What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis Squad for Australia Test and England Series

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Your second point comes down more to how realistic it is that Johnson actually does miss out though. Taking whether he deserves it or not out of the equation, it's pretty unlikely that he will miss out. And as a consequence, who gets the halves spots could directly affect who the hooker will be. Given that it seems likely that Luke will be having surgery and may not be there, that leaves Levi, the aforementioned Smith, and also Nikorima as likely options. If Nikorima however gets the halves spot with (let's assume) Johnson, then we'll probably have Smith sharing the role with Levi (who I don't particularly rate) Given that neither has played big minutes this year, we can probably assume neither will be trusted to play 80 mins in a test match. That's also a pretty inexperienced Dummy half pairing. If TMM gets the halves spot however, I can see one of either Levi or Smith starting the game, with Nikorima providing bench cover for both hooker and half.

In a perfect world, with no injuries I'd go Nikorima and SJ in the halves, with Luke and B Smith sharing hooking duties. So not far off your selection. I'm going to be surprised if that pans out though. I feel like injuries are going to play a big role. Likewise with your non selection of Blair. Whether I'd personally have him there or not, I'll be hugely surprised if he misses out through anything other than injury.

Should be an interesting team. What about Hughes as a smokie for fullback with DWZ back to wing if RTS gets rested by the Warriors?
I know that what you're saying are the most realistic and predictable selections. Johnson will mostly likely return to his jersey. Johnsons better defence makes it hard to rule him out for me. I just think Nikorima is in line-breaking form and brings something different and thats why Ive gone for Nikorima for my team.

TMM is still finding his feet in the NRL and seems like a 'boy' in comparison to Hughes, who has just been almost 'Munster-like' whether he's covering at the back for an injured Slater or being experimented with in the halves at his Storm club.

The thing I like about Levi is his game management of the forwards. He offers good service and the pack flows in a good direction with him on but thats it. Brandon Smith is shaping up to be the future and we need his strength in our team. He hasn't played many minutes but he is being moulded by Cameron Smith and Craig Bellamy and that says a lot.

Blair went into hiding against Tonga. He talked tough about Taumalolo leaving the Kiwis and then when we played Tonga, I had never seen a captain spend so much time on the bench and when on the field, do nothing to inspire his team. We have better back rowers than Blair but he may get picked.

Cold Roses

Juniors
TMM is still finding his feet in the NRL and seems like a 'boy' in comparison to Hughes, who has just been almost 'Munster-like' whether he's covering at the back for an injured Slater or being experimented with in the halves at his Storm club.

He (TMM) stills lacks the necessary physicality to give him the confidence to make the next step up. His frame is stil slight, and it may take a couple more off seasons for his body to strengthen and mature. Nikorima has had a good season, and is definitely our best option to partner Johnson in the halves. The good thing is that we can have this conversation because we finally have options to choose from. With SJ Niko, TMM, Hughes, Luke, B Smith and Levi, and options at fullback beyond RTS, we're slowly moving past the bad old days where we would struggle to find playmakers in the spine positions.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
He (TMM) stills lacks the necessary physicality to give him the confidence to make the next step up. His frame is stil slight, and it may take a couple more off seasons for his body to strengthen and mature. Nikorima has had a good season, and is definitely our best option to partner Johnson in the halves. The good thing is that we can have this conversation because we finally have options to choose from. With SJ Niko, TMM, Hughes, Luke, B Smith and Levi, and options at fullback beyond RTS, we're slowly moving past the bad old days where we would struggle to find playmakers in the spine positions.
Yeah true that about our bit of depth in the halves that we now have. Its a bit of a bummer we've lost all the Tongans as we could've had a real nice team with the likes of Fus, Taumalolo and so on.

Matua

Bench
Never retired, Kearney just exiled him so we could have the likes of Hiku and Harris playing 6
Yeah, and why include experienced depth in a wider training group when you've got centres and second rowers to fall back on.

Yeah true that about our bit of depth in the halves that we now have. Its a bit of a bummer we've lost all the Tongans as we could've had a real nice team with the likes of Fus, Taumalolo and so on.
TBH, the so on is irrelevant other than a bit of depth in the forwards. Those two are the only two nailed on starters.

JJ

Immortal
Blair went into hiding against Tonga. He talked tough about Taumalolo leaving the Kiwis and then when we played Tonga, I had never seen a captain spend so much time on the bench and when on the field, do nothing to inspire his team. We have better back rowers than Blair but he may get picked.

That's Blair all over TBH

Internationally we should move on - there are so many edge and middle forwards that offer more it's not funny... and if they want a veteran presence then Benji surely is a better option, especially given our lack of depth in the halves (FMD they're probably checking on Foran's fitness as a type)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The drums are starting to beat a bit louder now about MacGuire being the next Manly coach, everyone happy with him doing both jobs ?

Cold Roses

Juniors
No problem. Depends if he can get the support staff he needs. I get that the Australians have enough for Meninga to do with promotion of the game throughout the year, but I don't think it's something the Kiwi side necessarily need. I'd rather have a Coach who has a bit of skin in the game on a regular basis anyway. If anything, I would think it would be Manly who would have a problem. He won't get a full pre season if he is with Kiwis in England until the end of November?