What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kumuls Getting Fired Up

nadera78

Juniors
Taken from www.thenational.com.pg

WC disrespect *Lam laments PNG Kumuls’ ‘pool of death’ *
By DAVID KAPI
EMOTIONS were frayed last night as the PNG Telikom Kumuls reiterated their disappointment with Rugby League World Cup organisers over their “unfair draw”.
On the eve on their departure for the event, a tearful Adrian Lam said the Kumuls were “treated with disrespect” by the organisers, who slotted PNG against the superpowers of the sport – Australia, New Zealand and England.
But that isn’t going to derail the spirit of the PNG team, he said.
“I am confident the Kumuls will fight till the end,” Lam said.
“We (PNG) were never given a chance when we were thrown into the ‘pool of death’.
“The organisers gave us a world of hurdles to climb and were being disrespectful. We won’t be broken, however. We will only get stronger and play the game we love with pride,” the emotionally charged coach said during the farewell reception at the Lamana Gold Club last night.
“I am asking from the bottom of my heart for the Kumuls to understand that special things come out of adversity and we will turn this into a positive and play for the country,” Lam added.
If there was any motivation and inspiring words needed to lift the team, Lam’s emotional speech was it.
Kumuls’ World Cup leaders, captain John Wilshere and veteran campaigner Stanly Gene, did not hide that fact.
“Adrian (Lam) is one of the most passionate people you could meet in rugby league,” Wilshere said.
“Certainly he can ignite passion in players. I am sure the boys will be fired up for the event. He certainly brings the best out of players. The boys will play for their country, Adrian (Lam) and for ourselves,” Wilshere said.

“I have played with him (Lam) and he gives his best. He stirs that passion in the team. The road we are taking is a tough one, but I am sure I for one will give it all I have. It’s always a pleasure to represent PNG,” Gene said.
The Hull Kingston Rovers utility said England coach Tony Smith was a very good coach and the Englishmen had prepared well.
Gene said the Kumuls were prepared and looking forward to the first clash in Townsville on Oct 25.
The Kumuls will leave for Cairns this morning.

nadera78

Juniors
taken from www.thenational.com.pg

Coastal village toast Moore
By PETER PUSAL
DEBUTANT Kumul winger David Moore has received well wishes and praise from his native Tubuseria village for being named in the PNG Kumul squad to the Rugby League World Cup later this month in Australia.
Tubuseria sports council president Michael Ligo told The National yesterday that he and the council and the whole village were extremely proud to hear of the Moore’s selection in the Kumul squad.
“We are so proud and excited for David because he has really boosted the Tubuseria name and given motivation to the young men in our village to play rugby league,” Ligo said.
“We haven’t had a home-bred Kumul from Tubuseria since Asi Winnie in the late 1970s, so David’s selection is something we are very proud of,” Ligo said of the significance of Moore’s inclusion in the Kumul squad.
Ligo lamented that the number of Papuans in the Kumuls colours had been low throughout the last decade and was excited about the lift in motivation young players in the region would take from Moore’s selection.
“For a long time now, the national team had been dominated by players from the Highlands and NGI.
“So it ias very pleasing to have a local boy from Central to get a spot,” he added.
Moore will have big shoes to fill having unseated incumbent Kumul winger and crowd favourite Michael Mark, whom selectors surprisingly left out of the 24-man squad.
Moore, 19, who was born in Port Moresby and raised in Tubuseria, left for Brisbane to complete his education and is now a student at Griffith University on the Gold Coast, while a member of the Gold Coast Titans Toyota Cup squad.
Ligo said the success of Moore during the World Cup would be closely followed by the Tubuseria people and he had no doubt that Moore would play well in the Kumul jumper and make both his village and country proud.

I reckon its stories like that second one that proves the decision to put PNG in the highest profile pool in the WC is a good one.

Calixte

First Grade
Of course he is bloody right.

I hope they stitch up one of the big 3 in a game.

PNG will go bananas.

f**king RLIF...

nadera78

Juniors
If the Kiwis lose against Tonga (which is possible) and then against Australia (which is likely) and England (which, again, is likely) then I think they will implode and PNG will beat them and make the semi-finals.

And that would be awesome!

roopy

Referee
Png arn't going to win the cup, so i'd say three hard games against the best in the world is going to be a great learning experience for the team.
It might be nice for them to get an easier game, but they'll certainly all take a lot back to PNG from the games.

screeny

Bench
Nadera's rationale is sound, but ultimately you're all deluded.

How good is this WC though? Last time Fiji were a joke, now they're serious, and the same can be said for many nations. f**king ace. I can't wait. Woe betide my satellite provider if I get a sh*t reception.

Calixte

First Grade
I agree.

PNG can hardly be expected to threaten the top 3 with the lack of regular competition they are given at Test level.

What this RLWC will show, hopefully, is the excellent progress that has been made by the game at international level without any sophistication in so far as the planning and organisation of the international game is concerned.

My hope is that it will encourage the powers that be to start treating the tournament with the proper respect from the next one in 2013...

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Nadera's rationale is sound, but ultimately you're all deluded.

How good is this WC though? Last time Fiji were a joke, now they're serious, and the same can be said for many nations. f**king ace. I can't wait. Woe betide my satellite provider if I get a sh*t reception.

How were Fiji a joke at the last World Cup?

roughyedspud

Coach
back to PNG

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyle...rleague/08/10/16/RUGBYL_Papua_New_Guinea.html

Papua New Guinea's preparations for their opening World Cup match against England were thrown into disarray by red tape which left half their squad stranded in Port Moresby.
Delays with visas meant that 11 of the 24 players, along with two members of their backroom staff, had to stay behind while the remaining officials and 13 players were allowed to leave the country and arrived in Cairns on Thursday.
With Friday's flight from Port Moresby fully booked, it is likely to be Saturday before the squad can be reunited in northern Queensland.
The Kumuls will then relocate to Townsville next Monday to finish their preparations for the match against England on Saturday week.

OOOOOpppppppppsssssss :lol:

marv

Juniors
Hey, we had better watch out for the PNG ambush in Townsville.............. If they can all get to the ground together and on time :roll:

Calixte

First Grade
PNG is one country where we can count on some assistance to get the players here.

Sir Michael???

(Huge fan of TGG...)

Help.... :D

Calixte

First Grade
caine? whats he gonna do? , he can't even get gold out of italy let alone papuans out of new guinea.............;-)

He'd be useful as in the original "Get Carter"...*

* talk about a sh*t remake compared to the original :lol:

** (sorry re- sidetrack)

If the Kiwis lose against Tonga (which is possible) and then against Australia (which is likely) and England (which, again, is likely) then I think they will implode and PNG will beat them and make the semi-finals.

And that would be awesome!

Can't see it myself. The team most likely to implode are the unbackable favourites. Whoever plays Aussie in the semi and final will have absolutely nothing to lose while the Aussies will have everything to lose.