What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Runner

Juniors
Sloan will not be playing first grade the rest of this year I don't think. Defence is the key in these remaining games and he just doesn't have that in him unfortunately. If Matt Feagai was playing in the Cup game, I feel he would have been able to stop some of the tries scored by the Panthers.
I have been a Sloan fan but he should’ve stopped both of those tries today instead of being pushed off so easily

TheRev

Coach
Frustrating cause we did enough to win.. sliding doors if Bird had gone over in the 1st.. but I mean there were heaps of moments.. almost everything had to go wrong to lose it.

We had quite a few sets on their line until the dieing seconds also.. we just couldnt ice the game.. needed someone to support Hamish Stewart near the end too, the only guy with fresh legs was poking his head through.

Dragon David

First Grade
Penrith certainly have woken up to how slow we are out wide. We desperately need some fast backs in our club.

obviously, some silly errors didn’t help either and some poor defence.
It is so puzzling that for several seasons we haven't had speed as our weapon besides other things to help us to win games. I think it was Dino who said we need speed and we do in many positions and in all of the grades. Speed to attack and speed to defend.

I think that if the NRL had a running competition involving ALL of the players for each position from fullback to hooker, I am sure our overall result would be an embarrassment.

TheRev

Coach
Tamale was rly quiet today, hes normally busting tackles like noones business.. but tbf I think having Bird/Rava on the other wing was our go to.. and they were rly dangerous tbf.. though a couple of dud spots also.

Loved what LKT did in the first half and hes always dangerous.. but end of the day we basically didnt score points in that 2nd half, and we had heaps of opportunities... the only try came off a lucky 20m tap off our own tryline where Sloan got a headstart and was chased down but just slid into the ingoal.. tbf we were basically shut out in the 2nd. Noone had energy to threaten.

Runner

Juniors
It is so puzzling that for several seasons we haven't had speed as our weapon besides other things to help us to win games. I think it was Dino who said we need speed and we do in many positions and in all of the grades. Speed to attack and speed to defend.

I think that if the NRL had a running competition involving ALL of the players for each position from fullback to hooker, I am sure our overall result would be an embarrassment.
You have made a really good point. Speed of course is vital in attack but it is also vital to make those defensive tackles. We get done for speed in defence time and time again out wide obviously in NRL especially.

Runner

Juniors
Tamale was rly quiet today, hes normally busting tackles like noones business.. but tbf I think having Bird/Rava on the other wing was our go to.. and they were rly dangerous tbf.. though a couple of dud spots also.

Loved what LKT did in the first half and hes always dangerous.. but end of the day we basically didnt score points in that 2nd half, and we had heaps of opportunities... the only try came off a lucky 20m tap off our own tryline where Sloan got a headstart and was chased down but just slid into the ingoal.. tbf we were basically shut out in the 2nd. Noone had energy to threaten.
Tamale fell for the big dummy very badly in the try that put Penrith in the lead.

TheRev

Coach
I mean we defended their width really well early on.. like we were really immense.. as the game wore on though we couldnt keep it up.. it was more though that the ball would spill loose from an error.. and if they pick it up.. we cant really do anything about it.. we did chase down like quite a few times.. but eventually that huge game changing momentum takes a toll.. tbf a lot of their tries were initiated while we were attacking their line...

The one that Ravalawa missed though was just dumb.. there was plenty of blokes on the inside to handle the centre.. but he decided to go for him anyway and left the unmarked winger.. wasnt a speed issue.

Dragon David

First Grade
only thing they should be seeing is plane tickets to the UK, they actually stink up the reserves which takes some real effort to do…
Yes, so often when demoted first graders end up in a lower grade, they stuff up the works. The "usual" lower grader thinks ahh Sloanie is playing in our side today, he should do alright for us. Lets let him do some work and we sit back and see how its done. Yeah right.

Runner

Juniors
I mean we defended their width really well early on.. like we were really immense.. as the game wore on though we couldnt keep it up.. it was more though that the ball would spill loose from an error.. and if they pick it up.. we cant really do anything about it.. we did chase down like quite a few times.. but eventually that huge game changing momentum takes a toll.. tbf a lot of their tries were initiated while we were attacking their line...

The one that Ravalawa missed though was just dumb.. there was plenty of blokes on the inside to handle the centre.. but he decided to go for him anyway and left the unmarked winger.. wasnt a speed issue.
Yes defence was good early on especially on our line. I agree some of Rava’s defensive reads were shocking and the breaks weren’t solely due to lack of speed.

TheRev

Coach
I thought Sloan wasnt kicking stones.. he was trying (especially early).. its just what ive seen last time he spent time in cup.. hes the same guy.. the same things that hold him back in 1sts hold him back here.. even though he should in theory dominate at this level...

Ravalawa I mean his carries r good.. he went for some of his trademark sideline "no-right-to-go-there" tries.. and every time he got put into touch basically.. it just doesnt seem to work for him anymore.. either hes not as strong as he used to be.. or the defence is reading him better.. dunno.. he also wasnt kicking stones though.. hes the same guy we see in 1st grade.. Bird sort of the same really trying, couple of good and coupla bad moments.. 1 silly penalty..

Probably theyre all a lil guilty of a few too many hero plays.. but I mean someone has to generate points..

Latest posts