What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights re-sign Korbin Sims

TooheysNew

Coach
The Newcastle Knights is pleased to announce young prop forward Korbin Sims has agreed to the terms of an additional two-year contract.

Sims joined the Knights in 2011, made his NRL debut in 2013 and has since played 33 games for the Club.

"We are happy to announce Korbin has agreed to re-sign, keeping him at the Club until at least 2017," CEO Matt Gidley said.

"Korbin has shown us the key attributes we are looking for both on and off the field and we know his future is bright here at the Knights."

The 23-year-old from Gerringong believes Newcastle is the right Club for him.

"Being early in the season and just seeing other situations in the game at the moment, I am pleased to have my future secured here at the Knights," Sims said.

"The Knights was the Club that gave me an opportunity five years ago and this is where I want to be playing my footy.

"The Club means a lot to me, I have bought into the Newcastle culture, I enjoy the environment here and I have made a lot of friends."

The youngest of the Sims brothers said the decision to re-sign was simple.

"I worked through this decision with my partner Tarin, we made it together and Newcastle is where we want to be," Sims added.

"With (my brother) Tariq just signing with the Club, it made the process even easier."

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/25591-knights-re-sign-korbin-sims/

Great news. The culture talk is what I like most. I feel we are finally at a positive culture stage. It gives you great bargaining power.

Burns

First Grade
His comments about "other situations" is amazing. I do that our remaining negotiations with Gagai, Sione etc don't become a circus like Manly.

Very happy to have Sims commit long term.

Still Nutty

Juniors
That is a great one to get in the bag at this stage of the year...credit where credit is due - well done to the Knights management:thumn

Jono078

Referee
Anyone actually see his interview? He really gave a positive rap on Rick Stone and possibly a parting shot on Wayne Bennett.

The Gerringong Lions junior, believes the Club possess a positive environment and expects further success to build on the back of Rick Stone leading the Knights as head coach.
“From day one, as soon as Rick Stone was appointed as head coach again I thought, yes, this is going to be the best thing for the Club,” he said.
“We haven’t brought many players to the Club now, so we’re building our strengths from our base, which is our younger lads coming through, which is what I’m looking forward to.
“It’s just been a different vibe around the Club the last couple of months compared to the last couple of years.”

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2015/03/13/decision_to_re_sign_.html

slotmachine

First Grade
Who else plays for Fiji? Anyone who has worked with Stone raves about him.

Kane Evans got a run didn't he? Steal him from the chooks.

Noname36

First Grade
Korbs has always had a really good relationship with Stoney. I remember when we first signed him as a junior he had a fair few clubs after him and he said that after he spoke with Stone the decision was simple for him. I say that would play into Tariq's respect for him too.

I think the Sims boys are going to become somewhat leaders of the side so it's great they have so much respect for the coach and the club. It's a great thing to filter through the entire side.

Noname36

First Grade
Just hope Gags has the same view as Korbin regarding the Bennett years

Difference with Korbs is that he was at the club pre the Bennett years. Gagai on the other hand had played previously under Griffin (who sacked him) so obviously the Bennett years at the Knights were going to be a massive improvement for him. I certainly don't think our culture was toxic or anything during the Bennett years. Most of the players that were brought there during that period (particularly Gagai, Bedsy, Mase, etc) seemed very happy. However the players that had been at the club pre Tinkler/Bennett were the ones that noticed the difference and thought the culture and outlook was better under Stone.

Gagai's obviously also got the family connection to Bennett and he feels he owes him for taking him on after he was sacked so I think he's a bit different to Korbs who came to the Knights for the club not for Bennett.