What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killing some more existing myths.

matPORTS

Juniors
I would like to kill a few other myths that currently exist.

1. Steve Price is signed as our coach until the end of 2014!

That's right people. That means Laurie Daley, Tim Sheens, Tony Smith, Daniel Anderson, or (insert name) will not be taking over next year. Price was re-signed several months ago. We are the St George Illawarra Dragons, not the Australian Labor Party. Get used to it and we should be backing the coach to the bitter end!

2. Josh Dugan is our Full Back!

Now and into the foreseeable future. Even when Gerard Beale returns from injury. He will not (nor should not) be a stop-gap measure in the halves.

3. Chase Stanley and Nathan Fien are our halves combination!
Likely for the rest of this season at least. These guys had a good game together vs. Knights. They need a few more games together. Siejka may be an option at pivot later should this fall over or in the event of injuries.

Quinlan and Drinkwater are not ready for first grade footy in the halves. I believe the Cutters current performances speak volumes here. With Widdop coming and potentially one of either Rangi Chase or Sam Williams, the best these two guys can do is focus on improving themselves this year so they can battle it out in the pre-season for a spot in the top 25 next year.

I know a lot of us are desperately seeking changes in the halves as the way of getting us back up the table in the remaining games this season, but these guys need to earn their spot. They aren't yet doing enough. Price is making the right calls here.

4. The players need to take some accountability for the current performances!

The coach is not solely to blame here. There have been some consistent performers in the team, which I will now list in three groups:

STARS:

Merrin
Dugan
Morris
Nightingale

POTENTIAL STARS:

Frizell
de Belin
King

SPECIAL MENTIONS:

Fien - tries his guts out every week but is certainly on tired legs. Should definitely be given a amicable send off at the end of the year.

Stockwell - for a young bloke he has certainly pulled his weight up front in light of Weyman injuries and Hunt inconsistencies. Look for this guy to develop into a great forward in the coming years.

Ah Mau - has done very well in the games he's played & was particularly impressive against the Cowboys in a losing side.

The rest really need to step up. Probably being too harsh in some quarters i.e. Creagh, for example, is playing well but seems to not be dealing too well with the added responsibilities of the captaincy. However, he will learn and grow further from this years experience.

While I'm trying to desperately move away from the coach bashing, yes, we do have some dead wood in the side (most of which has been detailed in plenty of other threads). The real tester for Price going into 2014 will be the tough decisions he will no doubt need to make in terms of cutting the dead wood. Failing here will no doubt be the difference as to whether he survives beyond next year or not.

Saint Anger

Juniors
1. Coaches are not immune to the sack. Price is a poor coach, so there's every chance he will not make it until the end of next year.

2. I don't think anyone doubts that?

3. Wow. Just wow....

4. Supercoach has the personality of a wet towel, no wonder the players don't respond to him. Also, with Supercoach a huge fan of playing players out of position, what hope do we have.

Nice try, Steve.

BennyV

Referee
Stockwell is definitely a 'potential star' and there are a few others I would put in the special mentions.
Prior - been unfairly played out of position and has done so without complaining to the best of his ability. The sooner he is back in the forwards, the better.
Harrison - finally gets his spot on the right edge and was playing very well, natural wide-runner and great in defense.
Matthews - hasnt been picked which I think is ridiculous. But same could be said about a number of fringe players (Vaivai, Vea, etc) who have been playing well. But yes, the rest of the first grade squad definitely need to step up.

to_ddeath

Coach

That's right people. That means Laurie Daley, Tim Sheens, Tony Smith, Daniel Anderson, or (insert name) will not be taking over next year. Price was re-signed several months ago. We are the St George Illawarra Dragons, not the Australian Labor Party. Get used to it and we should be backing the coach to the bitter end!

Now and into the foreseeable future. Even when Gerard Beale returns from injury. He will not (nor should not) be a stop-gap measure in the halves.

Likely for the rest of this season at least. These guys had a good game together vs. Knights. They need a few more games together. Siejka may be an option at pivot later should this fall over or in the event of injuries.

Quinlan and Drinkwater are not ready for first grade footy in the halves. I believe the Cutters current performances speak volumes here. With Widdop coming and potentially one of either Rangi Chase or Sam Williams, the best these two guys can do is focus on improving themselves this year so they can battle it out in the pre-season for a spot in the top 25 next year.

I know a lot of us are desperately seeking changes in the halves as the way of getting us back up the table in the remaining games this season, but these guys need to earn their spot. They aren't yet doing enough. Price is making the right calls here.

The coach is not solely to blame here. There have been some consistent performers in the team, which I will now list in three groups:

STARS:

Merrin
Dugan
Morris
Nightingale

POTENTIAL STARS:

Frizell
de Belin
King

SPECIAL MENTIONS:

Fien - tries his guts out every week but is certainly on tired legs. Should definitely be given a amicable send off at the end of the year.

Stockwell - for a young bloke he has certainly pulled his weight up front in light of Weyman injuries and Hunt inconsistencies. Look for this guy to develop into a great forward in the coming years.

Ah Mau - has done very well in the games he's played & was particularly impressive against the Cowboys in a losing side.

The rest really need to step up. Probably being too harsh in some quarters i.e. Creagh, for example, is playing well but seems to not be dealing too well with the added responsibilities of the captaincy. However, he will learn and grow further from this years experience.

While I'm trying to desperately move away from the coach bashing, yes, we do have some dead wood in the side (most of which has been detailed in plenty of other threads). The real tester for Price going into 2014 will be the tough decisions he will no doubt need to make in terms of cutting the dead wood. Failing here will no doubt be the difference as to whether he survives beyond next year or not.

