What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Klemmer?

possm

Coach
Klemmer / Haas hope so but unlikely , who else would you try to get if ??

But Millward is a star! Surely he could get these two because if he does not have the coin in the cap now, surely it is because he has front ended a lot of players so he can spend up big in 2019. Meanwhile, we will trash another season hoping for something better in 2019.

It's OK to run the power game with a good forward pack however, this means you need to have a deep list of good forwards in rotation to avoid fatigue and loss of team strength through injury.

Frank Facer

First Grade
So it looks like Ah Mau is off to the Warriors. I would not be looking for a bench player to replace hm. For me it is a prop rotation of:
Vaughan
New top grade prop - maybe Klemmer
Graham
Haas

Gone are:
Ah Mau
Latimore
Allgood
I would be very happy with that prop rotation, but I think we would be lucky to get either Klemmer or Haas. I would add Taupau and Pangai to the lucky category list, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to get the above mentioned players.

Gareth67

First Grade
Fair enough. I wasn't aware of the desire to return to NZ but it makes sense I in that respect.

Silly you Lif'e's Good ! You don't know anything unless you read Fox Sports , after all that has all the latest NRL news telling one about a sportmans thinking and also that of his family . Theres a rumour that they will also be broadcasting young Harold and that ever so sexy Mekel's wedding on Saturday night .

Life's Good

Coach
But Millward is a star! Surely he could get these two because if he does not have the coin in the cap now, surely it is because he has front ended a lot of players so he can spend up big in 2019. Meanwhile, we will trash another season hoping for something better in 2019.

It's OK to run the power game with a good forward pack however, this means you need to have a deep list of good forwards in rotation to avoid fatigue and loss of team strength through injury.

Are you saying its a mess?

MilanDragon

Juniors
As with most clubs, the recruitment officer finds the players, the coach selects the one he wants and the CEO signs off on the deal taking into consideration the salary cap and the budget. The Dogs CEO stuffed up big time.

Every day of the week Hasler is a far better coach than Mary given that Mary has such stars backing him up like Millward, Coyne and Doust.

I’ve never once said Mcgregor is a better coach.

I simply don’t want Hasler at the club. Yes others sign off on it and need to take responsibility, however both of his clubs have had the same problem. He’s the common denominator.

ouryears

Bench
Well if the get rid of Flo, anyone of them could play wing. :sunglasses:

I find it staggering, amazing, incomprehensible, unbelievable and unfathomable that a highly trained player cannot play 55 minutes every 7 days, without becoming burnt out.

45 - 65 minutes a week causes burn out and fatigue?

Remember guys Ike Ray Price, Rocket Rod, and many many more, you can't tell me they didn't play at a thousand miles an hour and they were bashed every week... but I never saw them burn out, become tired.

Fair dinkum, what have we created? Mummies boys?

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I find it staggering, amazing, incomprehensible, unbelievable and unfathomable that a highly trained player cannot play 55 minutes every 7 days, without becoming burnt out.

Remember guys Ike Ray Price, Rocket Rod, and many many more, you can't tell me they didn't play at a thousand miles an hour and they were bashed every week... but I never saw them burn out, become tired.

Andrew Fifita stats, playing big minutes, especially the last month or so

https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premiership/sharks/andrew-fifita/

Saintsified

Bench

What about tennis players? They make league look like fairies.

Crush

Coach
What exactly is "The Power Game" which people are to referring to in this 2018 team?
I just see a team with a great forward pack, a great set of halves and some handy backs. The points are coming from all over the park (except nighty). I kind of understood the power game tag in 2016 when we had amazing defense but couldn't score points other than through arduous up the middle and kick on the 5th type play but this year I don't get it.

There may potentially be issues with Mary's fcked up use of the bench I agree but I don't get the power game stuff.
Why not just say we may suffer from burnout because we play each week with 15 players not 17?
Power game....pffft.

Frank Facer

First Grade

I don't buy into this burn out/fatigued theory either. Most forwards used to play 80 minute, before they introduced the interchange and burn out wasn't even mentioned in those days.

2010Dragons

Bench
I don't believe in psysical burnout. It's all bullshit.
In the 70 and 80 it was a lot tougher and a lot harder. I can't ever remember a player or coach every talk about burnout fatigue. Back then they use to also play a mid week comp. AMACO CUP.

