What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last Night: GC v CC

Happy Gilmore

Juniors
I went to the Newcastle/Sharks game at Gosford last night, the same thing I did the Saturday before. And I must say I'm disappointed, not for the crowd, but the stadium itself. I spent 20 bucks last night and another 20 on beers, and thats too much for a trial match, no way you should spend that much. Not even for an NRL game. Very disappointed. The NRL should do something about that. Dont get me wrong its a great stadium to watch football, but geez they better lift their game.

If I was to vote on a 16th team, I'd say Gold Coast. If only it the same sort of stadium of Express Advocate.

Aeetee

Juniors
dodge said:
I love how, because you're a GC shipper, you automatically assume that the CC won't embrace it's own team.

Who offer nothing to the NRL? Now you're just being a downright asshole.

The Bears have withdrawn from the Coast until such time the NRL asks for submissions again in which case Singo will be back to support their cause.

Isn't Singo bankrupt :?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol:

Someone forgot who Singo is... it'll take something big to send our man Singo bankrupt :D

Knightmare

Coach
coldhardbitch said:
I contrast to the Central Coast (who offer nothing to the NRL). What sort of promotion did u guys have for the bears?

Was there bears merchansdise, and chants and celebrity promos? Did there seem to be any sort of push for the Bears? Did the Bears promote themselves in pre-match entertainment?

This is the one thing I hate about the Gold Coast bid- the arrogance of it's bandwagon supporters who have come from NOWHERER in the last year and somehow think they have a God-given right to another team. Try waiting for FIVE years for a team, being constantly knocked back, and then you might understand why Central Coast people are a tad cynical that the NRL is fair dinkum about expansion. By the way, the Central Coast offers the third largest junior league base in NSW, but of course all those kids playing League don't matter, do they? :roll:
Idiot. Most Gold Coast bid supporters didn't even follow the Seagulls or the Chargers....

DIEHARD

----
Knightmare said:
This is the one thing I hate about the Gold Coast bid- the arrogance of it's bandwagon supporters who have come from NOWHERER in the last year and somehow think they have a God-given right to another team. Try waiting for FIVE years for a team, being constantly knocked back, and then you might understand why Central Coast people are a tad cynical that the NRL is fair dinkum about expansion. By the way, the Central Coast offers the third largest junior league base in NSW, but of course all those kids playing League don't matter, do they? :roll:
Idiot. Most Gold Coast bid supporters didn't even follow the Seagulls or the Chargers....

Try being a traditional rugby league fan, having your teams sacrificed by the ARL to appease Super League, so Sydney teams could continue. Try having the Broncos as your own representative of RL and only choice for a local team.

Try living in a state with a proud RL history going back to 1907, but a history that is never recongnised, watching the competition and clubs die and then having to endure being disgracefully under represented with only two franchises owned by NEWS in the national competition.

Try only having two QLD based teams to stock the Maroons with players, praying every year that we again have the X factor to beat the Blues because we don't have the troops.

Try having to put up with idiot fans from NSW calling anyone looking forward to supporting the Dolphins a band wagoner, when they have been waiting years for an alternative to the Broncos. NSW fans that don't give a shit about the big picture and the fact that your damned state already has 10 teams and does not need 11.

And idiots saying the Central Coast have been trying to get in for years and the Gold Coast came out of no where. Well as soon as the Chargers were disgracefully shut down, the fight was on to one day bring them back. But the Gold Coast bid knew that patience was a virtue so they slowly planned and gained momentum. The bid gets stronger every day, where as the Central Coast one falters.

Instead the Central Coast bid huffed and puffed but ran out of hype and resolve half way through the race.

Try being a rugby league fan and watching Union and AFL slowly but surely erode rugby league's market share in Queensland. Seeing five year old kids run around in Lions jerseys when they should be wearing rugby league jerseys. No region has suffered more because of Super League.

This transcends which bid is better, which undeniably is the Dolphins. People need to look at the big picture. The battle between AFL and NRL, the battle to be nationally relevant, to keep Origin competitive and the battle for dominance in Queensland.

