What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights 2021/22 Off-Season

ryan.a87

Juniors
I think we can all agree this will be the team rounds 1

1. Tex Hoy
2. Stafford Toa
3. Brodie Jones
4. Brayden Musgrove
5. David klemmer
6. Kurt Mann
7. Jack Johns
8. Dsaf
9. Chris Randall
10. Jsaf
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Mitch Barnett
13. Kurt Mann’s clone

14. Crossland
15. Sue
16. Andrew johns doing a benji
17. Lucky dip with a random Facebook fan

Silent Knight

First Grade
Mann fluff pieces may be the death of me this off-season.

When you want some hope for the 2022 season you like to hear your coach talk about Kurt Mann being integral to the team's attack.

Not Kalyn Ponga.

Not Jake Clifford.

Not Dane Gagai.

Not Bradman Best.

Not Tyson Frizell.

No...Kurt Mann is the man we need.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I think we can all agree this will be the team rounds 1

1. Tex Hoy
2. Stafford Toa
3. Brodie Jones
4. Brayden Musgrove
5. David klemmer
6. Kurt Mann
7. Jack Johns
8. Dsaf
9. Chris Randall
10. Jsaf
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Mitch Barnett
13. Kurt Mann’s clone

14. Crossland
15. Sue
16. Andrew johns doing a benji
17. Lucky dip with a random Facebook fan

disgusted-disappointed.gif

Woosh

Head Moderator
Enari Tuala's late-season try flurry may have cemented him a new two-year contract with the Knights but he knows it doesn't guarantee him anything heading into a third season at the club. Tuala's future in Newcastle was anything but assured at times last season with his form only so-so during the opening 17 rounds when he played in the centres. Up until that point, he had scored just two tries and rarely been a threat in attack. But then came coach Adam O'Brien's decision to push him out to the wing outside Bradman Best. It changed everything. In his final seven games, Tuala crossed 11 times, including hattricks against Canberra and in the side's semifinal loss to Parramatta. Suddenly, not only were the Knights keen to keep him on board, there was also interest from rival NRL clubs. "His price definitely went up thanks to what he did at the back end of the season,"Knights head of recruitment Clint Zammit said. "He had some interest elsewhere but the good thing for us was he never wanted to go anywhere else. He's a great young kid 'Nars' - someone you can always rely on both on and off the field. "I think he's only missed one game in two seasons as well so he has been great value for us." As is his way, the 23-year-old was quick to deflect praise for the way he finished the season to the likes of Kalyn Ponga and Bradman Best. "It was pretty good how it turned out for me but most of the time, I didn't have to do a whole lot," he said. "The boys put it on a platter for me most times." As for looking at options elsewhere, he said: "I never wanted to go anywhere else. It's a great club and we're definitely heading in the right direction. I want to be a part of that." With Dane Gagai linking with the club to play with Best in the centres, Tuala knows wing is more than likely where his future now lies. But despite showing he knows how to finish off tries with the best of them, he understands there will be plenty of competition for spots in 2022 and is not taking anything for granted. The likes of Dom Young, Starford To'a and Brayden Musgrove all tasted the top grade last season on the wing and will be hungry to take another step forward. Young, in particular, has been a real standout among the younger brigade at pre-season training, earning praise from O'Brien. "There's going to be plenty of competition among the boys which is really healthy and there are no guarantees for anyone," Tuala said.

Silent Knight

First Grade

The likes of Dom Young, Starford To'a and Brayden Musgrove all tasted the top grade last season on the wing and will be hungry to take another step forward.

Dom Young could potentially take Enari's spot, but not Starford Toa and Brayden Musgrove.

Hymel Hunt is an automatic pick based on his reliability. If Edrick Lee makes it back he slots straight into the other wing spot imo. Prior to his injury I thought Edrick was our premier winger at the club. His speed, his height advantage (I still remember him making a mockery of David Nofoaluma) and his defensive smarts.

Fully fit, it's a nice situation to be in. Hymel and Edrick as our starting wingers (plenty of experience), Enari and Dom as our backups (plenty of tomorrows). We'll want to be careful about keeping Dom out of first grade for too long though, otherwise Melbourne might come knocking.

