What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Vic Mackey

Referee
Well he isn’t going there because you are his first choice, the biggest factor for him is money he hasn’t hidden that, so it seems very mercenary

well yes its professional sport, how many players arent at their club for money?

i dare say any player not at the roosters or storm arent at their first choice

super_coach

First Grade
If I'm the Tigers and his value has dropped for every other club, there is no need for me to offer a million. I have no competitors pushing up his value to warrant me offering that much.

The only way he still gets a mill is if the Tigers are dumb (although, I guess I can't rule that out)

Mate you support a club that players line up to play for unders and the odd brown paper lunch bag

I support a club that has to pay massive overs for players who are over the hill and busted. So a million bucks for a kid just out of nappies, who is big strong fast and can kick goals is a no brainer for the Tigers

Das Hassler

Bench
I doubt its just about the money....as with everyone a major factor but if it was the only thing he would have signed with the tigers by now...my guess is he's just taking the time to weigh up where he fits best. ..from his reputation Madge is not a coach for everyone yet could be just who he needs...i dont think he's showing a mercenary attirude...just weighing it all up....non indigenous players have less to weigh up...shouldn't be the case but it is

betcats

Referee
well yes its professional sport, how many players arent at their club for money?

i dare say any player not at the roosters or storm arent at their first choice

Lots of players accept lesser offers to stay at their clubs. Dylan Walker just took less than Penrith offered to stay at manly, it would happen more than you think not everyone is a mercenary.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Lots of players accept lesser offers to stay at their clubs. Dylan Walker just took less than Penrith offered to stay at manly, it would happen more than you think not everyone is a mercenary.

Well that’s to go to Penrith...

Yes they often accept less, but unlikely to accept half of what others are offering. Would you for instance call James Tamou a mercenary? RTS?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Broncos players frequently accept 25-40% less of what they're offered elsewhere for the privilege of playing in Brisbane.

Fifita is staying put because the Broncos got him out of prison. Lol how romantic.

franklin2323

Immortal

Yes they often accept less, but unlikely to accept half of what others are offering. Would you for instance call James Tamou a mercenary? RTS?

I don’t remember both of them openly flaunting themselves to other clubs. Big difference and whoever is advising him is doing a poor job

Spot On

Coach
I doubt its just about the money....as with everyone a major factor but if it was the only thing he would have signed with the tigers by now...my guess is he's just taking the time to weigh up where he fits best. ..from his reputation Madge is not a coach for everyone yet could be just who he needs...i dont think he's showing a mercenary attirude...just weighing it all up....non indigenous players have less to weigh up...shouldn't be the case but it is

Are there many different offers atm to 'weigh up'?

Das Hassler

Bench
Are there many different offers atm to 'weigh up'?

I'd say so...
somewhere for 12 months then souths?
GC on a backended deal?
Union?
How would it be under Madge
etc etc
Moreso realistic possibilities to consider than offers as such but still things to consider....his talent is still valid

Spot On

Coach
I'd say so...
somewhere for 12 months then souths?
GC on a backended deal?
Union?
How would it be under Madge
etc etc
Moreso realistic possibilities to consider than offers as such but still things to consider....his talent is still valid

... and so turn down 800K a season to play for the strongest club in the comp for maybe an offer from Souths and Wests??

Union is not an option. They are a complete mess and stated as much.

I would be shocked if he would go to the GC. Absolute stupidity.

Not much on offer as far as I can see.

betcats

Referee

No I wouldn’t call them mercenary. Would you say Tamou and Rts handled their situations in the same manor Latrell has?

As I recall RTS signing with nz took everyone by surprise, that’s a long way off how Latrell has handled it, I’d call it apples and oranges.

Tamou wanted back to Sydney because of his wife and he didn’t jerk anyone around.

Edit: I think a lot of players are mercenary though it’s not a bad thing necessarily. Just pointing out Latrell has been about as mercenary as it gets in the nrl.

Last edited:

BadnMean

Juniors
As mercenary as it gets..?

I reckon it gets a lot more mercenary than a player who has only ever been at one club, kindly saying he would like to see what market rates are before he makes potentially the largest contract deal he will ever make and certainly the weightiest decision he as ever made in his 22 years...

How dare he test the waters. What a mercenary. Should have bowed & scraped & 3 bags full sir-ed & kissed uncle nicks ring in gratitude.

Roosters threw the hissy fit & yanked the offer when a player, a one club player, said he'd just wait and see before committing. Raiders managed to see Jack ask to test the market without public hysteria. etc etc.

Tiger5150

Bench

I reckon it gets a lot more mercenary than a player who has only ever been at one club, kindly saying he would like to see what market rates are before he makes potentially the largest contract deal he will ever make and certainly the weightiest decision he as ever made in his 22 years...

How dare he test the waters. What a mercenary. Should have bowed & scraped & 3 bags full sir-ed & kissed uncle nicks ring in gratitude.

Roosters threw the hissy fit & yanked the offer when a player, a one club player, said he'd just wait and see before committing. Raiders managed to see Jack ask to test the market without public hysteria. etc etc.

and this mercenary has spoken to two clubs. Just two. Out of control.

IMO he always thought he could stay at the Roosters and has had a rude awakening. I think he hasnt really been taking it seriously yet,

betcats

Referee

Tigers threw a hissy fit and withdrew their offer also. He said more than once he wants as much money as possible, he has said that is what is important to him, good for him I hope he gets it, but it’s mercenary I mean how else would you describe it?

