade rather than throw him in the deep end.

I am not a Price supporter, he has certainly contributed to the situation no doubt. But blaming the entire season and last solely on him to me seems all too convenient. People make a lot of assumptions based on what we see on the field - and I can understand that. But in reality nobody apart from the coach, players and administration really knows what is going on with the current team and why certain decisions are made.

karuah6

Juniors
How's your logic here?

3. Chase Stanley and Nathan Fien are our halves combination!
Likely for the rest of this season at least. These guys had a good game together vs. Knights. They need a few more games together.

Why don't you refer my post to the reply it represents. Another person who is changing comments to suit his agenda. Another so called expert.:roll::roll::roll:

Fiery

Juniors

When was the last time the club was in a position such as this? Consistently bad, getting consistently worse with no light at the end of the tunnel due to the #!%#$ coach sticking with the same team week after week no matter how badly they are playing and thereby likely destroying the confidence of capable players like Prior.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Why don't you refer my post to the reply it represents. Another person who is changing comments to suit his agenda. Another so called expert.:roll::roll::roll:

I'm about as much of an expert as you champ. I don't know what goes on in the club, why players are and aren't picked. What goes through Price's brain. is he a genius or just plain dumb. One thing I do know is that our halves have NOT played well all year and giving them more time together is like flogging a dead horse. There's my expertise champ.

And thinking a coach won't be sacked because we've never sacked a coach in 25 years is as naive as saying Wayne Bennett will never coach the Dragons because he's been with the Broncos forever and we would never go after him...there's your logic champ

Last edited:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
When was the last time the club was in a position such as this? Consistently bad, getting consistently worse with no light at the end of the tunnel due to the #!%#$ coach sticking with the same team week after week no matter how badly they are playing and thereby likely destroying the confidence of capable players like Prior.

:lol::lol::lol:

karuah6

Juniors
:sarcasm:
I'm about as much of an expert as you champ. I don't know what goes on in the club, why players are and aren't picked. What goes through Price's brain. is he a genius or just plain dumb. One thing I do know is that our halves have NOT played well all year and giving them more time together is like flogging a dead horse. There's my expertise champ.

And thinking a coach won't be sacked because we've never sacked a coach in 25 years is as naive as saying Wayne Bennett will never coach the Dragons because he's been with the Broncos forever and we would never go after him...there's your logic champ
:roll::roll:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
No one knows the real reason why Price was handed an extension. Maybe Doust was unbelievably naive and had confidence that Steve Price would turn into a supercoach over the course of this season. Or maybe, they couldn't find any better alternatives at the given situation, and gave Price a measly one year extension of no confidence to end the coaching uncertainty which was lingering around the club. Remember, the extension was only one year, so in my opinion, it's not too unusual for a group of men to change their mind about a coach who was already creating doubt in the minds of people and piss him off.

:?:: Ya think ?

You should have just written that and saved the rest.

Fiery

Juniors
Haha great reply champ

Forget about it. This guy (karuah6) disappeared for several days after the latest mockery against the Cowboys. He hopes we have all forgotten about that. After all, what is one more mockery after the past 18 months?

karuah6

Juniors
Forget about it. This guy (karuah6) disappeared for several days after the latest mockery against the Cowboys. He hopes we have all forgotten about that. After all, what is one more mockery after the past 18 months?

I am always here Fiery. Just waiting for you to make another silly bloody statement.:lol::lol::lol:

possm

Coach

I just think there must be more to this contract extension than meets the eye. It is very unlikely that anyone on this forum knows the conditions set in the contract extension.

For me the contract extensions only makes sense if the Board was looking for stability at a time when a new coach could not be identified. If this is the case then a wise Board would have put performance conditions within the contract. Also learning from their mistakes in the past, I think they would be keeping quiet any talks they maybe having with a replacement coach.

Fingers crossed, this is the case.

watatank

Coach
The club gave him a one year contract extension with a year in the club's favour. I would also assume that a coach of his standing is cheaper than many alternatives so they could pay him out whenever they wanted to and not lose too much. If that doesn't fulfil your criteria then what does?

Last edited: