What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KISS for the GF??? (2023 GF entertainment discussion)

The Great Dane

First Grade
They would be a waste of bloody money.

You know who does know the Aussie bands of the new century? The young. The ones who are the future of the game. Kiss would only interest a few old farts and certainly make no difference to the draw or ticket price.
Most 'young' people aren't really that interested in rock music at all if we're being honest. I also think that it'd surprise you how many young people would recognise Kiss's songs once they heard them, but I digress.

Kiss making one of their last appearances on Australian soil at the NRL GF would definitely be a draw to cashed up and fanatical portion of population as well, and to pretend otherwise is just naive frankly. You also totally underestimate the power of celebrity endorsement and general recognition.

But you're still ignoring the point; the NRL has to take what they can get to an extent, and they're forced to go back to the same pool of acts if they miss out on one of the big act that's touring at the time. It's just the nature of the position that the NRL is in.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Sorry, why would you go to a grand final to watch KISS. Surely you would just go to one of their concerts if you're a fan.

NRL fans get too obsessed with who is playing at the grand final. All you need is someone to rock the joint and get the crowd pumping before kick off.

And f**k comparing ourselves to anyone else.

Bazal

Post Whore
Bogan rock from the 70s whose biggest hit was a disco song... They also probably wouldn't know what a bogan was either, being from New York and all.

TBF, Kiss is a big name with undeniable reach and intergenerational appeal whom are retiring at the end of the year. They'd be easily the biggest act available in Australia at the time, and a big get for the NRL if they could pull it off.

Bogan rock = shit old rock music bogans love.

Pretty straightforward tbh

So bands that most people won't have heard of and aren't really a draw even if they have...

Look it'd be great if the NRL could draw big relevant acts to do pre-game and half time shows at the GF, but on average that's not going to be realistic most years, so they have to do the best with what they've got, and say what you want about about Kiss (or any other similar act) but they'd be a good get for the NRL if they could pull it off.

People go to the GF to watch the actual game my guy. That's the draw. The music is barely relevant

Hoofhearted

Juniors
People can bag Barnesy all they want, he was awesome last year. 80k people all singing along to Working Class Man, No Second Prize, Lay Down Your Guns and Good Times. I've been to many large sporting events over the years and as people have said here, couldn't remember or didn't care who the entertainment was. Barnesy last year had the whole crowd singing along to each song.

yobbo84

First Grade
I literally just had to google who the pre-match entertainment was at the 2014 GF. Had zero recollection of it. All I remember is the game.

The game is all anyone ever cares about.

Danish

Referee
They would be a waste of bloody money.

You know who does know the Aussie bands of the new century? The young. The ones who are the future of the game. Kiss would only interest a few old farts and certainly make no difference to the draw or ticket price.

what actual band are the young interested in?

modern music left bands behind a decade ago. They are all solo acts that just do collabs with each other.

Victoire

Juniors
f**k that shit. Give us Suze DeMarchi or Ella Hooper paying tribute to Tina Turner.
A Tina Turner tribute is actually a great idea. 30 year anniversary of Tina performing at the grand final too... makes perfect sense. As much as I love Suze and Ella I wonder if they could get some bigger names for it

The Great Dane

First Grade
People go to the GF to watch the actual game my guy. That's the draw. The music is barely relevant
No you, I, and other footy fans watch the GF for the game, but there're plenty of people whom don't care about the game who might tune in for the pre-game show to watch a particular artist preform, and that benefits all involved from the broadcasters and advertisers to the sport in general and the GF as an event.

The Superbowl is the perfect example of there being undeniable value to the publicity and cross promotion of connecting your product with big acts and celebrities, and that the spectacle of it can enhance the status of the event, and if you think otherwise then, ironically, you're the one that is an out of touch bogan.

No you, I, and other footy fans watch the GF for the game, but there're plenty of people whom don't care about the game who might tune in for the pre-game show to watch a particular artist preform, and that benefits all involved from the broadcasters and advertisers to the sport in general and the GF as an event.

The Superbowl is the perfect example of there being undeniable value to the publicity and cross promotion of connecting your product with big acts and celebrities, and that the spectacle of it can enhance the status of the event, and if you think otherwise then, ironically, you're the one that is an out of touch bogan.
Actually, @Bazal is into it for the chaos

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
that is true but the Superbowl doesn’t pick artists that are 40 years past their use by date. Ffs I’m 47 and can just barely remember the last time KISS had a hit, and that was the last gasp disco number rather than one of the hits from their actual 70s prime.

Steel Saints

Juniors
A Tina Turner tribute is actually a great idea. 30 year anniversary of Tina performing at the grand final too... makes perfect sense. As much as I love Suze and Ella I wonder if they could get some bigger names for it

Yeah it has to be a Tina Turner tribute this year. Maybe get the players from both NRL and NRLW to do a massive nut bush city limits dance off.

Yeah it has to be a Tina Turner tribute this year. Maybe get the players from both NRL and NRLW to do a massive nut bush city limits dance off.
It’s a long shot but I wonder if there’s enough room in between seat rows to bring the crowd into it? 80k fans doing the dance would garner attention globally, you’d think.