What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last round simultaneous kickoffs

Big Sam

First Grade
If Penrith and the Roosters win this week, we could have the entire top 4 on 34 points going into the last round.

If ever there was a case for having the matches involving these clubs kickoff simultaneously it is this.

Pros:
- builds excitement for fans in a way that has never been seen in Australia
- no team has an advantage knowing that a certain result is required going into a match
- teams have no advantage over others when it comes to extra rest for Week 1 of Finals

Cons:
- TV will never agree to it
- maximum of 4 matches simultaneously due to channel restrictions (Ch9, Fox 1-3)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
we had a two way tie in 2009 with the doggies and dragons playing two different friday night games..

there was the jj giltinan shield* sitting in a taxi doing laps between belmore and kogarah till about midway thru the 2nd half...

*for souffs fans, this is a trophy^ for the team coming first** at the end of the season..

^something you get for winning^^..

**something you achieve by not choking..

^^ see above..

some11

Referee
*for souffs fans, this is a trophy^ for the team coming first** at the end of the season..

^^ see above..

:lol:

Love your work.

Swarzey

Bench
we had a two way tie in 2009 with the doggies and dragons playing two different friday night games..

there was the jj giltinan shield* sitting in a taxi doing laps between belmore and kogarah till about midway thru the 2nd half...

^^ see above..

I love you :lol:

Just brilliant.

Flapper

First Grade
If first past the post wins the comp I could completely understand. While the minor premiership is important it's not that important to warrant simultaneous kickoffs.

nrlnrl

First Grade
If Penrith and the Roosters win this week, we could have the entire top 4 on 34 points going into the last round.

If ever there was a case for having the matches involving these clubs kickoff simultaneously it is this.

Pros:
- builds excitement for fans in a way that has never been seen in Australia
- no team has an advantage knowing that a certain result is required going into a match
- teams have no advantage over others when it comes to extra rest for Week 1 of Finals

Cons:
- TV will never agree to it
- maximum of 4 matches simultaneously due to channel restrictions (Ch9, Fox 1-3)

will never happen ( as you probably realise )

Danish

Referee
Great, so the games will be in sync until the first of many stoppages in each game throws them completely out of whack.

More to the point, if all 4 sides are on 34 points, then unless they end up tied after golden point the MP can only be the winner of the souths roosters game due to their massively superior for and against. Similarly if Manly win then nothing Penrith does will see them leapfrog the Eagles.

Finally, with the 3 games being played on different nights, we can then be assured that the Shield will be at the ground where the minor premiership is won. It can be at Allianz on the thursday and awarded to the winner of that match, or if its tied flown up to Townsville to give to the eagles if they win, then if Manly get rolled flown back to Penrith should they take it out.

No need for soccer-style kickoffs which were historically just brought in to prevent match fixing

Danish

Referee
That's an amusing comment when you think back to what happened at the other end of the ladder in 2009 (allegedly).

I'll never understand why people think the only explanation for the 2009 Roosters giving up a 2 try lead is match fixing. Its like no one watched or other 23 games that year.

I hate the idea. I want to be able to watch multiple games live.
Works in EPL because it's a shit sport and even the biggest fans can't stand watching more than 2-3 games a week.

RWB

Bench
I am. But Fox wouldn't want +3 NRL games on the red button.

Only because they be against having 8 simultaneous games...

If the alternative was to let another network/s show the other 4 games then of course they'd be showing them.

Big Sam

First Grade
Only because they be against having 8 simultaneous games...

If the alternative was to let another network/s show the other 4 games then of course they'd be showing them.

I'm thinking you could do 3 games each at 2pm and 4pm on Sunday. In each timeslot, one would be on Ch9 and the other two on Fox.

Of course you could play dead rubbers like for example Wests/Cronulla and Newcastle/Dragons (let's assume St Merge is out of contention) on the Friday and Saturday.

Big Sam

First Grade
I'll never understand why people think the only explanation for the 2009 Roosters giving up a 2 try lead is match fixing. Its like no one watched or other 23 games that year.

If the game had been held simultaneously with Cronulla v us, nobody would even think it.

hunters

Juniors

^^ see above..
You mean that trophy South have won 8 times and St.George Illawarra twice?

Parra

Referee
Should happen every Sunday.

We could have double points for the final round. Be worth it for the blow-ups.