What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Manly Post Match Thread.

Doctor

Bench
The real positive was shutting Manly out of the second half after giving them a big sniff early. 8-0 was never going to secure us a trouble-free win. Johns' kicking was off the mark, and they looked a bit overwhelemed. Manly came back strong, and led 14-8 at halftime.

Milton Thaiday's no-try made me think it wasn't going to be our day. It looked pretty clear cut to me, especially in the context of what happened at other stages of the game where the defender was "taken out", accidentally, by the attacker. So, in that sense the decision was puzzling.

Thankfully it didn't matter because we won. It was a good win -- keeping them scoreless in a half of football is fairly impressive. It was a pretty good day out actually -- the sunshine, a packed house, beating the old rivals.

strewth_mate

Bench
We've been pretty good with our second halves recently, just goes to show that a bit of discipline goes a long way.
I thought we were in a bit of trouble when Joey kicked out on the full, and kicked straight to Stewart on I think the 2nd tackle. Tut tut. But yeah, Sunday arvo games are pretty special in Newcastle, it was a great atmosphere.

rourkster

Juniors
Good to see BK riding his cash cow back up the F3 as a loser. He helped us get our last try to Salkeld too. His little dig at Danny when one of the scrums erupted didn't help Manly much.

Just wanted to make mention of Reegan Tanner. Doesn't get much kudos, but I watched him today & couldn't help thinking what a solid performer he's been for us this year. Only Knight to have played every 1st Grade game & he gets through plenty of work. I think he has the ability to sneak up on people & become another Abraham. Also thought Todd Lowrie played well today. Probably had something to do with the fact Tighe started at 5/8th for once.

Any news on the Tighe injury? Hate to lose him, but at least we get Kidley back to replace him if need be.

One last thing with the Thaiday no-try. Why is it we always seem to be on the receiving end of these ridiculously dud video ref decisions? I'm almost positive that if Manly had of scored that try it would have been awarded.

aqua_duck

Coach
I thought Kurt had abit of a shocker out there today, drops alot of ball and especially close to the manly line, he's still very rusty and at times trying way too hard.

perverse

Referee
aqua_duck said:
I thought Kurt had abit of a shocker out there today, drops alot of ball and especially close to the manly line, he's still very rusty and at times trying way too hard.
he's not match fit. give him time, he still has quite limitless potential.
it's matt gidley that has the problems.. he has to wake up in the off season, there are plenty of young backs that are dying for a full-time first grade spot.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Any news on the Tighe injury? Hate to lose him, but at least we get Kidley back to replace him if need be.
From listening to the radio around the ground, they just said that it was a corked thigh. So he might be right to play next week, but if not, he definitely should be right the week after. Mind u it is our rehab thats a bit of a problem, look at Kurt's quad tear, should hav only kept him out for 4 weeks, but took about 12 ..............

B.L.L.G

Retired
What about Steve Matai and the shot he put on the old man?

I thought it was just a good shot.

I dunno about a high shot.

It wasn't a swinging arm. He just dug deep and crunched him.

Did anybody see the Canberra/Bradford Raiders on Saturday night? Oh my god!

Who watched the boring Storm Worriors game? Late in the game did anybody happen to catch this MASSIVE hit on a MLB player?
This Qiwi guy put a shot on a MLB stoem player on the 20meter line and it's the best hit I've seen in ages.

The game yesterday between Knights and Manly....Talk about the walking wounded.

P.S. Did Kidley have a shocker or what? I know it was his first game back but he dropped the ball about 3 times and he's still showing that he's not a team player yet a selfish greedy do it yourselfer!
I don't like him.

Doctor

Bench
Don't dis-count Mullen returning either. With Matt Gidley out, possibly for the season, perhaps Kurt will find himself in the centres. He's running low on match-fitness, and looked a bit sloppy in his first game back yesterday.

Mullen had a pretty sloppy game in Premier League by his standards and reputation. But, if his sternum injury is okay, he ought to be promoted back to first grade.

antonius

Coach
Paper today is saying that Matt Gidley is a chance of playing either this week, or next. Not sure what's going on there, the were saying he was gone for the year.

Doctor

Bench
antonius said:
Paper today is saying that Matt Gidley is a chance of playing either this week, or next. Not sure what's going on there, the were saying he was gone for the year.

He's out for the season.

How do I know? If you consider that Kurt Gidley has been reported to be "back" each week for the last 10 weeks, it's pretty clear that if Matt is due to be back "this week or next", it really means he's back in Round One or Two next year... pending "training accidents" in the off-season.