What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

adamkungl

Immortal
You reckon you'd stay in your job if a competitor offered you a 20% pay rise? Tax is tax, you pay it either way... it's 20%... for Mitchell that's an extra 80k+ per year POST tax.

Like what the f**k are you talking about?!

Not that simple
Look further ahead than 1 contract - is playing for the Titans (for example) for $1M going to give him the same long term value as playing for the Roosters (or Storm, or even Raiders) for $800k?
Can make up 80k just in rep money. Despite being dropped from Origin this year, he obviously has better chance of playing rep football at a top 4 team than a bottom 4 team.
Then there's the potential advertising/media/TPA earnings and post-career earnings..

Not saying that he *should* stay for less at Roosters - just saying that when you're talking long term millions, $80k on a single contract isn't necessarily a big advantage.
Best result would be getting $1M a year at a good club with serious top 4 aspirations. Have his cake and eat it too.

betcats

Referee
Of course there is more than money involved, and as @Babyface O'reilly said, many people do turn down more money to stay in jobs and organisations they like

But lets not pretend that in an industry where your career is more than likely over at age 34, that money is not a huge factor in these decisions. And 20% extra over the course of a short career is nothing to be sneezed at.

That post was in direct response to someone suggesting 20% extra is really not a lot and he shouldnt be moving for that... Latrell might not take those offers and he may take less to stay at the roosters (Attn: NRL and their market value rule which they've arbitrarily applied recently for Jordan Rapana) but lets be f**king serious and honest about this. 5 years @ $800k is 4mil... 5 years @ 950k is 4.75mil. A full 750k more over the life of a 5 year contract...

for a guy who's probably only got 10 years left of significant income, that's substantial and cant be dismissed as if that difference is somehow inconsequential

Forgive me but you brought up 20 percent not anyone you quoted. The guy just asked how much extra 900-950 would be in the hand he didn’t even imply it was insignificant.

adamkungl

Immortal
If he plays well, he's going to be playing origin at any club he signs for.
The roosters endorsements shouldnt be a factor, if they're genuine TPA's he'll get them where he moves... if they're not on the table unless he plays for the roosters, id submit those endorsements arent genuine TPA's and should thus be included in the cap ;)

Not necessarily.

Roosters can't contractually promise TPAs to induce someone to sign.
But if someone wants to sponsor a Roosters player specifically, that's not illegal, as long as this isn't tied to contract negotiations.
And more broadly, a sponsor is more likely to throw money at a big name at the top of the ladder and rep footy, than the bottom. And at a big city club, than a regional or suburban club, etc.

Then again, another sponsor might want Latrell Mitchell as the face of their advertising no matter where he plays.

betcats

Referee
It’s pretty safe to say you are more likely to attract sponsors playing for the Sydney roosters then you are any team not named Brisbane.

typicalfan

Coach
Latrell would consider himself an elite player and would probably consider himself able to get TPAs regardless of who he signs with.

The other issue is, is he happy at the Roosters? It doesn't appear so, and playing for back to back premiers didn't prevent him from being dropped from origin by a pro Roosters coach.

nick87

Coach
Kayln Ponga plays for a rubbish team, in a shit market and he's doing just fine in terms of his endorsements and rep honours.

Im not disputing playing for a wildly successful club helps and there are advantages that can be had for playing for the roosters that close the gap, and maybe that's enough to keep him.

Im just saying in a industry where your career is 10-12 years, when you're about to sign a deal that is likely going to take nearly half of that, and almost all of it in your physical prime, the difference between 800k and 950k is significant enough that it would reasonable for him to decide to take up that deal.

The idea that if he takes up that deal, that it's some sort of gross mismanagement on his behalf or that taking that deal would be on the back of bad advice isnt accurate imo

betcats

Referee
Latrell would consider himself an elite player and would probably consider himself able to get TPAs regardless of who he signs with.

