What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kochie goes to China NRL goes to Port Adelaide

taipan

Referee
The Adelaide Advertiser 3rd November 2016
NRL targeting new home base at Port Adelaide;
"The NRL is targeting a new home base in the heartland of football at Port Adelaide,as the Sydney Roosters contemplate playing an NRL premiership match in Adelaide next year.
The league has identified a potential SA home base at the site of the Wingfield Royals SAAFL club at Ottoway,in a proposed joint venture with Touch Football SA.
It also has targeted a possible state headquarters at Taperoo.
The body is looking building an office base ,clubrooms, and two state of the art pitches and smaller fields for its SA headquarters.

It also intends to build facilities for spectators at its proposed HQ,with an eye of hosting regular NRL championships.

The NRL's head office in Sydney has confirmed it is locked in negotiations with the Port Adelaide Enfield Council in the hope of securing a first time home for the game in SA.
The NRL will meet members of the council next week to discuss the development.

This comes after the NRL last month announced it would hand states outside its strongholds of NSW and QLD $3m in "seed funding" to support the continued growth and participation of rugby league at all levels over 3 years.

NRL CEO Todd Greenburg announced the establishment of the "national footy facilities fund",which has come at the right time for the game as it looks to lay down a solid foundation for the future in SA."

It's a start ,and I hope it goes ahead to stick it up Koch ,who hates rugby league with a passion.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Let's hope the NRL has a plan to put a team in Adelaide in time for the juniors there when they grow out of the junior grades.

Unlikely, but hey it's a nice dream.

wain

Juniors
Wow, outstanding. I live in Adelaide but hadn't heard this yet. I think SA is one state where the Nrl-Touch partnership works more in favour of the Nrl, as touch has a pretty good following but has been really seperate to Nrl. Also prob the only Aus state where Union is bigger than league.
We need a team to commit to one game a year for a few years and actually stick with it.
Then one day, hopefully in my lifetime the Southern Lighthorsemen (that's my suggestion) will join the NRL.

Latest posts