What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knight Bennett set to wield the axe

KempoKnight

Juniors
SOME of Newcastle's biggest stars will be in the crosshairs of supercoach Wayne Bennett as he grapples with a salary cap squeeze at the Knights. While Tinkler has pulled off one of rugby league's greatest coups in securing Bennett for a four-year coaching term, a new challenge awaits in assembling the mining magnate's dream team.

Loyal fullback Darius Boyd is set on following Bennett to the Hunter and Sharks prop Kade Snowden has been approached by the owner himself.

That will mean the Knights will have to slash $800,000 a season worth of talent from their roster, which is currently at salary cap breaking point.

"We're maxed right out," said a reliable club source. "It took a lot of juggling with numbers to keep us under this year when Chris Houston unexpectedly returned."

At least three players will have to be sacked if Bennett brings together the team he wants and conducts a similar overhaul to when he first arrived at St George Illawarra. Veteran centre Adam McDougall will free up $150,000 when he retires at the end of the season and others are off contract, including Kiwi Test centre Junior Sa'u, although he is on only $180,000. He wants $250,000 to stay.

Current fullback Wes Naiqama's contract is up and he'll almost certainly have to make way for Boyd.

Hooker Isaac de Gois agreed to terms for a new deal under former chief executive Steve Burraston two weeks ago, but the contract has yet to be ratified by the Tinkler Group and is now in grave doubt.

The most intriguing case will be the Sharks' Origin prop Snowden, who agreed to terms with Cronulla a month ago but changed his mind when Tinkler personally phoned him and offered $400,000-a-year.

Does that offer still stand?

Not if Bennett sticks to his unwritten rule of not paying front-rowers more than $300,000 a season to get the right talent balance across his footy teams.

At the Broncos he let champion prop Glenn Lazarus go to Melbourne Storm and allowed Petero Civoniceva go to Penrith because he refused to match the offers and weaken other positions.

Bennett will no doubt want to hand-pick his own roster at the Knights like he has done at the Broncos and the Dragons to win his seven premierships.

When he left the Broncos to join the Dragons at the end of 2008, he immediately signed Michael Weyman (Raiders), Jeremy Smith (Storm), Luke Priddis (Panthers), Neville Costigan (Raiders), Darius Boyd (Broncos), Matthew Head (Tigers), Micky Paea (Roosters) and Nick Emmett (Broncos).And he released Jason Ryles (England), Josh Morris (Bulldogs), Mark Gasnier (French rugby union), Rangi Chase (England), Lagi Setu (Broncos), Ben Rogers (Knights), Kirk Reynoldson (retirement), Simon Woolford (retire- ment) and Matt Mundine (Rabbitohs).

Bennett insists his full attention remains on the Dragons' premiership campaign and not on planning for the Newcastle Knights next year.

Who do you think out of our off contract players will he let go and who do you think he will release? And who will replace them?

My thoughts

Sau gone. 180k supposadly
Wes gone 100k?
Doogs gone 150k supposadly
Mika gone 60k?
Tolar gone 100k? god probably more
Karawana gone 80k?
Ciraldo gone 120k?
Lulia gone 80k?
Rogers gone 80k?
Macdonnel gone 80k?

10 players = 1.03mil

Also potentially no De gois :(

With the chance to get third party sponsors how much room to move would this give us?

Pumba

First Grade
Ennis set to return to Knights
after Bennett deal

Brad Walter
April 13, 2011

WAYNE BENNETT'S signing with the Knights has sparked a chain reaction that is tipped to result in NSW Origin hooker Michael Ennis returning to Newcastle next season and Michael Maguire appointed South Sydney coach within days.

On a dramatic day in rugby league, the Bulldogs also lost Blues centre Jamal Idris to the Gold Coast, with speculation that his shock decision to join the Titans on a five-year deal was partly due to the Knights' inability to fit both him and Darius Boyd under the salary cap.

