What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

Nuffy

Bench
Long Post

Before I wrote this note, my first thought was “why bother” as I truly believe that many within our club and supporters don’t really care about performance, success or winning premierships. Working for the Knights or supporting “our local boys” is good enough.

But they don’t grasp the fact that longevity isn’t guaranteed and mediocrity ensures ultimate failure.

The NRL is an entertainment business and it is competing for the hearts and minds of increasingly fickle and short attention span customers. The club has totally missed this point; they assume that we will sign more members, more sponsors and better players whilst missing the finals in 6 of the last 10 years.

In that same decade, the club has won 3 finals games in total whilst Manly has made 4 grand finals.

Why would a family come along to a home game when the team performs like they did against the Broncos? We aren’t trying to win over the rusted on fans, we need the new fans and families, we need the little kids and frankly, for those fans to become rusted on, they need a competitive and successful team.

We haven’t given them that for a decade and losing more home games than you win typically gives the fans a reason to stay away. If something doesn’t change, we are most certainly on the same trajectory as South’s were circa the early 2000’s; playing to 4-5000 fans and getting beat most weeks.

I don’t believe we have a plan to correct the situation and I don’t accept that playing in the NRL is success enough.

Something must change.

I don’t accept that Newcastle isn’t a desirable location, if Townsville and Canberra can sign players, then so can we but I do think that we do a poor job of selling the place and our poor performance as a club is the biggest impediment.

Something must change.

We’ve produced 3 Origin players in a decade with what is claimed to be one of the best junior nurseries, either our junior development is poor or our nursery isn’t what it once was. We need a new philosophy. Local players over imports are a fool’s errand.

Do Melbourne supporter’s care that literally none of their team is from Victoria, when South’s won the comp did any of their care where their players were from, do the Cowboys care where their players come from?

In 1997 did we care that MG and Butts were from Sydney, Robbie O from Queensland and Mad Dog from Sydney? Why is it an issue now?

Build a successful team, that will do more to develop players and RL in the region than the local’s first mentality that we seem to have.

Something must change.

There is a world class university and a world class Hunter Medical Research Institute both of which are happy to have the best and brightest, yet is seems that the Knights only want people who are from Newcastle; it seemed to be one of the key requirements when we signed our current coach. That type of thinking is so limiting and frankly demeaning.

The board, who seem invisible, talked once about reconnecting with the community. It is really simple; give us a team that is competitive, aggressive and plays enterprising footy, that will be all you need.

People will start talking positively again about the Knights, kids will be buzzing on a Monday morning and pestering their parents to take them to a game. Not like now where my mates son got hassled at a Hunter Valley school about supporting the Knights and told how lame the Knights were, the worst possible description in that age group. The little boy of seven doesn’t follow footy anymore because he doesn’t want to get hassled.

A straw poll shows that the Bunnies, Dogs, Broncos and Melbourne are more popular at that Hunter Valley school than the Knights. What is the common theme here?

I recall that in the early days of Melbourne, they knew that they needed a competitive team and success quickly to cement their place in the sporting landscape down there, why would we think otherwise; we need success to re-establish our place in the hearts and minds of Newcastle.

I went to a local Lambton pub before the Saints game and most of the locals I know just laughed when I said I was off to the footy. The most common comment was "why would you waste your time" This in Knights heartland.

Something must change.

We have a novice CEO and an owner who has no interest in whether we are successful or not, I would argue that they need us but really don’t want us to be successful because that would limit opportunities for the more popular clubs in bigger markets.

It’s telling that in the first two weeks of NRL ownership, we were directed to cut costs aggressively and in the first two weeks of NRL ownership of the Titans, they signed Cherry Evans.

We must get away from the NRL and chart our own direction. We need a CEO who can hold their own against the NRL and against the politicking of the other clubs.

Something must change.

South’s established a plan and worked it, it culminated in a premiership. Penrith have publically stated that they have a 5 year plan. The Broncos have an annual expectation of a top 4 berth. What’s our lofty goals, where is our strategic plan and timeline. Do we even have one or is every year just a clean sheet of paper, crossed fingers and hoping for good luck.

Hope isn’t a strategy.

What are our recruitment plans and retention priorities or do we just hand out upgrades to locals and see what happens. It genuinely beggars belief that we are spending the same salary cap as South’s, Broncos, and Easts etc. Our cap management is diabolical, we let marquee players go like Beau Scott and yet can’t sign anyone of note.

Any one of the Bronco’s second stringers would be a permanent starter in our team, the opposite would be said about our first grade team.

Our director of football seems to think that the salary cap management is like nuclear fusion and not easily understand and mastered, some clubs do it very well and we don’t, until we do, we are behind the eight ball.

