What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Good win that one

Even with the list of outs, i was expecting a better performance than the debacle last week and we got it on the road. The most pleasing aspect for me is that things didn't go right the first 10 minutes where we found ourselves 8-0 down but they stuck to it, found the lead and never let it go. I won't get too carried away as Newcastle nearly won it at the end but all in all I thought we deserved the win. The media and non roosters fans alike are sooking about the last 5 minutes but we the game isn't even close if not for some shocking decisions against us.

I was originally filthy with the defence in their first try but watching it back, it was clear obstruction with their decoy runner going straight in to Rads outside shoulder, the penalty goal was ludicrous given the Knight's kicked the ball away and only with 10 seconds left did Sutton advise Keary he could use one from the bucket so we shouldn't have been 8-0 down. I'm sure everyone chuckled with irony when Cheese copped a genuine hip drop without so much as a penalty and then the bunker inexplicably ignored Collins getting whacked in the jaw. Finally, Sutton letting Gagai take a quick tap and then reversing it when he knocked it on is one of the most laughable things I have seen.

Defensively, their other two tries were a bit to soft so things need to tighten up there and Ponga found space on the edges nearly every time he ran the ball however it was a patchwork centre pairing so won't be too harsh. I do think offensively the issues of last year are gone as we seem to be scoring our share of points when given the opportunity.

Manu was brilliant as usual. Of course the obligatory commentary about how he should be there full time will now ensue but Teddy was our best player by far the first 4 games and Joey is the best centre in the world. The halves are an interesting one because Keary does seem to be thriving at 7, they have to find a way for Walker/Keary to complement each other. Angus is getting back to his brilliant best and I like the Angus/Butcher starting 2nd row option. Nat didn't have a great day yesterday but I'm putting that down to new born fatigue.

3 Manu
2 Cheese
1 Angus

Overall a big win for the season as we are 3-3 now. Next four are Storm, Dragons, Broncos and Warriors with the only game not at SFS being Broncos. Need to come out of that at 5-5 at worst (6-4 would be great). If we do we will have an opportunity for a real assault on a top 4 spot because after that the schedule really opens up. The following 9 weeks are:

@ sharks (magic round)
@ Raiders
Cowboys (before origin)
Bye
@ Parra
Bulldogs (Gosford & before origin)
Tigers
Dragons
Bye (before origin)

Don't discount the effect the bye is having on the ladder at this point either. The worst we can be after this week is 10th in the case Manly and Wests both win however 5 of those teams above us would have had a bye. Worth noting we are the very last team to get one (round 14).

H.H

Juniors
Thanks Val and good points on some of those referee decisions. Real head scratchers and I must've been seeing things but his body language and expressions towards us at times, including our challenges didn't look great. The call on that Collins challenge was literally unbelievable. Who cares if the hit didn't cause the drop - HE CLOCKED HIM IN THE HEAD!!! FFS.

Anyway, funny performance for mine. So many outstanding individual performances but collectively we're still very fragile and I guess we have a few out but reckon there is quite a bit of work to do. That right defence was non existent in the first half and despite Jennings looking to still have some spark, I don't think we can afford to carry him defensively in too many games.

Could give points to any of Manu, Toops, Sualli, Radley, Gus, May and Cheese but my top 3 who I don't think had any down moments are:

3 - Manu
2 - Cheese
1 - May

Need to improve next week.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yes the Collins one really puzzled me, whacked around the head should be instant penalty even if he did drop the ball before hand.

3- Angus
2- Manu
1- Cheese

Headless Chook

Juniors
Good win that one

Even with the list of outs, i was expecting a better performance than the debacle last week and we got it on the road. The most pleasing aspect for me is that things didn't go right the first 10 minutes where we found ourselves 8-0 down but they stuck to it, found the lead and never let it go. I won't get too carried away as Newcastle nearly won it at the end but all in all I thought we deserved the win. The media and non roosters fans alike are sooking about the last 5 minutes but we the game isn't even close if not for some shocking decisions against us.

I was originally filthy with the defence in their first try but watching it back, it was clear obstruction with their decoy runner going straight in to Rads outside shoulder, the penalty goal was ludicrous given the Knight's kicked the ball away and only with 10 seconds left did Sutton advise Keary he could use one from the bucket so we shouldn't have been 8-0 down. I'm sure everyone chuckled with irony when Cheese copped a genuine hip drop without so much as a penalty and then the bunker inexplicably ignored Collins getting whacked in the jaw. Finally, Sutton letting Gagai take a quick tap and then reversing it when he knocked it on is one of the most laughable things I have seen.

Defensively, their other two tries were a bit to soft so things need to tighten up there and Ponga found space on the edges nearly every time he ran the ball however it was a patchwork centre pairing so won't be too harsh. I do think offensively the issues of last year are gone as we seem to be scoring our share of points when given the opportunity.

Manu was brilliant as usual. Of course the obligatory commentary about how he should be there full time will now ensue but Teddy was our best player by far the first 4 games and Joey is the best centre in the world. The halves are an interesting one because Keary does seem to be thriving at 7, they have to find a way for Walker/Keary to complement each other. Angus is getting back to his brilliant best and I like the Angus/Butcher starting 2nd row option. Nat didn't have a great day yesterday but I'm putting that down to new born fatigue.

3 Manu
2 Cheese
1 Angus

Overall a big win for the season as we are 3-3 now. Next four are Storm, Dragons, Broncos and Warriors with the only game not at SFS being Broncos. Need to come out of that at 5-5 at worst (6-4 would be great). If we do we will have an opportunity for a real assault on a top 4 spot because after that the schedule really opens up. The following 9 weeks are:

@ sharks (magic round)
@ Raiders
Cowboys (before origin)
Bye
@ Parra
Bulldogs (Gosford & before origin)
Tigers
Dragons
Bye (before origin)

Don't discount the effect the bye is having on the ladder at this point either. The worst we can be after this week is 10th in the case Manly and Wests both win however 5 of those teams above us would have had a bye. Worth noting we are the very last team to get one (round 14).
Very well summed up.

3. Manu
2. Cheese
1. May

I thought Watson had a fine game in the halves all things considered.

Well summed up, @Valheru.

Just like to add how dangerous Suaalii looks every time he has the ball. He’s been on an amazing trajectory since getting over the rugby contract fiasco last year. I thought Watson has been a great stop-gap and liking what I’m seeing from Angus.

I must admit I’m confused with the obstruction rule. Seems to be applied as randomly as the six-again. Thought there was a definite obstruction in Hastings’ try.

The last couple of weeks have shown the team is capable of digging themselves out of a hole when things don’t go their way. Whether we can do that when up against a Penrith or Storm is another matter. Thought Keary, Angus, Suaalii and Rads all deserve points too. Great team performance, a testing month lies ahead.

3. Manu
2. Cheese
1. May

3 points: Joseph Manu.

2 points: Brandon Smith.

1 point: Terrell May.

Honourable mentions - Angus Crichton and Victor Radley.

Latest posts