Clubs have their players test the market all the time, how often does a player have two clubs withdraw their offer publicly like that?

Last edited:

no name

Coach
No I wouldn’t call them mercenary. Would you say Tamou and Rts handled their situations in the same manor Latrell has.

Tamou wanted back to Sydney because of his wife and he didn’t jerk anyone around.
I reckon Tamou probably handled his contract negotiations similarly to Latrell’s, but the media weren’t as interested in his move as they are in Latrell’s so he didn’t get as much of a beat up.
In Feb 2016, Tamou indicated his desire to stay in Townsville.
https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/james-tamou-indicates-desire-to-stay-in-townsville-past-2016/news-story/93b9a9c09d39afc6ef56e814e4432a28
T
here was a smattering of will he won’t he articles until he was confirmed as going to Penrith in June 2016, four months later.
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2016/06/16/panthers-secure-james-tamou/

This article states that up to 3 clubs tabled offers to Tamou
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/80908525/james-tamou-to-leave-north-queensland-agent

So, he was negotiating with four clubs (if you believe the media) over four months trying to work out the best deal for his family.
I’m glad he was given the time and opportunity to do that and am sure he is happy with his decision.
Latrell on the other hand has attempted to go through a similar process and two months in has had literally hundreds of articles written about him absolutely hounding him for any possible, probable or imagined move he makes.
The NRL needs to do something about this one way or another.
Either work out a specific transfer window or f**k parasitic journos off who just make shit up.

betcats

Referee
I reckon Tamou probably handled his contract negotiations similarly to Latrell’s, but the media weren’t as interested in his move as they are in Latrell’s so he didn’t get as much of a beat up.
In Feb 2016, Tamou indicated his desire to stay in Townsville.
https://www.townsvillebulletin.com....6/news-story/93b9a9c09d39afc6ef56e814e4432a28
There was a smattering of will he won’t he articles until he was confirmed as going to Penrith in June 2016, four months later.
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2016/06/16/panthers-secure-james-tamou/

This article states that up to 3 clubs tabled offers to Tamou
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/80908525/james-tamou-to-leave-north-queensland-agent

So, he was negotiating with four clubs (if you believe the media) over four months trying to work out the best deal for his family.
I’m glad he was given the time and opportunity to do that and am sure he is happy with his decision.
Latrell on the other hand has attempted to go through a similar process and two months in has had literally hundreds of articles written about him absolutely hounding him for any possible, probable or imagined move he makes.
The NRL needs to do something about this one way or another.
Either work out a specific transfer window or f**k parasitic journos off who just make shit up.

Latrell apparently met with a bulldogs official during grand final week and Mundine was there also, if you believe the media. If you believe the media he has more than one party calling clubs on his behalf, and if you believe the media they even called RU for him.

Maybe Tamou was mercenary but he didn’t piss anyone off during his negotiating as far as I recall. He had been at the cowboys for a long time and yet they didn’t withdraw their offer when he started talking to other clubs did they?

no name

Coach
Latrell apparently met with a bulldogs official during grand final week and Mundine was there also, if you believe the media. If you believe the media he has more than one party calling clubs on his behalf, and if you believe the media they even called RU for him.

Maybe Tamou was mercenary but he didn’t piss anyone off during his negotiating as far as I recall. He had been at the cowboys for a long time and yet they didn’t withdraw their offer when he started talking to other clubs did they?
I don’t believe the media.

And I reckon clubs would get ticked off all the time when players they are negotiating with don’t eventually sign. We just don’t hear about them being pissed off.

Something happened early on in the reporting of Latrell’s negotiations and somehow every Tom, Dick and Harry both in the media and public have seen it as their right to pile on to him on any unsubstantiated claim.

I know the couple of test matches against Pakistan were boring as f**k, but surely these journos have something better to write about. Just let him do his thing and everyone can comment once he makes his decision.

betcats

Referee
I don’t believe the media.

And I reckon clubs would get ticked off all the time when players they are negotiating with don’t eventually sign. We just don’t hear about them being pissed off.

Something happened early on in the reporting of Latrell’s negotiations and somehow every Tom, Dick and Harry both in the media and public have seen it as their right to pile on to him on any unsubstantiated claim.

I know the couple of test matches against Pakistan were boring as f**k, but surely these journos have something better to write about. Just let him do his thing and everyone can comment once he makes his decision.

Typical, I love it when people will use the media as evidence for their own argument but refuse to believe anything from the media that doesn't line up with their opinion, are they only accurate when reporting about Jimmy Tamou? that's seems legit hahah

Well I don’t believe the media or just the fact Latrell is testing the market has caused multiple clubs to withdraw their offers. The roosters went from giving his massively obese brother a first grade contract last year to keep him happy to not wanting him at all now, Maguire went to Taree to make him an offer they were that keen and then what happened? He stuffed them around and they withdrew that offer, blaming the media is typical RL rubbish, Latrell has just handled this very poorly imo.

The idea that it’s the media’s fault clubs aren’t interested in paying Latrell what he wants just seems ludicrous to me. He is lucky the tigers next option didn’t want them either otherwise he’d really be lacking options.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The only mercenaries here are the media, exploiting his situation for their own benefit. They have bugger all else to write about atm and they have been relentless.

Even the indigenous team not singing the national anthem has Latrell as the main image, again because it gets clicks.

Over it.

Latest posts