When the greatest Knight comes out and says that the team is an embarrassment and that the players aren’t putting in, something must be done. When Wayne Bennett enjoys success at every club he has been at except the Knights, then our club is broken.

Something must change.

So I decided that I can be bothered and I will agitate for change, we did it before and it seems that we need to do it again.

So I am asking for help from whoever wants to help. I will put my time and money where my mouth is and I ask you to do the same.

We need to pressure the board, CEO and club to drive change or at least hold them accountable for the state we find ourselves in.

We will do all we can and hopefully we can change the direction of the club, I worry that we are running out of time and chances to turn things around.

We will need a social media and email campaign to raise awareness within the fan base and media to our concerns for the club. It’s not a medium to bag specific players, it is all about the structures of the club, the levels of accountability and the governance of the board and I intend to ask tough questions about the future direction of the club.

We can’t afford to fail.

Please nominate if you wish to help and all constructive suggestions will be incorporated as much as possible.

Let’s do our best and make this happen.

Burns

First Grade
I think the entire forum would be on board, yet what do you do? Take cues from the Jets campaign to oust Stubbins/Tinkler? They seemed to have an effect when they held up that massive banner in the Andrew Johns stand.

ryana87

Juniors
I honestly think starting twitter campaign and, as mentioned above, start taking banners to games promoting it...... It the hashtags (or whatever) gets on TV enough..... Media will start to catch on

We need to think of a catchy hashtag!!

Burns

First Grade
On the other side, whatever happened to the #saveoursaints campaign that St George ran at the start of the year? Could be argued that 'fan campaigns' only exist when team is going poorly, or perceived to go poorly.

I know that the change we all want is much deeper then just a team that wins more than often not. How does a fan campaign maintain legitimacy when/if our form changes and we win a few games?

Jono078

Referee
Great post. I wish we were a pro-active club and that change would happen and we had someone like a Gould with a 5 year plan etc.

As far as the hashtag goes...

#RingGids

Someone who gives enough of a shit about our club that they can get a ticket in place to remove any weeds who get in the way.

macavity

Referee
Need the Herald all over it.... but TBH I think they are just happy Tinky's gone and the club will talk to them again.

I'm happy to put in, just at an absolute loss as to where we start, what we do, or whether we can in fact do anything.

No ballot box anymore.

#mergewiththecentralcoast

Let's face it, that's the future of the Knights. As I have said previously, this club will continue to run at significant losses and needs backing from big business.

Knight Vision

First Grade

Let's face it, that's the future of the Knights. As I have said previously, this club will continue to run at significant losses and needs backing from big business.
That is the entire problem in a nutshell. Other clubs can get talent from outside because of 3rd party deals. Of which we must have very little to none and rely almost totally on the cap. There can be no other explanation for it.

Just look at other clubs like the Roosters, Broncos, Bulldogs etc etc who are always linked to blue chip players coming off contract, and indeed usually get them. Just look at their lineups.

Everything in the world comes down to money- always has and always will.

I don't believe for a moment that Newcastle isnt a desirable location.

Knightmare

Coach
Count me in. If we have a media hashtag in time, I'll go to the Broncos game at Suncorp with a banner displaying said hashtag.

Swarzey

Bench
I was going to write something lengthy but f**k it, can't be bothered. Simply put, everything that needs to happen? The changes, what the club needs to thrive won't be achieved this year and will take time. The new board hasn't been in place for a full year yet, they out of everyone at the club, Midley down to Tyrone Roberts, needs to be given the time and patience. They're taking over a mess left by Tinkler. The sponorships, the third party deals will come, I truly believe that, but not today...not tomorrow...not next week.

What happened at the start of the year with the Save Our Saints campaign was much different with that board and Doust being in their positions for such a long period of time. As much as it sucks, as bleak as it may look, take a look at the Wests Tigers who went through a board overhaul last year and tell me something they've done that's helped steer the club in the right direction? They've done nothing.

It simply takes time.

Joker's Wild

Coach

The best and quite frankly the only real solution

The Illawarra couldnt do it alone and they are closer to Sydney. Get the CC on board and we have a fighting chance

I like to think soon we will be sitting back and realise the pain was all about the future. My issue is who steers that and if we can find a true visionary for once rather than a clueless muppet to ensure we never go backwards after that. The bounce back factor is something we have never had. Some clubs can find the problems fast and correct is n a season or two. We have been waiting ten years. 2005 was a season where we never quit. I would rate it above some seasons where we have made finals simply cos we always had a dig. We finished very strong if I recall despite 14 or 15 straight losses.