What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Gutho

matPORTS

Juniors
Agreed. There are at least 6 fullbacks in the comp better than him IMO

Trbojevic
Tedesco
Tuivasa Scheck (yes, off to RU)
Papenhuyzen
Ponga
Mitchell

That puts him mid-tier for me.

I can’t stand some of his mannerisms but can’t fault his guts and effort… the bloke has errors in him but he does lead by example, never slackens off.

I wouldn’t sign him, given the supposed asking price and we’d then have another huge cap imbalance with well over $2m on 2 players…

What annoys me more now is that we are turning into Canterbury…Any player coming off contract we are talking about in here.

I honestly couldn’t see him being approached, nor accepting a contract with us. I think he wants a comp…. But at his asking price that’ll blow him out of the water with any team having a decent shot…

Gutherson is a great centre / three-quarter (at no more than $700-750k per season) in a team which has any one of the above named full backs in it as well (and maybe add Nicho Hynes into that list too).

BLM01

First Grade
Gutho wont be leaving the Eels
Same bullshit last time his contract came up
Go after Brown (Dylan) hes the one with plenty of upside
The thing with Gutho
He may not be worth 1 million on ability but
He’s worth a lot of money to any club especially ours as he is an everywhere man and every club needs one in the backs
We don’t have one and that is a large part of the problem
Not saying we should buy Gutho at all and iyou are right he won’t leave the eels I’m sure but we need to develop one

SBD82

Coach
Gutherson is a great centre / three-quarter (at no more than $700-750k per season) in a team which has any one of the above named full backs in it as well (and maybe add Nicho Hynes into that list too).
How is he a great centre/three-quarter?

Last time he played centre was in Origin. And he was thoroughly exposed in the centres.

If he's on the market we should be chasing him. He's better than anything we've got, in a position of need and would elevate the side. End of story.

But the effort to get him would be beyond Millward, so forget it.

Gareth67

First Grade
What is wrong with Sloan Gazza
I see hopefully our future fullback right there
There is no one available anyway

Mate , Sloan will be taking a huge step up in the quality of the opposition that he shall be playing against next season compared to that of the lower grade , not just the occasional cameo appearance as has been the case in 2021 , but for the entire season .

Normally that would not be a major concern as he would have skilled players around him to give him confidence in his game . However the Dragons are not one of the top tier teams , a large percentage of our players are cast-offs from other clubs who themselves struggle to put in a good game on a weekly basis .

I am not suggesting that Sloan does not possess the attributes to eventually become a very good fullback , however I believe that we could be throwing the lad to the wolves by not giving him time to ease himself into the position .

However my main point from my initial post was that the team badly requires a highly skilled player in the back - line , whether that be a Gutherson or a Papenhausen or Tesdesco type .

At some stage our club must buy a skilled back , whether it be a fullback ( preferably ) or a five eighth , a player who will give 100% effort in each game , to light a fire in the Dragon’s belly , as at the moment , it is all but extinguished.

Last edited:

Smirrors

Juniors
While he has been at the Eels, they have been hovering in that top 4. There's no denying that he's part of the reason. He needs others to take it to next level.

Not sure he would come to us unless it was for money. And I think you'd have to pay at least 850K.

redVinme

Juniors
Should use the chance to get a win. Parra will have to shed players somewhere and have some great forwards available as of Nov 1

BLM01

First Grade
Mate , Sloan will be taking a huge step up in the quality of the opposition that he shall be playing against next season compared to that of the lower grade , not just the occasional cameo appearance as has been the case in 2021 , but for the entire season .

Normally that would not be a major concern as he would have skilled players around him to give him confidence in his game . However the Dragons are not one of the top tier teams , a large percentage of our players are cast-offs from other clubs who themselves struggle to put in a good game on a weekly basis .

I am not suggesting that Sloan does not possess the attributes to eventually become a very good fullback , however I believe that we could be throwing the lad to the sharks by not giving him time to ease himself into the position .

However my main point from my initial post was that the team badly requires a highly skilled player in the back - line , whether that be a Gutherson or a Papenhausen or Tesdesco type .

At some stage our club must buy a skilled back , whether it be a fullback ( preferably ) or a five eighth , a player who will give 100% effort in each game , to light a fire in the Dragon’s belly , as at the moment , it is all but extinguished.
I agree. I said earlier we need an everywhere man in the backs,
Id take a Gutho type player, but not at the expense of Sloan or the money needed to pay for the King.

Latest posts