What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell racially abused

Wizardman

First Grade
As a society, I think we are approaching the issue of racial abuse a lot better than what we did in the past. In my lifetime, I can remember casual racism being the absolute norm in social circles I've been involved in. Over my lifetime, I am seeing less of it which is a great thing. We still have a way to go in making racial abuse taboo in society. It was not all that long ago that people actually blamed Adam Goodes for pointing out racism, yet he was slammed for pointing out that it was a kid that did it.....not unlike what happened to Latrell a few days ago. The crowd, society and media reaction to the Latrell incident is a shitload more positive than what happened to Adam Goodes.

While we are at equal rights for all in society, the next step is to make lgbtiq hating just as taboo. That is a long way away sadly.

Pippen94

First Grade
As a society, I think we are approaching the issue of racial abuse a lot better than what we did in the past. In my lifetime, I can remember casual racism being the absolute norm in social circles I've been involved in. Over my lifetime, I am seeing less of it which is a great thing. We still have a way to go in making racial abuse taboo in society. It was not all that long ago that people actually blamed Adam Goodes for pointing out racism, yet he was slammed for pointing out that it was a kid that did it.....not unlike what happened to Latrell a few days ago. The crowd, society and media reaction to the Latrell incident is a shitload more positive than what happened to Adam Goodes.

While we are at equal rights for all in society, the next step is to make lgbtiq hating just as taboo. That is a long way away sadly.

Well said

Pippen94

First Grade
A 15 year old yelled "Black Dog"...

Very unwarranted but its not worth all this media.

I've heard terms like "White Boy".. "Useless white idiot" at games and nothing is said lol

I've never heard those comments at games. Heard plenty of black this & that tho. Criticism of latrell is racially charged whether ppl want to admit or not.

Wizardman

First Grade

I've heard terms like "White Boy".. "Useless white idiot" at games and nothing is said lol
This comment is absolute proof of my earlier comment......we still have a way to go to educate people that racial abuse is an absolute no go area.

Personally, I've never heard any of the "white" type comments that you have alluded to. Even if what you say is correct, ONE of those two groups cops it from every angle because of their colour.....I'll let you work out which group that is.

Racism needs to be called out, not accepted.

Floodwaters

Juniors
There you go again! Bigotry ALWAYS needs to be called out....otherwise it is accepted crowd and society behaviour.

Called out.. ok.. but all this media attention?

All the media attention will do Letrell more harm then the "Fire up you black dog" comment.

All the media attention will do Letrell more harm then the "Fire up you black dog" comment.
Think the media attention is warranted. Brings out an issue too many of us want to pretend isn’t there or is not as bad as it seems. That kid is embarrassed now, hopefully remorseful too. The attention puts any other racist merkin on notice.

Pierced Soul

First Grade

So your solution is to ignore it and allow the racism to continue? It's not the worst slur used against an indigenous person, but it's 2023, education is better than it was 50 years ago and no one should have to be subject to this ignorant racism anymore.

If it didn't get the attention it has, it just becomes another racist comment swept under the rug and in a way "accepted", by virtue of the fact nothing is said

Last Week

Bench

Classic example of "whataboutmeism".

I've never heard any reference to "white" anything from a fan, but even if it did happen, what is your point? That people just need to get over it?

Pneuma

First Grade

Having directly witnessed racist abuse of the sought Latrell was subjected to I 100% believe we have to stamp this right out. It’s gut wrenching when you hear it. Christian Welch called it out on the offsiders this morning when Roy Masters took your approach. There is no place for it.

Valheru

Coach
Think the media attention is warranted. Brings out an issue too many of us want to pretend isn’t there or is not as bad as it seems. That kid is embarrassed now, hopefully remorseful too. The attention puts any other racist merkin on notice.

Media attention is fine and warranted.

I think the calls for a life ban from going to the footy are way over the top. In this case you are talking about a ~60 year punishment. A year or 2 seems more than sufficient.

People can and do evolve, learn, mature, change their perspective etc. Especially 15 year old males who are the dumbest of the human species.

Bazal

Post Whore
At least they didn't call him lazy!

All jokes aside...

Not a spectacular take dude...

I've played country footy and heard that shit and I've lived in South East Asia, which is a preeeeeetty racist place. But I also understand that it's not at all comparable to racially charged language aimed at people who have essentially not been considered to be people in many places for most of their recent history. Context is everything.

Very different using the kind of abuse that's been used to dehumanise an entire race for hundreds of years.

Wizardman

First Grade
Classic example of "whataboutmeism".

I've never heard any reference to "white" anything from a fan, but even if it did happen, what is your point? That people just need to get over it?
It is also a classic case of a person completely failing to understand the damage of racism because they have never truly suffered from it in their lifetime. This attitude is still prevalent in some parts of our society.

Floodwaters

Juniors
It is also a classic case of a person completely failing to understand the damage of racism because they have never truly suffered from it in their lifetime. This attitude is still prevalent in some parts of our society.

I'm against racism but "Fire up you black dog" which has been reported that the 15 year old Roosters fan said... isn't that bad imho.

Latest posts