What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KISS for the GF??? (2023 GF entertainment discussion)

I’m sure there are plenty of great bands around. They are just nowhere near entering the pop culture zeitgeist that is required to make them an option for the broad appeal that is required for an NRL grand final. Hence always having to go back to the well for ageing bands that at least have name recognition.

The NFL Super Bowl is a great example of the fall of bands. They can afford absolutely anyone they want. In actual fact they don’t even pay the acts as they all want to do it purely for prestige. The most modern band act that has played the Super Bowl is Maroon 5. The only other bands that have even performed at the Super Bowl in the last decade are the chilli peppers and Cold Play, and the chilli peppers weren’t the headline. Now compare that to the 2000s where they had bands headlining a majority of years.

the wide popularity of bands is simply gone. Replaced by design by committee overproduced shit that no one really likes (which is why most of the Super Bowl acts in the last 10 years have been well established artists as opposed to anyone new - the Weeknd being the exception).

Very true. Main reason the NRL don't often get big names is that, as they don't get the exposure that the NFL Superbowl does, they either have to pay for bands or ones who are willing to work for cut price rates. That is what limits the type of musical act they get. The NRL Grand Final doesn't get the worldwide coverage that most big name musical acts would want, so for them it would mostly be about money.

T.S Quint

Coach
Very true. Main reason the NRL don't often get big names is that, as they don't get the exposure that the NFL Superbowl does, they either have to pay for bands or ones who are willing to work for cut price rates. That is what limits the type of musical act they get. The NRL Grand Final doesn't get the worldwide coverage that most big name musical acts would want, so for them it would mostly be about money.

Also there's no real huge name singers/bands that even live in Australia.
No one is going to fly all the way out here just to play at the NRL GF without a hefty chunk of change being spent.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Also there's no real huge name singers/bands that even live in Australia.
No one is going to fly all the way out here just to play at the NRL GF without a hefty chunk of change being spent.
If only there was an internationally recognised band in the country at the time, who are playing the same stadium a week later and will most likely require a last minute push to sell tickets.

wazdog

Juniors
Channel 9 literally cut to Joel Caine for a Sportsbet update and then more ads rather than playing the next Living End track on the broadcast.

You're definitely going to attract quality acts and give them exposure they would be after with this approach. This is amateur hour.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
I think NRL has some deal with (Sony?) in which only artists on that lable are considered.

I think.
Happy to be proven wrong.

Eelectrica

Referee
I think NRL has some deal with (Sony?) in which only artists on that lable are considered.

I think.
Happy to be proven wrong.
So Guy Sebastian it is then.
While searching, without luck for info on a possible NRL deal with Sony, I came across this.
Oh happy days.

How about this instead. We pick 4 random people from the crowd to sing Karaoke? Probably still be more entertaining than what the NRL drag out.

Actually I do like the Tina Turner tribute idea though. If it happens, hopefully the NRL don't find some way to screw it up.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Tina Turner tribute with modern artists should be a no brainer for this year. Covers all the bases. Crowd favourite songs, honours the past without being stuck in it etc.