Boyd will follow Bennett from St George Illawarra to Newcastle next season, along with key members of the Dragons coaching staff, headed by high-performance manager Jeremy Hickmans.

The Dragons contingent, who all moved from Brisbane with Bennett in 2009, could be joined at the Knights by another former Bronco in Ennis.

Canterbury last month announced the 27-year-old Newcastle junior had agreed to a contract extension for a further three seasons but it is believed he has a get-out clause. Ennis left the Broncos at the same time as Bennett, and has a close relationship with the master coach from his three-year stint under him.

It is understood he would have gone with Bennett had he chosen to return to Brisbane or to join Souths.

It is also understood Ennis is yet to sign his new deal with the Bulldogs, which was announced on March 1, but the contract means he can exercise a get-out clause by round 10 of this year's competition.

Boyd is off-contract at St George Illawarrra, and the club is resigned to losing him after Bennett announced two weeks ago that he was leaving at the end of the season as the star fullback, who won the Clive Churchill Medal as man of the match in last year's grand final, is considered a virtual package deal with the seven-time premiership winning coach.

Brisbane officials had Boyd earmarked as captain Darren Lockyer's replacement at five-eighth until Bennett advised Broncos chief executive Paul White last Thursday night that he would not be returning to the club he guided to six grand final wins in 21 seasons as coach.

Whether Boyd will play fullback or five-eighth at Newcastle remains to be seen as Knights captain Kurt Gidley can also capably fill either role but many within the game see Boyd making a similar transition to the No.6 jersey as Lockyer.

The Knights have about 10 players off contract but it is unlikely the club could have signed both Boyd and Idris, who yesterday agreed to a five-year deal with the Titans worth more than $2 million.

Newcastle owner Nathan Tinkler also wants to sign Cronulla prop Kade Snowden, and the NSW Origin representative is expected to accept his offer following the mining magnate's successful takeover of the club on March 30 and Bennett's decision to coach the Knights until the end of the 2015 season.

Like Ennis, Snowden is a Newcastle junior, and Tinkler is keen to bring homegrown talent such as the Origin duo back to the club. However, Bennett has never been one to show blind loyalty to any player, and those off contract at the Knights, including hooker Isaac De Gois, will now be anxious about their futures. De Gois is believed to have all but agreed to terms for a new three-year deal with the Knights, but that was before Tinkler's takeover.

Others off contract at the end of the season include Steve Southern, Adam MacDougall, Wes Naiqama, Matt Hilder, Shannon McDonnell, Cameron Ciraldo, Con Mika, Kevin Naiqama and Keith Lulia.

Gidley is understood to have agreed to terms for a new four-year deal, while the club is expected to step up negotiations with New Zealand Test centre Junior Sa'u now that Idris has signed with the Titans.

Newcastle coach Rick Stone has been offered a role as Bennett's assistant, although the 44-year-old, who played three first grade games for South Sydney in the club's 1989 minor premiership-winning team, was yesterday linked with the Rabbitohs job. However, the Herald understands that Wigan coach Maguire has already agreed to take charge of the Rabbitohs, and an announcement is expected as soon as today.

LeagueHQ

rnb11

Juniors
I didn't even have to look at the top of the page to know who typed such junk. How on earth can he have it in his head that Snowden and Boyd would take up $800,000 of the salary cap!? Snowden would be on 350 max in the books so according to Rothy we'll be paying Boyd over $450,000 a year... what's this guys problem.