Jono078

Referee
I thought Musgrove got worse with each game.

He started with plenty of heart, effort and solid defensive efforts but then he got smashed around quite a bit and was quite ineffective returning the ball.

I wonder if Young will be our top winger by mid-season.. He may even be a centre with Gagai outside of him?

PhilGould

Bench
I'm sure he's on close to the minimum but signing Musgrove to a multi-year deal fresh out of the local league was a strange choice.

Knight Tales

Juniors
If the maths is right we still have both Pearce and Watson’s Money to spend.
The likes of Dom Young, Starford To'a and Brayden Musgrove all tasted the top grade last season on the wing and will be hungry to take another step forward.

Dom Young could potentially take Enari's spot, but not Starford Toa and Brayden Musgrove.

Hymel Hunt is an automatic pick based on his reliability. If Edrick Lee makes it back he slots straight into the other wing spot imo. Prior to his injury I thought Edrick was our premier winger at the club. His speed, his height advantage (I still remember him making a mockery of David Nofoaluma) and his defensive smarts.

Fully fit, it's a nice situation to be in. Hymel and Edrick as our starting wingers (plenty of experience), Enari and Dom as our backups (plenty of tomorrows). We'll want to be careful about keeping Dom out of first grade for too long though, otherwise Melbourne might come knocking.
Bellamy is a huge fan of Dom. Was filthy we signed him from under their noses. I’d say a lot of clubs are looking at him. Bennett will be one.

Yosh

Coach
I think Lee has missed too many games to hit the ground running again. At his best he is our best winger but I think he is past his peak. I could be wrong but I am cautious.

I think Tuala and Hunt should be considered out starting wingers. I am a HUGE fan of Dom Young. He reeks of a future superstar. I would want him to be the number 1 backup for the backs or even try to find somewhere in the 17 for him to come on during the game. I would much rather have Young on our bench than Fitzy.

I'm rather sad To'a never developed. I thought he was going to be our next gun outside back. Probably should have been our replacement fullback ahead of Hoy and Mann. I hope he sticks around though.

Yosh

Coach
To be honest, I was glad we managed to sign Gagi but wasn't happy about the signing. I always had the impression he sort of betrayed the club in the end? Seeing the promotional material has me warming up to him again. I hope he plays left centre and really leaves behind a good legacy here.

ryan.a87

Juniors
Dylan Pythian given a nsw cup contract, training with main squad apparently….personal request from Brennan after spending time with him at Titans…..would be a good story if he has indeed changed his ways and earns a spot back Olin the first grade team

Jono078

Referee
Dylan Pythian given a nsw cup contract, training with main squad apparently….personal request from Brennan after spending time with him at Titans…..would be a good story if he has indeed changed his ways and earns a spot back Olin the first grade team
I don't remember him too well but I feel he showed more than what Hoy, To'a and Musgrove have in their FG stints?

Old dog

Juniors
He looked the goods before injury and other things.
If he did come good he would fit in at 5/8 our seemingly weakest spot, time will tell.

