What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Forum Junior Recruitment Challenge

Karmawave

Bench
It is simple.

You have an unlimited budget, everyone in the NRL is off contract, and you have to select 5 non Knights players from the NRL.

Rules are:-

Players have to be under 22 years of age.

Must have PLAYED at least 1 first grade game.

Each individual player cannot have played more than 25 first grade games.

What 5 gun young players from around the NRL would you want at the Knights?

Last edited:

Karmawave

Bench
Jordan Rankin - Gold Coast Titans

Aiden Tolman - Melbourne Storm

Russell Packer - NZ Warriors

Alex Glenn - Brisbane Broncos

Wade Graham* - Penrith Panthers

* Hard to choose between Graham and Josh Dugan from the Canberra Raiders, but went with Graham.

Anthony Cherrington from the Roosters would have been one of the first chosen on this list as well, however because of his legal issues, is left off because his future in the game is clouded to say the least.

Adsy

Juniors
Karma, your team would have almost 50 first grade starts.

Coote and Graham for the Panthers would have almost played 25 NRL games between the two of them.

Karmawave

Bench
Karma, your team would have almost 50 first grade starts.

Coote and Graham for the Panthers would have almost played 25 NRL games between the two of them.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I meant no more than 25 total games per individual.

Not total for the 5 players.

Adsy

Juniors
Oh you're killin it. Just wasted so much time trying to fit 5 players under a 25 combine game cap.

Adsy

Juniors
Anyway I can't be bothered changing my 5 recruits:

J. Rankin
T. Merrin
R. Packer
B. Jones
J. Idris

Players I could have picked if Karma wasn't a spaz:

D. Taylor
L. Coote
W. Graham
J. Carney
K. Keating

Karmawave

Bench
Matulino (if he counts)/

Actually used to be on a Knights scholarship, before the Warriors challenged the validity of it.

Was actually in the paper the other day about it.

And now the Knights have done away with the scholarship thing so it never happens again.

What a huge loss to let Matulino slip through the cracks.

( In the same article, Jamal Idris was formerly in the train on squad for Harold Matthews at the Knights when he was living in Forster, and was told he wasn't good enough )

Nice recruitment work that.

And btw, Adsy, everyone else got the jist of it, stop being dumb! :lol:

CJG 182

Juniors
Hard to put too much blame on the HM recruiters. Just because he is going well now as a 15y.o. he could have been very average.

Jono078

Referee
Jamal Idris
Russell Packer
Ben Matulino
Josh Dugan
Wade Graham

Everyone's naming Jordan Rankin, is he really that good :?

CJG 182

Juniors
From what I've seen he hasn't been all that great this year.

But you know he played for the Titans at what.. 16? (ignoring the mass injuries) so I think people are mislead by that.

Put it this way he's never going to be better than Picker or Graham, even Wadell is decent in the halves.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah I agree, I want to know if people are picking him because he actually goes good or because of that 1 game last year - which he went alright in.

Karmawave

Bench
Rankin is a future star.

He is leading around the Titans Under 20's as a 17 year old, and they are near the top of the table. Check some of his stats out this year cannot understand how you say he hasn't been that good CJG.

On top of that, the bloke is an Australian Schoolboy, and no doubt will be an Australian Junior Kangaroo.

Sure, that isn't always the best indicator of talent ( see Ryan Stig ), but the way he is playing this year, and the opinion Cartwright holds on him to start him in first grade at 16 , surely has to hold some sway. Everytime I've seen Rankin play he has showed a heap of talent way beyond his years.

The bloke who I don't rate is Dave Taylor! I've never seen a massive bloke play 80% of the game at the level of a man 20kgs lighter than him. He only has a go every now and then, and most the time he is just a big useless friendly giant.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
The bloke who I don't rate is Dave Taylor! I've never seen a massive bloke play 80% of the game at the level of a man 20kgs lighter than him. He only has a go every now and then, and most the time he is just a big useless friendly giant.

This I totally agree with. Taylor would have gone well 15 years ago when the game was slower but he is just too big and lazy for the modern game. Guess thats why he is back playing for the Comets this week

Last edited:

Karmawave

Bench
This I totally agree with. Taylor would have gone well 15 years ago when the game was slower but he is just too big and lazy for the modern game. Guess thats why he is back playing for the Comets this week

When he gets back and runs hard, he can be unstoppable.

Unfortunately, he runs hard 2 times out of every 10 runs.

I wouldn't want him at the Knights. He would become my new pet hate for sure.