What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last nights wonder try was a knock on?

morgan123

Juniors
Bit of discussion about this in my house today. Sam from NZ reckons it's a knock on because he deliberately knocked the ball forwards. He reckons if you do that it doesn't have to hit the ground or another player to be a knock on. He also reckons that because it was grounded further forward to where it was orignally touched, it should also be penalised.

I've checked the UK rule book, which does seem to back this up:

Section 10
Accidental 2. If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player
knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it
touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an
opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed.

Now, clearly Slater did it on purpose, so that doesn't apply.

Section 10
Deliberate 1. A player shall be penalised if he deliberately knocks
the ball forward
or passes forward.

There is no mention of the ball having to touch the floor in the second section.

Is there anyone on here who actually knows what the official ruling is on this one? And extending it a bit can you for example deliberately knock the ball over a fullback and run past him to ground it?

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't see how his knocking it forward was clearly intentional. Looked to me like he was trying to prop it up or knock it backwards on his first attempt.

watatank

Coach
You are not allowed to knock the ball over the another player's head or throw the ball over them. If it were ok to do so everyone would be doing it.

There have been a couple of controversial decisions made on this very rule in the NRL and it has been judged both ways. As for the official ruling on the try, it's too hard to tell for mine. I'm happy with the call either way.

broncos70

Juniors
he was never in a position to catch it cleanly and he tried to catch it but knocked it so there was nothing wrong with it..

morgan123

Juniors
nah we were beaten fair and square...but we had em' worried for an hour

Do you reckon we did? Or did they always know it was their's?

I just get the feeling that at times Australia think about the state of the international scene and hold back against England. Those 15 minutes saw 5 tries and they looked like they would score from each set.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
We arent nice to anyone, we dont go easy just for the good of the game. However a couple of things

This is probably the best English side in over a decade
This is one of the weakest Australian forward packs in a long time
England and New Zealand played very well, France to I suppose.
Australia played poorly for our standards, throughout the tournament.

Im not normally one to boast, but considering these factors, the fact Australia still won the tournament and the final by 30 speaks volumes.

roughyedspud

Coach
yeah but the scoreline did'nt really reflect the game did it?

we switched off for 10 minute and the game was gone...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

One could say Australia switched on for 10 minutes and the game/tournament was gone.

I dont want to get into the semantics of the game, but this Australian side did not play anywhere near their potiential due to various reasons. If all four 4Nations sides did play to their potiential, this tournament would have been alot more lopsided.

morgan123

Juniors
Slater definitely lifts the ball forwards to get it past Sinfield. The BBC commentator picked this up, calling it as a knock on. John Kear doing the role of 'expert' in the commentary for the BBC reckons it didn't matter because he had control over the ball.

Cuppy

Juniors

So it when the Aussies switched off in the second half of the first games the English were going to be world beaters. When the English switch off it doesn't reflect the game ?

RL1908

Bench
If you reckon Slater deliberately knocked the ball forward, then it should have been penalised.

You can't deliberately knock the ball forward, even if you recover it yourself before it hits the ground, and even if there is no defender near you.

In this instance, I'm not convinced that Slater did it deliberately.

Interestingly, a close look at (some) intercepts and (many) "bat downs" also could, in many cases, be seen as deliberately knocking the ball forward.

morgan123

Juniors
If you reckon Slater deliberately knocked the ball forward, then it should have been penalised.

Yeah I am convinced he does. The ball is heading for Sinfield's hand but Slater jumps in and tips it basketball style like he's trying to tip a rebound back into the basket. It goes over Sinfield and he does the whole freaky jumping and pushing back thing. He certainly isn't attempting to catch it and it's certainly not accidental.

Is it too late to over turn it?:lol:

dwayneb

Juniors
I dont understand why Slater would want to delibrately knock on the ball. He was over the tryline, he had a catch at the ball to leave him just to fall over for a try. There was really no advantage from knocking the ball forward to regather it, for this reason I say fair try

The Tank

Bench
I dont understand why Slater would want to delibrately knock on the ball. He was over the tryline, he had a catch at the ball to leave him just to fall over for a try. There was really no advantage from knocking the ball forward to regather it, for this reason I say fair try

He knocked it forward because an English player was about to catch it at the same time. I though no try from first look and the replays confirmed it, although the video referee though differently. Freakish play from Slater though - very Storm-like play.