What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laurie Daley and NSW

Sphagnum

Coach
I was watching that Matty Johns shit after the footy last night and they had Laurie on.

Does anyone else think that NSW will be a remarkable failure this year with that Merkin in charge?

He is a dribbler who categorically said that Mitchell Pearce is just about the first player picked because they have invested so much into him already and he is ready for origin.

Good footy player but I reckon he'll do an ordinary job as coach.

SK mark two.

What are your thoughts?

(It probably doesn't matter who is in charge, QLD will win again but it's about respectability and being competitive)

BennyV

Referee
:lol::lol:
WHEN

Well he's failed in 9 origins so far, plus a Grand Final...i mean, i guess he technically 'played' those games...

Seriously, it will take some insane brilliance from some individuals in the NSW team to overcome the failures of Daley and Pearce this year...I'm thinking possibly from Farah, Hayne, maybe the Morris boys, Bird - something special from a couple of these players MIGHT snatch us the series. Then Daley and Pearce will take a whole lot of credit and they will be reinstated next year, and well start a new run for QLD...

Amadaca

Juniors
mitchell has showed that he is capable of playing on the big stage unlike
adam reynolds

Spoken like a true nobody.

Pearce is utter shit. I have to endure him weekly at club level...we should all get a break from his perpetual failure at rep time.

He spent all of last season & round one this year getting his ass positively handed to him by Reynolds.

Amadaca

Juniors
Well he's failed in 9 origins so far, plus a Grand Final...i mean, i guess he technically 'played' those games...

Seriously, it will take some insane brilliance from some individuals in the NSW team to overcome the failures of Daley and Pearce this year...I'm thinking possibly from Farah, Hayne, maybe the Morris boys, Bird - something special from a couple of these players MIGHT snatch us the series. Then Daley and Pearce will take a whole lot of credit and they will be reinstated next year, and well start a new run for QLD...

LOL @ banking on Hayne to save anything.

God-King Dean

Immortal
As far as NSW fans go, he is the anti-christ.

He's the ultimate. The textbook. The cliche of selection stupidity.

Those inane, mind boggling selection that had us slitting our wrists, all happened while he was a slector; and now he's the coach.....

Amadaca

Juniors
As far as NSW fans go, he is the anti-christ.

He's the ultimate. The textbook. The cliche of selection stupidity.

Those inane, mind boggling selection that had us slitting our wrists, all happened while he was a slector; and now he's the coach.....

I'm convinced he defected years ago & is working for them.

His intellect is certainly defective.

Fire

First Grade
Pearce plays for NSW.

Cronk, Smith, Slater, Thurston, Inglis for QLD.

We're not a chance.

Origin is just an excuse to get pissed mid-week until the current QLD players retire.

big hit!

Bench
There are options for Pearce. I just don't want to hear another flog mention either of the Reynolds or Sam Williams. It's too early for them and throwing them in now will just f**k up another three options for the next decade.

Origin isn't just about throwing in the form player of the month. That's been NSW's strategy over the years and those players selected get exposed.

Selectors need to identify representative playmakers who demonstrate skill attributes which aren't being piggybacked through the influence of dominant players at their club. A Reynolds & Sutton are being supported by a cast of dominant forwards and strength at FB and DH. J Reynolds was similar last season with the Bulldog forwards and Barba. What have those players shown off their own back? Soward was the same in Saints Bennett years.

Mullen, Carney, Maloney, Pearce. The halves combo will be coming out of that quartet. Neither of the younger folks will get a gig unless performances in the first 2 matches from any of these four are abysmal. Frankly, i'd wouldn't consider any other players until next season.

Amadaca

Juniors
There are options for Pearce. I just don't want to hear another flog mention either of the Reynolds or Sam Williams. It's too early for them and throwing them in now will just f**k up another three options for the next decade.

Origin isn't just about throwing in the form player of the month. That's been NSW's strategy over the years and those players selected get exposed.

Selectors need to identify representative playmakers who demonstrate skill attributes which aren't being piggybacked through the influence of dominant players at their club. A Reynolds & Sutton are being supported by a cast of dominant forwards and strength at FB and DH. J Reynolds was similar last season with the Bulldog forwards and Barba. What have those players shown off their own back? Soward was the same in Saints Bennett years.

Mullen, Carney, Maloney, Pearce. The halves combo will be coming out of that quartet. Neither of the younger folks will get a gig unless performances in the first 2 matches from any of these four are abysmal. Frankly, i'd wouldn't consider any other players until next season.

How about one who's been the form halfback of the past 12+ months?

Tyko7

Juniors
My 2 cents worth:

I personally wouldn't pick Pearce for NSW after failing to contribute over the past 3 years but if Daley sticks to his word and picks Pearce he must also pick Maloney.

Pearce and Maloney (also Jennings) play with each other every weekend. We need play-makers that know how to play with each other. Play-makers that can bring their club combination with them.

I am a big fan of A.Reynolds but I really can't see anyone else partnering him other than Sutton himself.

Pearce and Maloney or A.Reynolds and Sutton.

WE NEED FAMILIAR COMBINATIONS

I have a feeling that Daley will only take us backwards. Its going to be a tough year for NSW.

BennyV

Referee
My 2 cents worth:

I personally wouldn't pick Pearce for NSW after failing to contribute over the past 3 years but if Daley sticks to his word and picks Pearce he must also pick Maloney.

Pearce and Maloney (also Jennings) play with each other every weekend. We need play-makers that know how to play with each other. Play-makers that can bring their club combination with them.

I am a big fan of A.Reynolds but I really can't see anyone else partnering him other than Sutton himself.

Pearce and Maloney or A.Reynolds and Sutton.

WE NEED FAMILIAR COMBINATIONS

I have a feeling that Daley will only take us backwards. Its going to be a tough year for NSW.

Halves combinations are about looking for players strengths and weaknesses, and balancing them to get the best range of skills. They have nothing to do with 'club combinations' - just because 2 players played together and are 'familiar' doesnt mean they automatically make a good combination.
Examples of strengths making good combinations:
Cronk (kicking, organisation, passing) with JT (running, 'show-and-go')
Reynolds (organising, kicking) with Sutton (running, offloads, tackle breaking) - Madge has given them these jobs at club level.

Maloneys strengths are his running and passing game. They would sit well with the likes of Reynolds or Mullen. Carney would also sit well with Mullen I think.
Pearces strength is his unique ability to go missing in games, let NSW down and make others the scapegoat. Thus, if he is definitely in the team, his skills would balance with Andrew Johns, Peter Stirling or Jesus.

In conclusion, you are correct in saying that Laurie Fail-ey will only take us backwards.

Tone83

Juniors
Pearce and jesus would be a good combo, you could crucify jesus after each loss and absolve pearce of his sins.

Latest posts