What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Land Gagai

Woosh

Head Moderator
Off-season recruit, Dane Gagai, is pumped ahead of his return to the nib Newcastle Knights in 2022.

The former Knight and Queensland Origin representative touched back down at Knights HQ this pre-season fresh off a Grand Final appearance with the South Sydney Rabbitohs at the end of the 2021 season.

On the latest episode of LVL UP - the Knights exclusive, behind-the-scenes documentary series - Gagai pulled on the kit for the first time since 2017 and stated his excitement for the upcoming season.

"It feels awesome (to be back)," Gagai said on LVL UP.

"I got my tonsils taken out over the off-season, and have been resting.

"But I can't wait to play alongside some of the boys like Besty (Bradman Best) and KP and to get to run out in front of all of our fans at McDonald Jones Stadium.

The Mackay junior played 128 games for the Club over six seasons before departing to the Bunnies.

The dynamic centre has also become a mainstay in the Queensland Maroons side since his Origin debut in 2015.

Now at 31 years of age, Gagai brings a wealth of experience to the Knights ranks while he also said he's got his eyes set on one target.

"As a professional athlete, we're here because we want to win and we're very competitive not just on the field, but off the field (too)," Gagai said.

"This whole concept is about letting our fans and all our Members know that we're all in and I'm definitely all in.

"Im going to be doing everything I can to bring a premiership to this Club."

Old dog

Juniors
Thought Gagai was very good and his work with Young was same, Young will get better especially playing outside him, it could become lethal.
I am a big fan of Hunt, how he plays, the person he is/seems but he will come back via reserves based on Young’s current form and likely development

Yosh

Coach
Young made Tupou look average. Normally he scores a couple on us.

The Gagai Young and Best Tuala partnerships look like they will be class. Let's keep them together.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I was very disappointed when we signed him. Disappointed and angry

Today showed he wasn't the same player he was during his first stint with us, and it made me very happy
I knew we were getting a much better player than when he left, and I shared that disappointment.

it was never a talent issue, it was whether he would commit to the discipline. Game 1 has me believing in his attitude. I hope this is standard procedure.

Johns Magic

Referee
They keep talking about what leadership he’s bringing to the backline. Ponga mentioned it in the presser again yesterday.

Young and Best must be getting a lot out of confidence out of him in particular, but even Ponga must be glad to share the load as a young captain.

He played well yesterday but even on his off days I think we should keep in mind what he’s bringing to a baby backline.

Jono078

Referee
My fear was he was coming here for a final payday before settling into the good life of Newcastle.

Yesterday he showed some great qualities as has been pointed out above. If that is the standard then he will be great for us, more than just playing ability.

They didn’t always get it right in attack but look how comfortable Dom looked defending outside of him. Gagai is the perfect centre for his development.

I was annoyed when we signed him aswell. I felt like he was just coming here for one last big pay day and would just phone it in... I'm glad he proved me wrong.
The Gagai that played yesterday reminded me of QLD Maroons Gagai.

Yosh

Coach
Many of us here suffer from PTSD, so, I think the attitude toward the Gagai signing was warranted. I'm super happy that it only took one game to overturn the negativity. His performance was great but the whole backline seems to have gone up a notch in terms of confidence and organization. Gagai during the off season must have helped.

At signing 1 of the premiere backline players in the game ? Confusing.
Not so confusing if you remember the last season he played at the Knights. Coupled with his rep for being an "Origin Tarzan but club Jane" and it was a recipe for deep concern

Im sure we are all glad to be proven wrong

Knight Tales

Juniors
His upper body strength is a quantum leap from when he left here. Knowles’ conditioning shows across the park.

Yosh

Coach
Apart from his physical attributes, his mentality has been a godsend. His fearlessness and confidence has clearly rubbed off on the rest of the younger outside backs. Great recruitment by the club.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Not so confusing if you remember the last season he played at the Knights. Coupled with his rep for being an "Origin Tarzan but club Jane" and it was a recipe for deep concern

Im sure we are all glad to be proven wrong
no doubt he's had good with fairly average seasons in the mix, but overall Gags is pure class. He's added an element of agro to his game that I really like.

Gagai's last season at the Knights is a difficult one, I think if we had the 8th immortal playing for us he may have looked average back then.

Silent Knight

First Grade
My fear was he was coming here for a final payday before settling into the good life of Newcastle.

Yesterday he showed some great qualities as has been pointed out above. If that is the standard then he will be great for us, more than just playing ability.

They didn’t always get it right in attack but look how comfortable Dom looked defending outside of him. Gagai is the perfect centre for his development.

In my mind I liken it to an experienced Adam MacDougall mentoring a young and dynamic Akuila Uate. Uate was at his best when Mad Dog was his centre.