What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Land Gagai

perverse

Referee
Has had a couple of clangers this year that came out of nowhere... but otherwise he's aging like a fine wine. One of the few that's come back of his own accord in recent memory and come to make an impact rather than retire. Can't see him falling off a cliff next year like many were expecting. Legend. Get another decent winger outside him next year to continue the fun in 2024.

Yosh

Coach
What a redemption arc it has been for Gagai. Didn't really leave in disgrace but left in tears and with a reputation that he was only good when playing on the wing in rep sides. Comes back and leads us to a home final. Hopefully he has stay fit and healthy and guide our next up and coming winger (our next Dom Young) for a couple of seasons and retire a Knights legend.

Woody90

Juniors
What a redemption arc it has been for Gagai. Didn't really leave in disgrace but left in tears and with a reputation that he was only good when playing on the wing in rep sides. Comes back and leads us to a home final. Hopefully he has stay fit and healthy and guide our next up and coming winger (our next Dom Young) for a couple of seasons and retire a Knights legend.

Were there tears? I actually don’t remember. I remember he left pretty amicably and most Knights fans were like “fair” when he decided to leave after playing in 3 consecutive wooden spoon sides. I also remember even though he was already leaving he helped the club sign Ponga and said that he hoped he would come back one day.

I personally never had any bad will towards Gagai. From what I remember he never spoke poorly of the club on his way out unlike certain others (*cough* Ramien). I could be wrong though. A lot of shit has happened to us over the past 10 years.

Last edited:

PhilGould

Bench
From memory he said he felt like he wasn't a priority with the club obviously desperately trying to bring in new players at that time whereas Souths really wanted him, but he never had anything negative to say about the club at all.

I wasn't sad to see him go because I think the last few years he was getting by on reputation more than actual performance but certainly never questioned his character.

Yosh

Coach
I meant Gagai cried when we got smashed during the Wooden Spoon years. Very happy to see him come back and rip it up!

Woody90

Juniors
From memory he said he felt like he wasn't a priority with the club obviously desperately trying to bring in new players at that time whereas Souths really wanted him, but he never had anything negative to say about the club at all.

I wasn't sad to see him go because I think the last few years he was getting by on reputation more than actual performance but certainly never questioned his character.

Oh yeah I remember that. Was a tough situation as after 3 spoons in a row our priority needed to be focusing on new signings first. Im sure he didn’t want us to keep getting spoons either.

It was hard to really rate his performances over that period. I remember him copping a lot of stick for not performing like he would in Origin but he was also playing for the worst team in the modern era.

Knight Tales

Juniors
He is playing better with age. Has a few years left still. The best thing that ever happened was being brushed for Origin and getting towelled by a far inferior player.

Yosh

Coach
What a week to have a stinker mate!! Still some great work to get us back into the game.

Woosh

Head Moderator
@Woosh hope that was your curse game out the way.

Drove all the way from the GC to watch my first ever Newcastle home game.
Started the car at halftime…
Like he has done the majority of his career when the team appears down and out he will come up with a big play.
One run in particular in extra time where he beat several defenders to give Newcastle field position for Ponga to seal the game with the penalty goal.

I think this is the game that Newcastle needed to “lose” to release some of the pressure that have been building for the past 10 weeks.

Latest posts