He probably can but he has already lost a lot of shine this year. Imagine him putting in some of his worst efforts from this year for the titans or another struggling club rather then a club that is dominating, the Criticism of him would be far worse when he doesn’t have a stud team to cover for him. The shine will keep going away. The endorsements will be less and less(assuming his attitude doesn’t change).

nick87

Coach
Forgive me but you brought up 20 percent not anyone you quoted. The guy just asked how much extra 900-950 would be in the hand he didn’t even imply it was insignificant.

I read that post as being passively critical at the notion Mitchell could leave to take up the other deal. But it is entirely possible (or even probable haha) those were earnest questions and i've misinterpreted them

typicalfan

Coach
He probably can but he has already lost a lot of shine this year. Imagine him putting in some of his worst efforts from this year for the titans or another struggling club rather then a club that is dominating, the Criticism of him would be far worse when he doesn’t have a stud team to cover for him. The shine will keep going away. The endorsements will be less and less(assuming his attitude doesn’t change).
That imo comes back to the question, is he actually happy at the Roosters. He may think he is an elite player while the Roosters may think he isn't quite. He is probably considered less important than Tedesco, Keary and Cordner and maybe more, talk of him needing these players to make him look good and going missing in games.

This is like Inglis at the Storm when he was considered less critical than the big 3 and he was moved on when the salary cap caught up with them.

nick87

Coach
I think honestly this is a pretty complicated decision for someone like Latrell Mitchell given the year he's just had... and i just always push back against this idea that players should take less to stay somewhere... The plays sacrifice a lot to play this game and they have a right to do what is in their best financial interests.

It maybe when he and his team sit down and nut it out, that 800k a year to play for the roosters IS a better move than playing for 950k a year at the Bulldogs or Parra or whoever. Or maybe it wont. All im saying is it shouldnt be so easily dismissed and assumed Latrell can make up that money by staying at the roosters... i mean shit, playing for the rooster didnt help him with SOO duties in game 2-3 this year, he was healthy scratches for this years Origin games 2/3... and there is no reason right now to think Tommy T or Simple Jack will be missing out on selection next year.

There is a lot to consider here.

Of course, but the argument that 20% is nothing is ludicrous.

Not saying that 20% is nothing, mate and I’m not going to begrudge anyone who wants to get what they can. I’m agreeing with Spring’s notion that there’s more to a job than money. Maybe the deciding factor for Latrell is length of contract or a halves role in order for him to accept a sub million contract.

Tiger5150

Bench
I think if Latrell goes to a weaker club, like mine it is probable that he will hurt his rep chances. Not necessarily due to his performance in a lesser team, but its likely in a weaker team, at the money he is asking for, he will play fullback and Teddy will have a mortgage on that spot in any rep team. Out of sight out of mind when it comes to rep selection at centre if you are playing fullback

adamkungl

Immortal
Money aside

Latrell under the right coach and right club will be an all time star of the game and I'll be happy to watch him do it.
I truly hope he doesn't waste his talent at some dead end club like St George getting coached by Mary.

Tigers might be a good fit. Quality coach building a squad, at least 1 good half, with a player like Latrell and some decent mid-level signings they could be realistically challenging for a top 4 spot in 2 years.

betcats

Referee
LOL, I thought of him about 1 min after posting. Of course you are right. Says more about the dearth of good centres IMO but Turbo is too good to leave out, will LM be the same?

If he is in good form he can get picked playing for any club but the guy is still brushing fitler from being dropped, brushing the coach isn't a good way to get picked, he played a lazy game and got dropped for it and has spat the dummy, fitler wont want him back unless he has to. He is exactly the opposite type of personality fitler wants in the blues.

axl rose

Bench
LOL, I thought of him about 1 min after posting. Of course you are right. Says more about the dearth of good centres IMO but Turbo is too good to leave out, will LM be the same?
Well they left him out anyway. Shitty attitude? who knows.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fittler slammed his Roos performance too.
Latrell will need a blindingly good opening 8 rounds to get picked for NSW.

If he's busy having a go at journos and punters on instagram, good luck

yobbo84

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Souths. Perhaps not this contract, but at some point.