What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights to fight fire with fire

Parraren

Bench
from AAP

Newcastle coach Michael Hagan today vowed the Knights will match fire with fire when confronted with Parramatta's big forward pack at Parramatta Stadium on Saturday night.

The Eels have bulked up in the off-season, picking up several forwards over 100kg.

But Newcastle has a decent sized pack itself, and Hagan said having former NSW front rower Josh Perry would be a help in ensuring the Knights came out on top in the forward battle.

"Parramatta have a very big forward pack and there's no question that Matt Parsons and Josh Perry up front will help our cause," Hagan said.

"We haven't actually looked too closely at them yet but I think it's just looking at their pack on paper ... they're quite a big football team across the board," he said.

"We need to make sure we're up for that on Saturday night."

The Knights are one of three teams sitting atop the National Rugby League ladder undefeated after two rounds following wins over Penrith and Melbourne.

Hagan said nobody can be assured of a first grade spot each week.

"I had the opportunity to talk to (the players) this morning about the fact that nobody can afford to be comfortable in their position at the moment," Hagan said.

"It's a good position for the football team to be in and we'll assess performance week by week and take it from there."

Hagan also warned his charges would have to watch in-form Parramatta halfback Adam Dykes, who was instrumental in the Eels' 26-18 upset win over Brisbane last weekend.

"He's hit a bit of form in the last week or two and is obviously important to what they do," Hagan said.

"We'll need to defend on him no different than Matt Orford or Craig Gower the week before."

The Colonel

Immortal
I would be more concerned about Woolnough, Simpson, Abraham and Kennedy as opposed to Parsons and Perry. Perry is just a thug and Parsons is one more back injury away from retirement.

fish eel

Immortal
I dont mind Perry.

Looking forward to Webster coming on late in the game and running rings around big guys like perry and parsons.

The Colonel

Immortal
Chicken_Hunter said:
How is perry a thug?

Sorry - wanna be thug.

He tries so hard to be the tough guy and would be better off playing football.

Seriously Woolonough is much better than this guy IMO. I'm glad he didn't want to leave Newcastle.

IMO, perry and parsons have been playing shit this year.. Woolnough, simpson, kennedy and abes are the ones who are holding the forwards together for us.

Belly in Brisvegas said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
How is perry a thug?

Just ask Terry Hill.

You arent serious are you? If you are you are a dead set idiot... That whole eye gouging thing was dismissed and hill made out to be a complete liar.. The judiciary then got perry on something he wasnt even charged for.. :roll:

if you saw it, it is quite evident he didnt eye gouge hill.. Hill is one of the worst rugby league actors ever.. If you beleive any of his antics on the feild then you are a dumbass

Eels Dude

Coach
I have to give credit to Michael Hagan for respecting the opposition, more than I can say for Steve Folkes and his Bulldogs.