Woosh

Head Moderator
The tears say it all. Almost four years after being sacked by the Knights following a second positive drugs test, Dylan Phythian has been given a shot at redemption by the club. At the invitation of pathways boss Garth Brennan, the 26-year-old playmaker is training with the Knights' NSW Cup squad over the summer, hoping to break back into the big time. Brennan says he'll never forget their phone call. "When I rang him to ask him about coming in and having a summer with us, he was all emotional and teary and said it's all he's ever wanted but never thought another chance would come," Brennan told us. "It's stories like that I love - it's what gets the juices flowing. "I had a bit to do with him on the Gold Coast after he left the Knights. I know the kid can play. So I spoke to Danny [Buderus] and Phil Gardner about it and they said they believe in redemption stories. "He was young, he made some mistakes but he's got a family now, he's settled down. I'm really happy for him." Phythian 26, said Brennan's call came right out of the blue. "He made me cry - I was a bit teary to be honest," Phythian said. "It's all I ever wanted to do since I left. I'm still sort of pinching myself at training being back in there and getting another crack. "Nothing's guaranteed obviously but I'm setting the bar high for myself. I'm trying to do as much as I can in there to get the eye of the coaches and have a six or seven jersey on my back in round one." Phythian says he has grown up a lot since having his contract terminated in March, 2018 after playing three NRL games. But he still lives with the 'regret and embarrassment'. "There was a problem there within myself that at the time, I didn't admit to and didn't seek the right help for," he said of his drug taking. "I got tied up in a weird situation that I got carried away in. It wasn't until I sat down and had that conversation with Phil [Gardner] and Browny [then coach Nathan Brown] before I was terminated that I realised what I was doing. Being younger and dumber, I just made stupid decisions in the situation I was in with footy after a second knee reconstruction in two years. "I went through a far bit dealing with situations the wrong way. Me nowadays, I would have done things a lot differently. The initial feeling when they cut me was heartbreak and disappointment with myself because I felt I'd let a lot of people down. "Now, I live with a fair bit of regret and embarrassment at the way I handled that. I try not to let it get to me anymore although you still think about it and what might have been. It's why getting another chance means so much." Phythian also now has a family to consider. He will marry fiancee Kirby in November next year and has an 18 month old son Kyree and two step-sons Chase [11] and Tate [9]. "Things have turned around for me. I've grown up a fair bit in the last few years and it's not just me to think about anymore," he said. There can be no questioning the financial commitment of Knights owners' Wests Group. Wests will foot the bill to fly more than 30 Knights players and staff to Brisbane next Friday for a three day army camp before the club breaks for a couple of weeks rest over Christmas. As is usually the case, we're reliably told the camp, organised by High Performance boss Hayden Knowles, will separate the men from the boys both physically and mentally. CEO Phil Gardner wasn't spilling the beans on how much the exercise will cost but the financial outlay is no doubt significant. It's understood a number of rehab players and trialists will travel to Tamworth at the same time to spread some good-will. Christmas will be that little bit more extra special for promising Knights winger Dom Young in a few weeks time. As soon as his camp commitments are over, the 20-year-old is flying home to England and will see his family for the first time since arriving out here in November last year. NIB boss Mark Fitzgibbon says he was "rattled" by the negative reaction to his company's prominent new logo on the front of this season's new Knights jersey when it was officially unveiled a few weeks ago. But while admitting even he wasn't a big fan of the change initially, he's confident any criticism will be short-lived. The Knights' major sponsors' logo has changed from white writing on a green background to dark green writing on a light green background and covers more of the front of the jersey. The vast majority of social media posts from Knights fans condemned the new look when it was first revealed. "I saw all the fuss initially and I was a bit rattled by it," Fitzgibbon told us. "But I have spoken to our people and a lot of the fuss was around people tampering with the image to make it more of an issue than it actually is. "I'm sure once it settles down and people get used to it, nobody will think about it. It has to cater for not only the Knights but the Richmond Tigers and Auckland Blues. "I trust my people to make the right judgments about these things. They have done their homework and tested it in the marketplace and I'm not in a position to second guess them just because in my eyes, it might not look as good visually." The Knights and NIB are currently in negotiations to extend the current sponsorship arrangement, which runs out at the end of next season. Knights winger Hymel Hunt and fiancee Elli Smith have chosen picturesque Bowral in the Southern Highlands as the venue for their wedding later this month. The popular couple will squeeze their nuptials in between Christmas and the New Year on December 29 with several of Hunt's Newcastle teammates sure to be in attendance. Jacob Saifiti's star and that of twin brother Daniel is shining just as brightly off the field as it is on these days. Off his own bat and with his brother's support, Jacob has volunteered to fill Josh King's old role of organising childrens' hospital visits and co-ordinating involvement with charities.

Yosh

Coach
Thinking of the days we used to train at Newcastle Uni... Now the lads get to fly up to special camps. I really feels like the financial backing has increased dramatically the last few years. Hopefully the on field performance can match.

Pyth was really finding his feet as a 1st grader when he got injured and then busted for coke. He was sensational for Burleigh in their premiership winning team a few years ago and seemed to have matured as both a player and a bloke.

I wanted the Knights to give him a second shot when he moved back to the Hunter after his stint at Burleigh. Super glad he's here now though, he offers plenty if he can find his best form and hunger to play. Oodles of talent