What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Kiwi Origins"

Illiterate

Juniors
i would be a big fan of a 3 games series NZ v England at the middle of the year. if they did this they should scrap the tri nations. NZ and England should just alternate each year who play Australia and the end of the year in a 3 games series. i would also like them to bring in a NZ JR v NZ senior game. the JR team will be kids from the under 20 and the senior team will be players who had played in the under 20 the year before or who haven't played 20 nrl games by the time the teams are announced.

WarriorDefence

Juniors
The England idea would be great but logistically I can't see it working- there would have to be no nrl for atleast three weeks

ozbash

Referee
i would be a big fan of a 3 games series NZ v England at the middle of the year. if they did this they should scrap the tri nations. NZ and England should just alternate each year who play Australia and the end of the year in a 3 games series. i would also like them to bring in a NZ JR v NZ senior game. the JR team will be kids from the under 20 and the senior team will be players who had played in the under 20 the year before or who haven't played 20 nrl games by the time the teams are announced.

I like it.

Why wasnt there a NZ U20s v Aussie U20s curtain raiser before the ANZAC "test" ?

Aragorn

First Grade
concentrate first on getting a second nrl team in the league, then work on the origin concept.

Aragorn

First Grade
maybe a maori vs all stars concept - similar to the indegenious aborigines vs all star game... that i would be keen to follow that.... again depth could be a problem...

hitman82

Bench
I hate the Kiwi Origin idea.

Kiwis (birth/heritage Kiwis, not imported Islanders) vs Pacific Nations tri series, concurrent to Origin, with an NRL shutdown for the duration of both tournaments.

That's what they should be pushing for. It'd be a godsend for the pacific teams and for the Kiwis.

spear tackle

Juniors
I hate the Kiwi Origin idea.

Kiwis (birth/heritage Kiwis, not imported Islanders) vs Pacific Nations tri series, concurrent to Origin, with an NRL shutdown for the duration of both tournaments.

That's what they should be pushing for. It'd be a godsend for the pacific teams and for the Kiwis.

Now that would be good.
It would also give the Kiwis and Island Nations a chance to blood new players and thus making them untouchable for future Origin raids by Qld and NSW

JoeD

First Grade
The problem is if we do nothing more kiwis will be turning back on nz to play for up to 150k in an origin series. With such a short career who wouldn't take the money? If you want international league to grow something has to happen. Before a ball was kicked off in soo it had plenty of people saying it wouldn't work or last! So let's finally do something!

So u want to grow international league by crowding the already overcrowded calendar with meaningless domestic games? We need an international window in the middle of the year. We can play the poms and the Aussies can do what they like. (Play with themselves probably)

hitro

Juniors
Playing England/UK at the same time as SOO games is perfect. Just imagine a 3 game series, a chance for the Kiwis to build combos,get a payday, and even fill in the time till SOO kick off. Good for NZ and UK! Love it

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Obviously everything hinges on the TV deal, but I'd be happy to see the NRL and Super League (if they agreed) take a break for a month to have rep games.

In an ideal world, the NRL goes for 22 rounds, and after 11 rounds we have a break for rep matches.

QLD Vs NSW
NZ Vs England (alternate each year where it's held)
4 Nations Pacific - PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji
4 Nations Europe - France, Ireland, Scotland, Wales

The 4 nations matches could be double headers each week, every team would play the other once.

As for the rest of the NRL, I wouldn't mind seeing the 7's or 9's brought back rather than giving players a month long break. Take it to varying growth cities (Perth, Adelaide, Wellington, Gosford)

Potential schedule

Friday Night
NZ Vs England

Saturday
Day 1 of 7's/9's ending at 5pm
Double header Pacific 4 Nations 5:30-9:30

Sunday
Day 2 of 7's/9's ending at 5/6pm
QLD VS NSW 7:30pm

Still get as much if not more league than a normal weekend, it grows and promotes the sport, and avoids players having to play multiple games in a short space of time, hopefully reducing burnout.

The only real cons are the fans who will say "we don't want the NRL to take a month long break" to which in light of the pros, I say f**k em.

