What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Name Tangle

Alex28

Coach
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/knights-name-tangle/2169057.aspx?storypage=0
Knights name tangle

BY ROBERT DILLON AND IAN KIRKWOOD
20 May, 2011 04:00 AM

NATHAN Tinkler’s representatives have criticised Patron’s Trust advocate Stephen Barrett for reserving the name ‘‘Newcastle Knights Members Club Ltd’’ in an apparent bid to stymie Mr Tinkler’s takeover of the NRL club.
The Patron’s Trust had been presented as a potential alternative to a Tinkler takeover.
But an overwhelming 97 per cent of Knights members voted in favour of handing the mining magnate ownership of the club at an extraordinary general meeting on March 31.
Three days earlier, however, Mr Barrett paid $41 at the Australian Securities and Investments Commission to reserve the same company name Mr Tinkler had planned to use for the Knights, and upon which the historic vote hinged.
When Mr Tinkler’s Hunter Sports Group learned of their apparent oversight – after Mr Barrett alerted them several weeks later – they met him in an attempt to resolve the issue but it ended acrimoniously.
‘‘He was obviously a big supporter of the Patron’s Trust, he was one of the main guys behind that,’’ HSG chief executive Troy Palmer said yesterday.
‘‘This was just another one of their tactics to try to derail the transaction.
‘‘And to some extent, there was a bit of self-interest here. A bit of profiteering ... he was being mischievous and looking to profit from his actions.’’
Asked whether he was implying that Mr Barrett was trying to sell the name to HSG, Mr Palmer replied, ‘‘I believe so’’.
Mr Barrett denied those claims yesterday but conceded he said at the meeting ‘‘make me an offer’’ in jest.
He said he had not tried to profit from the move but was upset because ‘‘these people got up and slurred some good friends of mine in the press’’.
‘‘It was supposed to give them the shits and it worked,’’ he said.
Mr Barrett said after reading the explanatory memorandum sent to members he realised the supporters’ club name had not been reserved with ASIC.
‘‘I thought they couldn’t be this stupid, you are kidding me,’’ he said.
‘‘So I sent off the $41 fee – it was $56 with the cost of the bank cheque and registered mail – and got the name until the end of this month.’’
Mr Barrett said he had reserved the company name to ensure the Tinkler camp ‘‘did the right thing’’ with the takeover bid.
‘‘They promised to pay out the $3.5 million in creditors and they promised to install the $10million bank guarantee, neither of which has been done,’’ he said.
‘‘I promised to give them the name if they did what they said they were going to do but they haven’t.’’
Mr Palmer said Mr Barrett was ‘‘crazy’’ to think that his actions could force HSG to pay out the debts of the Knights immediately.
‘‘We’re still legally obliged to do those things and the transaction won’t be complete until we do that,’’ Mr Palmer said.
‘‘That’s at the date of completion. We don’t do it before. Once all the legal documents are completed, we are legally obliged to pay all liabilities and the bank guarantee, and once we do that, the transaction has been completed.’’
Mr Palmer said the naming issue was just delaying the process.
Despite suggestions that the Knights would have to call a second extraordinary general meeting, and ask members to endorse a different company name, outgoing Knights chairman Rob Tew said the impasse could be resolved by special resolution at the Knights’ annual general meeting, in June. Mr Tew, who brokered the deal with Mr Tinkler, described the dispute as ‘‘just another hurdle’’.

Whilst it highlights how petty the patron's trust people are...who forgets to register a business name instrumental to a deal to takeover a business?

perverse

Referee
yep, pretty petty, Mr Barrett. why does he expect TSG to pay the bills before they legally own the club?

aqua_duck

Coach
"make me an offer"- does he think we're stupid enough to believe he said it in jest. I guess the phantom's trust's true colours are showing

Silent Knight

First Grade
From what I've gathered this Stephen Barrett wasn't even contributing funds to the Patrons Trust model, he was just a disgruntled Knights member. Just another backward thinking, anti-change, anti-privatisation old fogey that needs to be wheeled off to a retirement home. This guy would have been one of the 3% who voted against the takeover, here he is at the hugely successful patrons trust information session earlier this year:

1173429.jpg

We don't want change! Let's keep running the club like a chook raffle!

In short, no discounted memberships, no Bennett, no Snowden and (possibly) no Boyd. No f^cking idea.

Latest posts