What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lafai Defense is like the lotteries

LINESPEED

Juniors
Once again he runs in to try and tackle the insode runner that Mann had covered and left his man unmarked. Thank god for Pereroa.

Piss off Lafai.

Yeah mate - I'd've hooked Laughy at some stage to give Field a run.

Move Mann to centre & Field to 5/8.

You gotta applaud Bellyache - he was positive about the experience & gametime his youngsters were getting - he showed confidence in them.

Mary was shit scared, so Jai gets splinters.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Guys watch the game again or any game and see he always pushes in to the inside runner. Looks good when he tackles the insider runner. Opposition coaches will target him with runners and a long pass out for a 2 on 1 with our winger.

He has been doing this ever since he came to the dragons, he needs to not leave his man.

Also, one game where he was not greatly exposed does not close the argument. Next week, if he does this they will score tries down his side with Johnson running and trying to attack him in, before passing and creating an overlap.

You need to trust your inner defender and get the sliding defense to help out.

Old Timer

Coach
Guys watch the game again or any game and see he always pushes in to the inside runner. Looks good when he tackles the insider runner. Opposition coaches will target him with runners and a long pass out for a 2 on 1 with our winger.

He has been doing this ever since he came to the dragons, he needs to not leave his man.

Also, one game where he was not greatly exposed does not close the argument. Next week, if he does this they will score tries down his side with Johnson running and trying to attack him in, before passing and creating an overlap.

Excellent summation and he has been blessed that he has had Widdop inside him cleaning up his f**k ups especially on the touch line.
Widdop unfortunately gets credited with a lot of missed tackles whilst doing the work of 2 men due to Lafai's insistence to come in on the inside man.
Lafai is ok 1 on 1 one head on but he makes too many lateral charges which creates gaps out wide.
If the opposition don't score on that play they often do on the ensuing play due to people having to cover the outside because of his mis reads.

JDHD

Juniors
Excellent summation and he has been blessed that he has had Widdop inside him cleaning up his f**k ups especially on the touch line.
Widdop unfortunately gets credited with a lot of missed tackles whilst doing the work of 2 men due to Lafai's insistence to come in on the inside man.
Lafai is ok 1 on 1 one head on but he makes too many lateral charges which creates gaps out wide.
If the opposition don't score on that play they often do on the ensuing play due to people having to cover the outside because of his mis reads.

Lafai’s defence gives me conniptions. That Lomax was better defensively than him in his first game speak volumes.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

You gotta applaud Bellyache - he was positive about the experience & gametime his youngsters were getting - he showed confidence in them.

Yep and thats the difference between a coach and an imposter.....in case anyone hasnt noticed we have the latter

The Damo

Juniors

How about averaged over 24 games?
He’s ranked around 40th for tries conceded in the centres, and about 50th for line breaks conceded. And near 60th for missed tackles.
He does sometimes misread and take the wrong attacker that’s true. But it’s very hard to reconcile the notion he’s a “lottery” with the above record over an entire season.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
How about averaged over 24 games?
He’s ranked around 40th for tries conceded in the centres, and about 50th for line breaks conceded. And near 60th for missed tackles.
He does sometimes misread and take the wrong attacker that’s true. But it’s very hard to reconcile the notion he’s a “lottery” with the above record over an entire season.

I;m always dubious with stats. if he flies out of the line or pushes in on an inside runner - are we sure that other defenders are not getting the black mark for try conceded.

Even so, we are now about to play finals and coaches like Bellamy will target his defense knowing that he panics and rushes in. I would have my right edge forward start outside Lafai, running in and have an inside sweep pushing out to the sideline. This would either get Lafai rushing in to try and stop the movement.

The Damo

Juniors
T
I;m always dubious with stats. if he flies out of the line or pushes in on an inside runner - are we sure that other defenders are not getting the black mark for try conceded.

Even so, we are now about to play finals and coaches like Bellamy will target his defense knowing that he panics and rushes in. I would have my right edge forward start outside Lafai, running in and have an inside sweep pushing out to the sideline. This would either get Lafai rushing in to try and stop the movement.
They can be dubious I agree, it’s not definitive. But the companies that compile the stats do try to include those misreads in the count. If a centre flies in and leaves his winger facing 2 players and misses the tackle, the try concede should go to the centre. And over the course of 24 games it’s much less likely lots of those will be mistakes.

gitano

Juniors

We more employ an up and in, of which Lafai is a huge part. The defensive line is more 3 dimensional than most think

My man Gasnier

Juniors

We would've lost if you were in charge then. Field couldn't tackle a steak sandwich!

giboz71

First Grade
Lafai. Defense is OK. Attack is weak.
We can do better than him surely.

Nailed it.

Defence isn’t his issue and in fact he’s quite skillfull for a centre.

But the fact as, he’s slow as f##k and has been for years and doesn’t threaten the defence at all.

When you look at the centres of all the top sides, Lafai and Aitken come a distant last.

Mann, Herbert and Lomax would be better options surely.