The Dolphins, Broncos and Cowboys can give the AFL black eyes and have them running out of Queensland with their tail between their legs, whining all the way back to Melbourne.

We have already given the AFL so many free shots, basically hand delivering them the state of Queensland through our neglect and stupidity. If we don't move on the Gold Coast, the AFL will. With so many Melbourne based teams on deaths door and the AFL withe money and the foresight to support a team that relocates, the prospect of a relocated team to the Gold Coast is a reality. If we once again waste another opportunity, the AFL will look like the white knight and we will be left with a cancer in QLD that we can't remove. With so many Victorians in SEQLD and the Gold Coast, they can really be a trojan horse for the AFL.

But if the NRL move before, we will spoil their party.

Adding the Dolphins will send a message that the NRL is once again expanding and healing old wounds, that it is committed to Queensland, that it is willing to counter attack AFL raids on Queensland heartlands. The Dolphins will bring with them a feel good vibe, fantastic crowds and grow fantastic players ready to take on the Blues for the Maroons. It will send a signal to the AFL that it is game on for the battle for Queensland.

Bringing in a team that isn't even on the field yet but seems to bring depressing story after depressing story. The last thing we need is to be showing the nation that all the NRL cares about is NSW by giving them ANOTHER team. At best they will bring in crowds that wont impress, at worst they will bring in crowds that will disgrace and embarrass the NRL.

It would be a disaster.

And god forbid if the team isn't successful on the field, because I think the people of Central Coast will have the shortest patience with them.

The Dolphins bring the promise of big crowds that will lift the NRL average and bring with them sell out derbies with the Broncos and Cowboys.

Razor

Coach
ry waiting for FIVE years for a team, being constantly knocked back, and then you might understand why Central Coast people are a tad cynical that the NRL is fair dinkum about expansion

Central Coast had a team. No one turned up, so they had to stop playing there. What makes you think crowds will turn up this time around? Especially since the trial crowds are very poor.

And idiots saying the Central Coast have been trying to get in for years and the Gold Coast came out of no where. Well as soon as the Chargers were disgracefully shut down, the fight was on to one day bring them back.

Yes 2 months after the most profitable team in the League, The Chargers, were kicked out, the Gold Coast bid team was formed to get another team from the Gold Coast into the NRL. Just 2 months later, that's all.

Iafeta

Referee
Razor said:
ry waiting for FIVE years for a team, being constantly knocked back, and then you might understand why Central Coast people are a tad cynical that the NRL is fair dinkum about expansion

Central Coast had a team. No one turned up, so they had to stop playing there. What makes you think crowds will turn up this time around? Especially since the trial crowds are very poor.

And idiots saying the Central Coast have been trying to get in for years and the Gold Coast came out of no where. Well as soon as the Chargers were disgracefully shut down, the fight was on to one day bring them back.

Yes 2 months after the most profitable team in the League, The Chargers, were kicked out, the Gold Coast bid team was formed to get another team from the Gold Coast into the NRL. Just 2 months later, that's all.

Aren't facts a b!tch? :lol:

Gold Coast by the length of the Pacific Highway. It'd be treason to have Central Coast in ahead of them. Infact, Gold Coast by the length of the Pacific Highway, Orcas second by the length of the Mississipi River, then perhaps Central Coast.

groggo

Juniors
we went to the shark v knights did anyone notice the huge amount of moths or insects in the air around the ground it was like something was dead there

in all honesty graham park has always been a great ground to watch footy at but the nazis security up there is a joke

they get on our backs about flags but the little pack of bogans that reside in the ground on game day need policing

the verbal abuse is lovely and quite amusing (because all of it was pathetic)

20 bucks for a trial game is BS as well

notice the knights lost the game but if ya looked in all the rags afterwards all it was JOEY JOEY Joey

should of read BARGE ASS BARGE ASS LOLOLOL :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

bender

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
Adding the Dolphins will send a message that the NRL is once again expanding and healing old wounds, that it is committed to Queensland, that it is willing to counter attack AFL raids on Queensland heartlands. The Dolphins will bring with them a feel good vibe, fantastic crowds and grow fantastic players ready to take on the Blues for the Maroons. It will send a signal to the AFL that it is game on for the battle for Queensland.

