What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Mann-staying or going ?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I thought the reason they cut reserve grade and third grade was to cut expenses. It would cost a lot to transport 3 full teams to locations such as NZ, Nth Qld etc. It would also cost a lot to have them all contracted to the club.

Frank you are correct it was to do with money.
Also they want the q cup to stay strong so that is why broncos cows and storms feeder clubs are in it.
It would also save costs as you say

Frank Facer

First Grade
Rumour is that Brown wants Mann as the first choice hooker, even though he has never played hooker.
During last season, I did suggest the idea of Mann coming off the bench and playing hooker for us. It was only a suggestion. I will be interested to see how he goes, if he does get a run there.

getsmarty

Immortal
TOOHEY'S NEWS | Knights refuse to swap Shaun Kenny-Dowall for Dragons utility Kurt Mann
  • Local Sport
    r0_864_4251_3191_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Shaun Kenny-Dowall

• Shaun Kenny-Dowall is the highest profile Newcastle Knights player off contract at the end of next season.

But while his longer term future is yet to be decided, his immediate value to the club was borne out earlier this week when coach Nathan Brown knocked back an approach for the big winger from a rival club.

St George Illawarra officials made overtures to the Knights about an immediate trade involving Kenny-Dowall and Dragons utility and Newcastle recruitment target Kurt Mann.

Brown wants Mann at the club to play hooker next season but wasn’t about to let SKD go to make it happen.

The coach did speak to his winger about it and was told he didn’t want to leave Newcastle anyway. Case closed.

While he cops plenty of stick whenever he makes the odd clanger, SKD didn’t miss a game last season and by our reckoning, was in the top five best players for the Knights during the season.

But just because the trade didn’t happen doesn’t mean the club is resigned to missing out on Mann.

The inside word is the Knights remain cautiously optimistic of signing him to a three year deal but it just might take a little longer now that the Jarryd Hayne negotiations with the Dragons are dead and they are still looking for another outside back.

Mann wants a release to rejoin the Knights, the club he left as a teenager a few years ago when Melbourne came knocking.

He is said to be keen to make a fulltime switch to hooker and the indication was the Dragons were unlikely to stand in his way if he got a longer term offer elsewhere to secure his future provided they could find a replacement.

• https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...s-reject-dragons-bid-for-player-swap/?cs=7580

Crush

Coach
Has Mann played much hooker?
I know plenty on here have had their say of where they feel Manns best position is but don't remember too many saying hooker?

BLM01

First Grade
SKD?..Thank god. Why even look at him. He has as many brain snaps and drop balls a game as he does surnames. I would take Mann over him every day
I am with POSSM for a second in bagging Millward for even entertaining this idea...WTF are they looking at o_O
Would'nt it be good if every decision the club made....had to be agreed by majority vote of all forum contributors. We would KIBOSH just about everything they come up with.

Como Connection

First Grade
SKD?..Thank god. Why even look at him. He has as many brain snaps and drop balls a game as he does surnames. I would take Mann over him every day
I am with POSSM for a second in bagging Millward for even entertaining this idea...WTF are they looking at o_O
Would'nt it be good if every decision the club made....had to be agreed by majority vote of all forum contributors. We would KIBOSH just about everything they come up with.
Bet it was Mary's idea.
Fits his pattern of thinking.
CC

True_Believer

Juniors
Absolutely fits the McGregor profile of wanted players:
Played lots of NRL.....tick
Veteran status......tick
Dont have to coach said player.....tick
Can form part of "old guard".....tick
Is a Nighty clone......tick

There were suggestions that Mary was adamant that Hayne be signed so this fits with that same train of thought. As has been mentioned, it highlights deficiencies in his coaching ability. And it reeks of desperation.

It can work in some circumstances (ie Bennett coming to the club and recruiting older players), but you have to have the right players in the right positions. In my opinion, wingers don't fit into this category. So the likes of Hayne, SKD, Morris etc shouldn't even be looked at.

ColbyDaCheesy

Juniors
Should of known better. Dragons try to take the best of them...go for Ponga forget their soon to be offcuts. After Klemmer for 1.15 mill a year they would be bursting the cap by now. Geez I would even have taken Ross or Watson over SKD

Nowhere near it

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

SKD to the Dragons? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Let's look at his background.
Ex Rorters player.
Ex Rorters grub.
Did l mention he was an ex Rorters player and grub?

Dodged another bullet there.

I think the forum would discuss it better than the club, though.
Look at the number of pages to the Hayne thread.
Yes, we members will thrash out anything and everything as well as not letting the truth get in the way of a good story, ha!