Players these days are MENTALLY burning out because they believe that shit.
Toughen up you big pussies and drink some wet cement.
Back then footy players were much tougher, Now we have super athletes who think they are playing rugby league.

ouryears

Bench
Good player, but his price tag will be too high! Many of our forwards will face increase in salary once they reach Representative Origin level this series. It will be a juggle for Millward to balance the cap. So far he seems to be doing a decent job mixing experience with youth. We just need the coach to give the young talent more than 5 minutes game time.
I think we need to replace Ah Mau with someone at least equal to or better.

I would rather spend Ah Maus money and Nightys money on a gun forward....and put Lomax on the wing, which should give us enough cash to sign Klemmer.

We could offer this same money to Ah Mau but I think he really wants to move on for family reasons.

Also... we have 900k unspent this year.

What is going on?!

ouryears

Bench
I’ve never once said Mcgregor is a better coach.

I simply don’t want Hasler at the club. Yes others sign off on it and need to take responsibility, however both of his clubs have had the same problem. He’s the common denominator.
If Hasler was made our coach I would seriously have to consider moving into the basement of a Dan Murphys shop.

What he did with the salary cap at the grubs was seriously pathetic.... and with all that money he spent they still finished behind us last year,
and we had a bad year!

The grubs played downright boring football under Hasler, he let guys like Kasiano do as they pleased, threatened his hooker if he ever ran the ball he would sack him, and created a losing and boring style of football.

Same goes for Madge, thank God the kiwis got him to save any Aussie club his rantings he puts his players through.

Siebold has proven Madge was the problem at Souths.

Anyway, onwards and upwards the Saints. If / when Mary goes, we need to choose carefully.

BennyV

Referee
What exactly is "The Power Game" which people are to referring to in this 2018 team?
I just see a team with a great forward pack, a great set of halves and some handy backs. The points are coming from all over the park (except nighty). I kind of understood the power game tag in 2016 when we had amazing defense but couldn't score points other than through arduous up the middle and kick on the 5th type play but this year I don't get it.

There may potentially be issues with Mary's fcked up use of the bench I agree but I don't get the power game stuff.
Why not just say we may suffer from burnout because we play each week with 15 players not 17?
Power game....pffft.
Power game was mentioned over and over by Mary at the start of our 2017 season - in articles, in press conferences and in pre-season videos. It referenced the fact that majority of last year's game plan revolved around forwards dominating and creating second phase play, allowing Widdop to play what he sees off the back of it. We've run with the same game plan this year. It's not specifically about where the points come from, it's about our attacking structure.

The 'burnout' doesnt necessarily come from that 'power game', it comes from Mary's inability to rotate the bench, his insistence on playing players injured to the detriment of the team and his inability to adapt his game plan when opposition start figuring us out.

Crush

Coach
Power game was mentioned over and over by Mary at the start of our 2017 season - in articles, in press conferences and in pre-season videos. It referenced the fact that majority of last year's game plan revolved around forwards dominating and creating second phase play, allowing Widdop to play what he sees off the back of it. We've run with the same game plan this year. It's not specifically about where the points come from, it's about our attacking structure.

The 'burnout' doesnt necessarily come from that 'power game', it comes from Mary's inability to rotate the bench, his insistence on playing players injured to the detriment of the team and his inability to adapt his game plan when opposition start figuring us out.
Great, thanks for clarifying. So when people on the forum say that I hope the power game doesn't see us crashing and burning in the later rounds they should infact be saying I hope Mary's lack of bench rotation and selecting injured players throughout the season doesn't lead to burnout.
Fantastic, thats the end of blaming the power game for fatigue.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

BennyV every word in your last paragraph is 100% spot on.

Every club has a "power game", if not then why the heck do they have forwards! It's just the game plan that goes with it, which for most teams (especially the top teams) evolves to suit each game. If someone is injured the back the replacement to fill the position, not keep playing them because they "feel ok".

Player burnout is real with us, not because of fitness but poor management of the players. McGregor needs to grow a set and rest injured players not allowing them to decide (maybe with SOO in mind), backing replacements to do the job and refining game plans to suit changing conditions. Not "she'll be right mate" approach.