Diehard, i agree with everything you say, except for this. I believe that the introduction of the Gold coast will virtually kill off any realistic hope that a Gold Coast AFL side would be succesfull and certainly to the extent of an RL side. Also, the boost it would give the game in Brisbane, combined with the anticipated eventual end of the lions AFL domination, I would expect to end any AFL chance has got to become the premier code in SE Qld (not that i necessarilly think that they have a chance).

C.P

Juniors
First off im in favour of the GC bid, the original GC teams were run into the ground and there seems to be a lot more knowhow and effort going into this shot, and i think SE Qld needs another team (a) to share the monopoly enjoyed by the Broncs and (b) fight the AFL popularity in the region. One thing that struck me reading the posts though was I havent seen anyone mention it in so far but im sure i saw something recently that one of the Qld Cup sides???(could be wrong on the comp) has the Dolphins name and was going to go to court to stop the GC bid using it if they are accepted in the NRL. That would make all that merchandise being sold on the weekend outdated pretty quick wouldnt it? #-o

DIEHARD

----
bender said:
Diehard, i agree with everything you say, except for this. I believe that the introduction of the Gold coast will virtually kill off any realistic hope that a Gold Coast AFL side would be succesfull and certainly to the extent of an RL side. Also, the boost it would give the game in Brisbane, combined with the anticipated eventual end of the lions AFL domination, I would expect to end any AFL chance has got to become the premier code in SE Qld (not that i necessarilly think that they have a chance).

Yea I agree with that as well.

But a problem is if AFL gets in there first and steals our thunder. They have no chance if an NRL and AFL team go head to head.

C.P

Juniors
Thanks Diehard knew i wasnt imagining things.
Redcliffe certainly seem fired up over the issue from the looks of it i doubt theyd back down to accept a $10K p.a feeder club arrangement. GC would probably get up in a court battle though as was pointed out there is no exclusive right to the dolphin and its not like the GC Dolphins would be in direct competition with the existing Redcliffe

DIEHARD

----
It is a shame the entire episode.

My first preference was Gold Coast Gladiators. Dolphins was all too obvious, the perfect mascot for a club representing the holiday capital, especially with Sea World down the road.

But the link to Redcliffe was too much for me to support it fully. But Redcliffe have had years to state if they one day intend to be part of the NRL. I see them as being different markets. There are double ups all over the place. Burleigh and Norths. Wests and Brisbane Easts. Tweed and Wynnum, both of which compete against each other in the Queensland Cup. And there hasn't been any trouble.

I don't think anyone has exclusive right over a Dolphin. And in court Redcliffe would lose. But saying the club can be bought off with a measly $10,000 to become 2nd string feeder to the BIG Dolphins from the Gold Coast has to insult them.

I hope they sort it out soon. We don't need court cases pending or in progress when the Gold Coast eventually take to the field.

C.P said:
Redcliffe certainly seem fired up over the issue

I don't blame them and understand their fury.

nqboy

First Grade
DIEHARD said:
Try being a traditional rugby league fan, having your teams sacrificed by the ARL to appease Super League, so Sydney teams could continue. Try having the Broncos as your own representative of RL and only choice for a local team.

Try living in a state with a proud RL history going back to 1907, but a history that is never recongnised, watching the competition and clubs die and then having to endure being disgracefully under represented with only two franchises owned by NEWS in the national competition.

Try only having two QLD based teams to stock the Maroons with players, praying every year that we again have the X factor to beat the Blues because we don't have the troops.

Try having to put up with idiot fans from NSW calling anyone looking forward to supporting the Dolphins a band wagoner, when they have been waiting years for an alternative to the Broncos. NSW fans that don't give a sh*t about the big picture and the fact that your damned state already has 10 teams and does not need 11.