Thanks Pricey/one of Priceys mates :lol: Your input has been acknowledged.

T.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
This

"These guys had a good game together vs. Knights. They need a few more games together."

1. Dugan saved their asses against Drugcastle

2. How many more games do these jokers need? Let's wait until we're dead last before we look for other alternatives.

3. I can't be bothered reading through the rest of your dribble

Steelman

Juniors
Price will have 12 rounds in 2014 to perform maybe less, if not he will be gone.

At this stage I'm still hearing coach Sheens will be waiting in the wing's to take over;-)

Fiery

Juniors
Thanks Pricey/one of Priceys mates :lol: Your input has been acknowledged.
T.

Surely there can't be any other explanation. I think most tend to take it a step further and state that anyone saying he will be coach at the beginning of next year must have some ulterior motive that isn't in the best interests of club or team. Many state this is true of anyone who thinks he will last until the end of this season. I tend to be more.....enthusiastic/emotional and state that anyone who thinks he will last until the next game has ulterior motives that aren't in the best interests of club or team.

Of course I know the last sentence isn't true but as I said about being enthusiastic/emotional.

Fiery

Juniors
Price will have 12 rounds in 2014 to perform maybe less, if not he will be gone.

At this stage I'm still hearing coach Sheens will be waiting in the wing's to take over;-)

So you are willing to write off next year too?

BennyV

Referee
Surely there can't be any other explanation. I think most tend to take it a step further and state that anyone saying he will be coach at the beginning of next year must have some ulterior motive that isn't in the best interests of club or team. Many state this is true of anyone who thinks he will last until the end of this season. I tend to be more.....enthusiastic/emotional and state that anyone who thinks he will last until the next game has ulterior motives that aren't in the best interests of club or team.

Of course I know the last sentence isn't true but as I said about being enthusiastic/emotional.

:?
I agree that Price SHOULDN'T be there next year, but you can hardly put a blanket statement out there saying that those on this forum stating Price WILL be coach effectively dislike the club. They are simply accepting a very likely scenario that he will get a chance next year with the new signings (depending on the teams performance the rest of this year)

I dont usually like exaggerating, but what I've highlighted is without a doubt the dumbest thing that anyone has ever written :sarcasm:

twinkletoes

Juniors

If we wait that long into next season, then 2014 will be another write off year..maybe we should then call 2014 another "rebuilding" year. Price will have had 2 seasons to show whether he is a potential decent coach or not...regardless of the "cattle" available we should be able to judge by his tactics, team structures, selections, innovations etc. On those criteria I have seen enough. On current performance he seems content just to pick the same players week in, week out and is oblivious to whether we win, lose or draw.

Also, apart from Widdop, I am not overly impressed with the players that are coming to think they will make such a big difference. I agree with others that we have some good young talent in Merrin, Stockwell, DeBelin, Frizzell, King etc who should develop into a top pack with the right coaching.

Fiery

Juniors
:?
I agree that Price SHOULDN'T be there next year, but you can hardly put a blanket statement out there saying that those on this forum stating Price WILL be coach effectively dislike the club. They are simply accepting a very likely scenario that he will get a chance next year with the new signings (depending on the teams performance the rest of this year)

I dont usually like exaggerating, but what I've highlighted is without a doubt the dumbest thing that anyone has ever written :sarcasm:

I know I'm exaggerating but I simply can't comprehend how anyone who puts the club and team before any individual (even if it was a Raper, Gasnier and etc let alone a ...."Steve Price" i.e. a nobody to the club) is in favor of this *&$%$# being kept on for 1 more week let alone into next season.

Elias1983

Coach

STARS:

Merrin
Dugan
Morris
Nightingale

POTENTIAL STARS:

Frizell
de Belin
King

SPECIAL MENTIONS:

How many ports did you have before writing this?

BennyV

Referee
I know I'm exaggerating but I simply can't comprehend how anyone who puts the club and team before any individual (even if it was a Raper, Gasnier and etc let alone a ...."Steve Price" i.e. a nobody to the club) is in favor of this *&$%$# being kept on for 1 more week let alone into next season.

Oh believe me, I dont want to put up with it any more, I'd love to see Vaivai, even Runciman in the centres, youngsters in the halves, out-of-form forwards dropped, new coaching tactics etc...I'd also love an invite to a cheerleader jelly wrestling competition which totally exists...sadly, theres a difference in what SHOULD happen and what WILL happen :( sucks to be us!

karuah6

Juniors

Sorry Fiery but he will be the coach next year whether you like it or not as the club has appointed him. Also stop being an obnoxious little boy.
I don't like the position we are in but I am prepared to back the club than you!!!!!!

didnt_read_wtf_gif.gif

Fiery

Juniors
Oh believe me, I dont want to put up with it any more, I'd love to see Vaivai, even Runciman in the centres, youngsters in the halves, out-of-form forwards dropped, new coaching tactics etc...I'd also love an invite to a cheerleader jelly wrestling competition which totally exists...sadly, theres a difference in what SHOULD happen and what WILL happen :( sucks to be us!

I can see your point but I don't accept that we simply need to "grin and bear it" or "turn the other cheek" or however you want to call it. IMO the longer this farce continues the more Dragons fans here and anywhere else should be screaming for not only Price's head but also Doust's or whoever is responsible for not moving on Price until now.

DUB888

Juniors

STARS:

Merrin
Dugan
Morris
Nightingale

POTENTIAL STARS:

Frizell
de Belin
King

SPECIAL MENTIONS:

Time to change hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts