What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis v Tonga

Matua

Bench
Finally we have some international league back - Kiwis v Tongan Kiwis.

I'm looking forward to this match, I expect another 2019 result. I haven't been watching enough NRL matches to know who is in form, so does anyone want to have a go at a 17 for the Kiwis?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Sort of looking forward to the game. On the other hand, the existence of the Tongan rugby league team has significantly undermined my interest in international rugby league, so I’m sort of torn between not wanting to give them any legitimacy but also wanting to smash them.

Matua

Bench
Sort of looking forward to the game. On the other hand, the existence of the Tongan rugby league team has significantly undermined my interest in international rugby league, so I’m sort of torn between not wanting to give them any legitimacy but also wanting to smash them.
Yeah, this is my reasoning too. And I want to watch a NZ team. The other thing that confuses me about this section of the forum (along with the Cameron George fluffing a couple of years ago) is how little posters seem to care about the Kiwis. When I joined I thought it would have lots of Kiwis discussion. We've only managed to eek out 5 posts so far.

Last edited:

jaseg

Juniors
Yeah, this is my reasoning too. And I want to watch a NZ team. The other thing that confuses me about this section of the forum (along with the Cameron George fluffing a couple of years ago) is how little posters seem to care about the Kiwis. When I joined I thought it would have lots of Kiwis discussion. We've only managed to eek out 5 posts so far.

I don't remember this at all.

Jim Doyle? Sure. But tbf I barely even remember when George took over.

As for Kiwis discussion... it's a tough one. Kiwis threads in the past have had more traction. I suspect a lot of people are taking a break from league discussion after that second half on Monday. That, and there just hasn't been any Kiwis action long enough that maybe it'll take getting closer to the game before people start to be more interested in those discussions.

Matua

Bench
I don't remember this at all.

Jim Doyle? Sure. But tbf I barely even remember when George took over.

As for Kiwis discussion... it's a tough one. Kiwis threads in the past have had more traction. I suspect a lot of people are taking a break from league discussion after that second half on Monday. That, and there just hasn't been any Kiwis action long enough that maybe it'll take getting closer to the game before people start to be more interested in those discussions.
I could only search back a year or two in the forum, so didn't find any of the fluffing posts, I remember it because I found it weird.

Yeah, we're still a while away from the match so hopefully the interest will pick up.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'll be honest, I lost interest after the 2017 World Cup debacle and never recovered it. Adam Blair can take a lot of the credit for that and his who gives a shit attitude, plus SJ's 'yous got what you wanted' rubbish

Matua

Bench
I'll be honest, I lost interest after the 2017 World Cup debacle and never recovered it. Adam Blair can take a lot of the credit for that and his who gives a shit attitude, plus SJ's 'yous got what you wanted' rubbish
I got over that pretty quickly as that was caused by the coach and fisheads. The Warriors have one of those debacles at least once every year.

Plus, I hate the Tongans (in a league sense, not in actual life) so welcome every chance we have to beat them.

Plus plus, I like to watch NZers playing together.

Plus plus plus, I'm not Australian so don't care about Origin so welcome something different.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I got over that pretty quickly as that was caused by the coach and fisheads. The Warriors have one of those debacles at least once every year.

Plus, I hate the Tongans (in a league sense, not in actual life) so welcome every chance we have to beat them.

Plus plus, I like to watch NZers playing together.

Plus plus plus, I'm not Australian so don't care about Origin so welcome something different.
Nah to be honest, I'll be back once COVID stops getting in the way and we can have some meaningful fixtures. We're spoiled for NZ talent in the NRL, so I have no doubt we can put together a team that is competitive and hopefully also wants to gain back a bit of mana in the jersey and in international league as a whole.

I used to care about Origin and don't anymore, just not interested in a product that airs at 10.30pm on a weekday night. It seems contrived these days, as well.

Matua

Bench
I used to care about Origin and don't anymore, just not interested in a product that airs at 10.30pm on a weekday night. It seems contrived these days, as well.
I live in Sydney so have no issues with time zones. But about 10 or so years ago I realised that it was really detrimental to league in a broader than Oz sense, that I really didn't care who won, and despite the hype at that time it didn't have all the best players playing. Plus, any Kiwis involved in are dead to me as they chose Oz over NZ. 🤣

Our best halves pairing still Hughes (Storm) and D Brown (Eels)
SJ should be nowhere near the team.
Basically a month out, when does a squad get announced?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
As the days and weeks go by with the Warriors it is obvious that we need a huge year from the Kiwis this year, or league in this country is on a slippery slope

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I note that the RLWC is going to be broadcast on Spark Sport. I'm not sure this is a good thing for RL in this country.
It isn't.

Some suit will tell me I'm wrong, but streaming sports services do nothing to maintain strength in a code nationally - especially now, when discretionary income is so tight for so many people. You're asking people to fork out more money when they may have SKY already for the NRL, or potentially they can't afford it anyway.

I'm not particularly tight for money, and I am a massive cricket fan, but I don't generally buy Spark and that's the only way I can watch. So what for the semi-casual fan, who is tight for money? I won't watch the RLWC on my TV. I would if it was on SKY.

Beaver is right, we need the Kiwis right now. And a lot of people won't see them.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Shit I’d forgotten about that. Spark has been terrible for cricket and it will be the same for this World Cup. The beauty of the sky box for me is I can record it and flick through at a leisurely pace if I desire rather than watching every second, that is a pain in the arse on spark

WellsNZ

Juniors
People have moaned about Sky's monopoly for years and wanting competition, now they're seeing why it can actually be a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, Sky has been a f**king dinosaur of a company, but having all your sport on one provider was always a blessing. What competition does there is segment out the content forcing you to buy more or miss out. Sky isn't going to suddenly become cheaper because they don't have the Black Caps home games, you'll keep paying the same and then tack more on top for Spark.

When I lived in the UK I was paying for Sky, BT and Premier to get the sports I wanted.

With the Premier League games were spread across different providers, so you couldn't even just have the one provider for following that. One week Chelsea is on BT, the next they're on Sky etc.