And idiots saying the Central Coast have been trying to get in for years and the Gold Coast came out of no where. Well as soon as the Chargers were disgracefully shut down, the fight was on to one day bring them back. But the Gold Coast bid knew that patience was a virtue so they slowly planned and gained momentum. The bid gets stronger every day, where as the Central Coast one falters.

Instead the Central Coast bid huffed and puffed but ran out of hype and resolve half way through the race.

Try being a rugby league fan and watching Union and AFL slowly but surely erode rugby league's market share in Queensland. Seeing five year old kids run around in Lions jerseys when they should be wearing rugby league jerseys. No region has suffered more because of Super League.

This transcends which bid is better, which undeniably is the Dolphins. People need to look at the big picture. The battle between AFL and NRL, the battle to be nationally relevant, to keep Origin competitive and the battle for dominance in Queensland.

The Dolphins, Broncos and Cowboys can give the AFL black eyes and have them running out of Queensland with their tail between their legs, whining all the way back to Melbourne.

We have already given the AFL so many free shots, basically hand delivering them the state of Queensland through our neglect and stupidity. If we don't move on the Gold Coast, the AFL will. With so many Melbourne based teams on deaths door and the AFL withe money and the foresight to support a team that relocates, the prospect of a relocated team to the Gold Coast is a reality. If we once again waste another opportunity, the AFL will look like the white knight and we will be left with a cancer in QLD that we can't remove. With so many Victorians in SEQLD and the Gold Coast, they can really be a trojan horse for the AFL.

But if the NRL move before, we will spoil their party.

Bringing in a team that isn't even on the field yet but seems to bring depressing story after depressing story. The last thing we need is to be showing the nation that all the NRL cares about is NSW by giving them ANOTHER team. At best they will bring in crowds that wont impress, at worst they will bring in crowds that will disgrace and embarrass the NRL.

It would be a disaster.

And god forbid if the team isn't successful on the field, because I think the people of Central Coast will have the shortest patience with them.

The Dolphins bring the promise of big crowds that will lift the NRL average and bring with them sell out derbies with the Broncos and Cowboys.
Great rebuttal DH, neatly encompasses all the points in the GC's favour.

mightybears

Bench
razor
for the zillionth time

the central coast never had a team, they had a joke jv run by a mob intent on taking the jv bribe only long enough to get back on their feet financially and they back to brookie
they didn't have to merge,
they would have existed as the manly sea eagles in season 2000
but they were financially crippled so they rode the jv to death

the people of the central coast had been primed for a full time team
norths had done the groung work, got the stadium [and even played a home match at suncorp/lang as requested by the nrl]
and then got shafted
the crowds for the neagles joke were poor because
1. they weren't winning
2. cc people knew what manly were about re the jv

mightybears

Bench
diehard
agree about much of what you say re the gc bid
and in comparison to some of the clowns that can't even get basic facts right
you at least know what your on about

still think the gc blundered bigtime to pick a name of a qld cup team
especially one that reps the 'fortress mentality' of an area like redcliffe
[for southern readers-think 'the shire']

would think the redcliffe mob have a very good case re 'markets' and their use of the name in said market
the afl 'bought off' the brisbane lions soccer team because they didn't want to run the test case
brisbane easts and the wests tigers are not in the same market
and tweed heads and wynnum could argue it out if they wanted

10 k from the gc bid will not buy off redcliffe
and they are smart enough to know that a feeder agreement will not work
as the burleigh bears will also feed, and that the gc bid would want a local team as a feed

if they were smart the gc bid would run a genuine comp for a real unique name
as the brisbane lions soccer team just did
as opposed to the joke comp they ran, before it goes too far
as redcliffe is fundamental enough to drag this out for ever [and they MAY well win]

mightybears

Bench
the arguments re fighting afl on the gold coast
could equally apply to fighting the new A league mariners on the central coast

no less urgent

dimitri

First Grade
mightybears said:
the arguments re fighting afl on the gold coast
could equally apply to fighting the new A league mariners on the central coast

no less urgent
]

hardly

soccer - sorry, football has yet to prove itself with a decent national competition