Brando

Juniors
Can you then imagine the news of the future ... "Superstar in the making Darren Lockyer JNR turns his back on Australian Origin and Green and Gold Test Selection to play in the Auckland V's Heartland Origin series. He stands to make a cool $8.50 for each appearance" ... LMFAO - what a joke!

So u want to grow international league by crowding the already overcrowded calendar with meaningless domestic games? We need an international window in the middle of the year. We can play the poms and the Aussies can do what they like. (Play with themselves probably)

The NRL draw needs a complete restructure it's a complete bungle when it comes down to it, playing some teams twice, others when not at full strength, "premium game" in middle of season, but not sure this is the thread to discuss?

What I don't want to see is Kiwis playing for Australia for cash via origin. I also don't think many Aussies do either. But in the current format kiwis can/do and will continue to choose origin for the cash and challenge! James Tamou from all accounts was a very passionate kiwi till he got a money call from Ricky!
Either a kiwi concept needs induction, only Aussie born can play soo or state games don't affect international status.

I guess we really need to ask some current turn coats what would of made them stay? Also what the kiwi boys would prefer, nz origin or tri series v England?

hitman82

Bench
Now that would be good.
It would also give the Kiwis and Island Nations a chance to blood new players and thus making them untouchable for future Origin raids by Qld and NSW

Exactly. With 40% of the NYC players in Australia being Kiwi/Island eligible, the problem is only going to worsen over the next few years.
Initially this may weaken the Kiwis as we'd lose guys like Hurrell and such, but long term it'd make the Pacific nations far stronger and international league more credible in general.

1MTDaz

Juniors
Lets just imagine that the two teams are Aucklanders v the rest. Do we still really care? Would we want to see Warriors players miss a club game to play this game?

I wouldnt mind. I'd love to see the game

TheDMC

Bench
Obviously everything hinges on the TV deal, but I'd be happy to see the NRL and Super League (if they agreed) take a break for a month to have rep games.

In an ideal world, the NRL goes for 22 rounds, and after 11 rounds we have a break for rep matches.

QLD Vs NSW
NZ Vs England (alternate each year where it's held)
4 Nations Pacific - PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji
4 Nations Europe - France, Ireland, Scotland, Wales

The 4 nations matches could be double headers each week, every team would play the other once.

As for the rest of the NRL, I wouldn't mind seeing the 7's or 9's brought back rather than giving players a month long break. Take it to varying growth cities (Perth, Adelaide, Wellington, Gosford)

Potential schedule

Friday Night
NZ Vs England

Saturday
Day 1 of 7's/9's ending at 5pm
Double header Pacific 4 Nations 5:30-9:30

Sunday
Day 2 of 7's/9's ending at 5/6pm
QLD VS NSW 7:30pm

Still get as much if not more league than a normal weekend, it grows and promotes the sport, and avoids players having to play multiple games in a short space of time, hopefully reducing burnout.

The only real cons are the fans who will say "we don't want the NRL to take a month long break" to which in light of the pros, I say f**k em.

Love it. Now someone talking some godamn sense.

As for a NZ 'origin', what a myth, we are just not that 'provincial' nor big enough for it to be commercially viable anything like SOO...Only thing with the plan above, how would end of year rep footy fit in - four nations?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Love it. Now someone talking some godamn sense.

As for a NZ 'origin', what a myth, we are just not that 'provincial' nor big enough for it to be commercially viable anything like SOO...Only thing with the plan above, how would end of year rep footy fit in - four nations?

With the NRL reduced to 22 rounds the season wouldn't be extended by taking a break. Remove the Anzac Test weekend and it should actually finish a week or two earlier.

Without the issue of players having to play multiple games in a short space of time there'd be plenty of room left for the 4 Nations/World Cup/End of season tours etc.

TheDMC

Bench
With the NRL reduced to 22 rounds the season wouldn't be extended by taking a break. Remove the Anzac Test weekend and it should actually finish a week or two earlier.

Without the issue of players having to play multiple games in a short space of time there'd be plenty of room left for the 4 Nations/World Cup/End of season tours etc.

Sorry, I meant more that if we played the poms mid season every year, the four nations (is it yearly now, I forget?) would see us play way England too much...