What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LANG Park

Well, the controversy in Queensland today centres around Lang Park. Suncorp have told the Bronco's Players and Officials that if they refer to it as Lang Park and not Suncorp [Midway] Stadium they are going to be fined $1000.00 each time.

LANG PARK LANG PARK LANG PARK - Well, I've said Lang Park 7 times now. I'll do community service instead of paying the $7,000 fine thanks.

I am also going out to buy a T and have LANG PARK embroided on it.

Seriously, how on earth can they 'impose' this fine. And if they 'tried' can you imagine Gordy in the Brisbane Supreme Court facing the 'charges'. I do understand that sponsors pay money yahdah yahdah yahdah, but this is a complete farce.

Lang Park is steeped in history and I don't know of any Queenslander who refers to it as anything else. What a bunch of buffheads.

Justme

Juniors
I think you'll find that as the Broncos rent it they have to abide by the conditions of the sponsorship contract. They can't call it Lang Park but everyone else, not coverd by the contract, including the media, can call it what they like.

Justme

Juniors
Tamazoid said:
This is pathetic. As if they actually have the power to impose the fine.
As it was most likely a condition of the lease I'm sure they actually do have the power to impose the fine, on the Broncos that is.

Blade

Juniors
Justme said:
Tamazoid said:
As it was most likely a condition of the lease I'm sure they actually do have the power to impose the fine, on the Broncos that is.

I find this hard to comprehend.

How can a lease have conditions where persons are'nt allowed to mention something?

Absurd!

midas

Juniors
Suncorp have obviously paid hansomely for the naming rights only to have the moronic media and boofheaded players and officials trying to resurrect the Lang Park mystique.Wake up guys it,s a brand new day,a brand new ground and a brand new name.
We the public can call it whatever we like but players and officials benefitting from Suncorps generosity should toe the line and make at least some pretence at being professionals.

Justme

Juniors
Blade said:
Justme said:
Tamazoid said:

I find this hard to comprehend.

How can a lease have conditions where persons are'nt allowed to mention something?

Absurd!

Not so, most naming rights include a clause stipulating what the stadium is to be called by the signatories of the agreement, eg Telstra Stadium, Marathon Stadium and of course Suncorp Stadium. They can't enforce it against the public but they most certainly can against the beneficiaries of the sponsorship, in this case the Broncos.

You can call it Lang Park or any other name you want but the Broncos can't as they are party to the agreement. And rightly so else what would be the point of paying over big dollars to secure naming rights.