At the end of the season I'd be happy to let go of MacDougall, Southern, Ciraldo, McDonnell, Mika, Lulia and Karawana, re-sign Sau, Gids, De Gois, Kev and Wes (the Naiqama brothers on smallish contracts) and at least sign Snowden and Boyd. Ridding our squad of these mediocre "depth" players will help us bring more kids into top grade which I think is extremely important going forward. I don't think our depth would be effected at all infact I think it'd be in better shape than ever. Looking forward to see what transpires over the coming months.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think Sau might have to make way, not necessary for Snowden and Boyd but more so for other Bennett signings. I love Sau but at the end of the day he's replaceable and I don't think he's worth $250k considering his flaws. I personally think Boyd can become one of the best centres in the game, he's got the size and speed and has a tremendous passing game, meaning Uate or McManus will have a field day.
I personally reckon we should target Will Chambers, he's young, he's big, athletic and most importantly a very good defender. 2 years ago he and Steve Turner of all people were statistically the best defensive centre/winger combo in the league. Outside of that we have pretty much a clone of the 2008 model Junior Sau in Likiliki.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Got to agree with aqua_duck. I love me some Sau, but he's not worth $250,000 and there's an abundance of good centres out there in the world. It would be sad to lose De Gois (and Ennis is a prick) but he's an upgrade for sure.

The idea of Snowden, Boyd, and Ennis running out in Knights colors without really losing any major stars is pretty mouth-watering. Exciting times ahead. Now I suddenly wish the salary cap didn't exist >_>

The Joker

Juniors
Should be interesting to see what happens with Gidley if Boyd comes into the side. One would assume the dally m player of the year would be playing fullback and even though Gidley makes an adequate 5/8, Henry would still be the preferred option as a playmaker. Gidley may find himself on the bench as a utility at best. I guess another option from left field would be to put Gidley in the centres which means freeing up salary cap space by releasing Sau without the need to sign someone else.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Yes. The majority of above mentioned players can be let go. I don't get the Sau affection. Not one of my favourites but Bennett maybe able to do something with him. I see Gidley on the bench working the second part of each half if Boyd comes here. I also can't understand how our cap is maxed out yet Titans and Souths etc have rostsers brimming with stars and they keep buying big names?????? I mean who in the pack would be taking up huge money and who in the backs (exceptions Mullo and Gidley) would be taking up big money??

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Yep Sau would be the very first on my chopping block if he wants 250K.

Surely if Boyd is so intent on remaining attached to Wayne's balls wherever he goes, he will be willing to sign for substantially less than market value?

And Kade...300K to move home, be a part of your hometown's new uprising, be the pack leader and play under Wayne Bennett(and also escape from the Sharks)...think about it.

I could live with Ennis at hooker as well if he signs under the same motives. Not sure how everyone would fit in, but I'm keen to find out.

Spot On

Coach
Is this the same Ennis who was publicly pleading for Idris to stay loyal to the Dogs and resign there - not at Newcastle???

Noname36

First Grade
Looks like Sau's gone if he wants 250k.

I'd say either Gids or Boyd will play at centre for sure then. Or maybe one of them will go to the halves and Bennett will bring in some completely different centres.

I kept hearing that when Beau Henry had a heap of offers on the table, Bennett encouraged him to go to Newcastle where he could form a young halves combo with Mullen. In hindsight that was probably poor advice for Henry if Bennett decides not to use him heh.

Looks like Menace is on the way home if the Walter article has any legs. Add the strong mail regarding Greg Bird and almost certainly Snowy and Boyd that is going to be one very strong squad in 2012 if all that comes to fruition.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Has Gidley signed a new contract yet?? Can't see him playing anywhere but bench .... and God forbid... in the halves but surely Henry will be given preference over him. Surely. Either way, if Boyd is coming can you honestly see the Clive Chuchill medalist being played somewhere other than fullback??? J. Mac's wing perhaps???? Maybe centre???

Last edited:

League_God

Juniors
Has Gidley signed a new contract yet?? Can't see him playing anywhere but bench .... and God forbid... in the halves but surely Henry will be given preference over him. Surely. Either way, if Boyd is coming can you honestly see the Clive Chuchill medalist being played somewhere other than fullback??? J. Mac's wing perhaps???? Maybe centre???

where were you when i was saying this and every man and his dog were telling me im an idiot?
All of the sudden there seems to be a change of heart in this forum.
How anyone could ever actually believe Gidley is a better fullback then Boyd is completely beyond me.